Finding time with kids around - Mothering Forums
Arts & Crafts > Finding time with kids around
SweetSilver's Avatar SweetSilver 10:15 AM 09-03-2011

How do you do it?  The kids seem amused when I pick up some knitting or crochet, but the bliss ends  when I have to set it down to intervene, start dinner, whatever.  I am not one of those knitters that can knit/ crochet and watch something else.  Maybe on the body of a sweater, or if I don't need to really pay attention to something. And I am just exhausted after the kids go to bed.

When did it get easier for you?

4evermom's Avatar 4evermom 09:08 AM 09-05-2011

When the kids are older, lol. 

Ds used to get excited, in a cat with a ball of yarn kind of way, when I tried to knit/crochet when he was younger.  He's good now about being patient when I tell him I'll help him with something after I finish my row.  It depends on the pattern.  Right now I'm doing something new and need to focus a bit to keep track of where I am in the pattern.  If it's something simple or a pattern I've fully absorbed into my brain, I can put it down and pick it up easily and not pay to much attention while I'm doing it.  Sometimes I have two projects going, something mindless or simple for those times when I have the time to knit but can't fully focus, and something more complicated for when I don't need to interact with others much.

SweetSilver's Avatar SweetSilver 09:25 AM 09-05-2011

My girls love "knitting" with all the colorful crochet hooks and a ball of yarn.  But that lasts for a bit, then it's "Mama, can you help me set this up?"  So, I guess maybe even one or two rows can be counted as a victory?

I bought the girls short bamboo needles and let them pick up their own yarn, but they aren't interested in learning how to knit, not yet anyway.  My oldest really just wanted to start collecting yarn (RED FLAG!!!!  My grandmother had whole rooms filled--packed floor to ceiling-- with very well organized boxes of yarn.  Thousands and thousands of skeins.)

I am lucky if I can knit a tiny doll scarf, or crochet a tiny blanket for their fairies.  Again, maybe I should count that as a victory?

I think what's bugging me *right now* is that I've really wanted to get started on this sweater pattern for the girls and haven't even had time to duck into the yarn store for yarn and new needles.  It's nothing tricky-- I like simple, meditative projects.  But I just don't think that's gonna happen this year.  Oh, well.  That means I have over a year to get the sweaters ready for fall-next-year.  (When they'll hate the colors I picked because they had been favorites, but now are long-forgotten memories.  Of course.)

zebra15's Avatar zebra15 06:33 PM 09-05-2011

I dont remember how old your kids are (im thinking 4 and 6??)- and I think you homeschool too??

When my DS was younger I would craft when he was taking classes - so I would send him in to story time and I would crochet for those 30 mins.  Or during an hour long computer class he started he was 6-7 yrs old.  I would be bold and take my yarn with me,  DS loved the library so he would spend hours there playing at the train table, lego table etc and I could get some crafting done.

SweetSilver's Avatar SweetSilver 07:03 PM 09-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post

I dont remember how old your kids are (im thinking 4 and 6??)- and I think you homeschool too??

When my DS was younger I would craft when he was taking classes - so I would send him in to story time and I would crochet for those 30 mins.  Or during an hour long computer class he started he was 6-7 yrs old.  I would be bold and take my yarn with me,  DS loved the library so he would spend hours there playing at the train table, lego table etc and I could get some crafting done.

Yes, that's us!  (We are that?  Oh, forget it.....)  I love your suggestions.  I am pretty hands-on for some of their activities for now, but I see that transforming into what you are describing.  My oldest will be trying out 4H next month, and I might find some time there, or may be not!  We'll see.  Great suggestions, anyhow.  I'll look for more opportunities like that.

Today I just went for it.  Mended a handmade sweater they've outgrown to give to a good friend.  That reminded them of the crochet hook game.  I showed them how to crochet a chain, but they were more interested in the hooks.  Started another fairy blanket with the last of the Debbie Bliss skein, got the crochet hook confiscated headscratch.gif, oh well! ( om.gif )  Started knitting a little toy blanket and they watched while they made the crochet hooks into "fairy brooms" for their homemade paper dolls to ride all around the house.  They played this fun game (liberally peppered with incantations a la Hermione) for over an hour!  You'd think, "Well, there you go!"  But we'll see.  I don't know that my luck will be so fortunate next time.

Time will tell.  I just need to not give up, but there's so much to do!  I had to set aside basic tasks like dishes and watering the garden to get to it today, plus spend nearly an hour helping work out a fight that went too far.

bandyr's Avatar bandyr 01:55 PM 09-08-2011

Traffic lights!  And, park play dates and library play.  Doctor appointments where I get to go by myself :)  And car trips!  

SAHM to three homebirth nurslings

SweetSilver's Avatar SweetSilver 07:12 PM 09-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandyr View Post

Doctor appointments where I get to go by myself :)  

I love these.  Forget the spa-- all I need is a doc appt to wait for luxuriously, talk with the doc without interruptions from impatient kids, maybe hit the thrift store, library, grab a coffee milkshake on my way home.  Yes, I'll remember to bring my knitting.  Gotta do this more often!

guatemama1's Avatar guatemama1 12:15 AM 09-13-2011

I just have 1 little one but I find myself counting stitches while knitting/crocheting, getting interrupted, recounting, repeat. I lose track so often I feel like I count each row or whatever 5 or 6+ times before I actually finish it :) Recently I caught my DH mindlessly counting along with me as I was in the midst of one of my recounts.. :) Just can't take it too seriously anymore :)

SweetSilver's Avatar SweetSilver 09:12 AM 09-13-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by guatemama1 View Post

I just have 1 little one but I find myself counting stitches while knitting/crocheting, getting interrupted, recounting, repeat. I lose track so often I feel like I count each row or whatever 5 or 6+ times before I actually finish it :) Recently I caught my DH mindlessly counting along with me as I was in the midst of one of my recounts.. :) Just can't take it too seriously anymore :)

Markers markers markers!  I have 2 different kinds of markers: ones to fit over the needle and little hook-y things for counting rows or marking increases etc.  Oh, and those little brass safety pins that don't have that loop-y thing on the bottom so it won't get caught in the yarn.  The danger with all those is that if I get them out, I know they'll want to play with them like they do with the crochet hooks.  Every time I get out my accessories box (which unfortunately is heart-shaped with sequins and beads on top) my girls stare wide-eyed at all the goodies inside.  There I draw the line.  Kind of.  They can play with them at the table.  But it's been so long since I've been knitting that they've forgotten I've ever let them play.  So, for now they Respect The Box.  They do remember playing with the crochet hooks, though, and I'm still finding them here and there amongst the toys.  Gotta get some new ones.  My oldest chewed on the ends of one or two as a toddler and they snag and are unusable.  Maybe I'll give them those ones.

SweetSilver's Avatar SweetSilver 08:09 PM 11-26-2011

Update:  one sweater down, and one started.  Yeehah!  My girls really love when I plunk down in the morning with my coffee and knit while they play.  The first sweater was all red, and I think I was seeing green for 2 weeks after.  The second is a taxi cab yellow.  

I am using  a top-down pattern which is new to me.  I'm enjoying this method, though I do prefer knitting smaller pieces rather than knit on the entire piece at once.  But worth it not having to do all that finishing work!  I found a nice part-wool acrylic yarn that made the sweaters affordable. 

I found that knitting the trickier parts (lots of counting and refering to the pattern) at night when the girls are asleep was a goo trick.  Then I could knit on the body at gym, watching TV, 4-H, etc.  

I'm learning to do the simple diagonal dishcloth to have for those mindless moments.  I have a lot of extra yarn to use up, and this pattern is just perect.

Thanks, all of you for giving me input-- and inspiration!  It seems that all I needed was a little extra push.

Up