Waldorf dolls - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-06-2011, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm considering purchasing a waldof-style doll for my daughter's 4th birthday. I have never owned one, and hoped I might be able to get some pointers before I invest.

I'm looking on etsy, and have found several people who make them. Besides price, is there a way to distinguish quality from lesser quality materials?  Is there a "better" way to attach hair or limbs?

Do kids prefer them over other dolls? obviously there will be varied answers to this question, but I'm hoping to hear others' experiences.  

Do they tend to be durable?  And as a child's toy, and likely to be dirty, can you wash them?

When I'm asking a crafter about her dolls, are there specific things I should ask about?

Thanks so much.

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2011, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I can't answer many of your questions but we bought a Waldorf doll from MaineArtisen on etsy and she does beautiful work.  Dd is more into "babies" than older-looking dolls, but if you are wanting an older doll, I highly recommend this lady on etsy.  She's very talented.

Allison:  a little bit Waldorf, a little bit Medievalish, and always"MOMMMMYYYY!" to sweet Cecily since 12.22.05
Old 09-07-2011, 07:15 PM

Besides price, is there a way to distinguish quality from lesser quality materials?  Is there a "better" way to attach hair or limbs?

Most people that sell them use basically the same materials. It should be stuffed with wool, with cotton interlock knit for the skin, the hair should also be wool yarn. I've seen some that have the limbs attached with buttons, so the doll is jointed, but mostly they are just rag doll style. I like hair that has been attached with a crochet cap, because then there aren't any bald spots. 

Do kids prefer them over other dolls? obviously there will be varied answers to this question, but I'm hoping to hear others' experiences.  

I have made 2 dolls for my son, and he loves them. I have also sold a few, and had good responses (I'm not selling any at the moment, so this isn't a plug). I think they are a lot nicer than dolls with hard heads, because they are more cuddly. Plus the hair is so nice and soft, and they are all natural materials. And I like that they don't have "made up'" faces. I prefer the ones with the simple mouth, rather than the smiling mouth. 

Do they tend to be durable?  And as a child's toy, and likely to be dirty, can you wash them? 

The one I made for my son has held up very well. And he is pretty rough with it. BUT they do get dirty, like any doll. Weir Dolls where I got the kit to make my first one says (if I remember correctly) to submerge the doll in cold water and gently scrub the skin with a toothbrush. I've had pretty good results with that when Jupee (his doll) started to look like a coal miner from being outside with my son.

When I'm asking a crafter about her dolls, are there specific things I should ask about?

You could ask to see a picture of the doll front and back without its clothes on. I think that would give you an idea of the craftsmanship of the doll. Check the reviews, check her return policy.

I have to put in a plug for making your own, it's much cheaper, and while it's work, it's worth it to have made it yourself. You can buy a kit from Weir Dolls, that's where I got mine.

my toy shop on etsy.com: wooden baby keys, natural bathtub toys, wooden animals, little kitchens, waldorf dolls...also check out my blog about saving money, creating things, and natural living
Old 09-07-2011, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Pajama View Post

I think this so much depends on the child.  My girls are in Waldorf kindy and I've made a number of Waldorf dolls (the ones they have in their classroom are from me) and dds have no interest in Waldorf dolls at all.  Right now they think they want and American Girl doll because they saw one at their friends' house, but they have told me that they do not want a doll like those I've made. 

Old 09-09-2011, 04:57 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I'd get your daughter input before you select one. My kids have shown little interest in "classic" Waldorf dolls with neutral expressions. But they love love the dolls with a bit more expresssion and personality from Kathy Kruse. All of the dolls are natural materials, handmade but they have a bit of spark to them. Our first was a gift and it was shockingly expensive. But she really does love it. We have a smaller one now as well as the dollhouse dolls.

It would probably be important to decide what you want it to be, a classic, traditional Waldorf doll or a handmade/natural fiber doll.

User Tag List