Mothering Forum banner

beginner needing some advice

523 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  karen12 
#1 ·
Hello,

I am just learning how to sew. I received a new Janome 7318 mechanical machine. It does not have a speed control and it seems to go sooooooo fast! Maybe I'll laugh at this post in a couple of weeks after some more practice but I'm wondering if there are any tricks to get it to go slower?! The pedal seems very "hot" as in it seems to go from 0 to 100 by barely pressing it down. Does anyone have any tricks or is this speed control just something that comes with experience? I'm wondering if there is a break-in time for the new pedal... Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I'm already hooked!

Thanks

#2 ·
You'll get the hang of it pretty quickly.
smile.gif
It is kind of like learning how to drive a car, and having to get used to the sensitivity of the pedals. Now if you really want to see fast - check out a professional machine. DH's aunt owns a drapery shop, and some of her machines scare the pee out of me!

#4 ·
When I first started out I thought the machine went SOOOO fast but I got use to it really quickly. Now the machine I have now goes probably 20 times faster than the one I learned on. It showed me what fast really is. I love love it for hems. It doesn't take much at all to do them.

#5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiMom View Post

When I first started out I thought the machine went SOOOO fast but I got use to it really quickly. Now the machine I have now goes probably 20 times faster than the one I learned on. It showed me what fast really is. I love love it for hems. It doesn't take much at all to do them.
I had the same experience. I thought my inexpensive Janome was fast, and then switched to a Husquarvarna embroidery/sewing machine. It's got to take awhile to get used to an industrial machine. I'm still a little terrified of a blind hemming machine.

(Skip to the 1:20 mark.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.