Homemade Gift for Crafty "Tween" on the Fly? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-24-2011, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just got a call from DD1's friend, she forgot to invite her to her birthday party, which is today, in 6 hours. help.gif I am trying to think of something really quickly that I can make for her, or put together rather inexpensively for her. I think she is turning 9 or 10, I know she started 6th grade this year.

In any case, she always loves my handmade things, so I would love to make her something, I don't think she would be "too cool" for it,  but my mind is drawing a big, panicky blank. I did get her into screen printing, but I know her Aunt got her a kit already.

She is always ready to learn new things, so if nothing else, I could run out and put together some sort of craft or activity kit, but our funds are rather limited, so I am not sure I could put something together that is very nice in the 10 buck department.

Anyone have any ideas for me? lol.gif

*I cannot crochet or knit

rainbow1284.gifJuise - stillheart.gif Vegan-organic greenthumb.gif food-growing mama to dust.gif Kaia Hanako - 8 Feb 08, babyf.gif Katalin Reiah - 13 July 10, flowerkitty.gif 4x Little Furry Kitty Friends, chicken3.gif 11x Chickens, goldfish.gif Assorted Aquatic Life, and Wife to malesling.GIF Lee. computergeek2.gif

http://thejuicery.blogspot.com/

#2 of 4 Old 09-24-2011, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

can you sew? a handmade apron and a box of cake mix would be nice. A cookie sheet and a nice notebook of recipes with some ingredients.

A friendship bracelet kit, some safety pins and embroidery silks. Then print out some instructions, there are plenty of tutorials online. http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Friendship-Bracelet is the first one I came across.

In the same vein a macrame kit, with the string a few beads and print out some instructions http://www.free-macrame-patterns.com/macrame-for-kids.html has some nice ones for kids.

#3 of 4 Old 09-24-2011, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I can sew, but I would need to go out and get material, and then would not really have the time to make it. eyesroll.gif Oh, what I would give for a few days warning! If I actually had now until 6 to gather materials and work on something, I could do it, but I have a 1 y/o and a 3 y/o to be taking care of as well, so the actual time I will have to work on anything is cut down quite a bit.

The friendship bracelet kit would be a great idea, if I didn't know she already has one. orngtongue.gif

I'm going to check out the macrame kit, though, for sure.  Despite the fact that I can't really knit, I did introduce her to knitting a couple years ago and she loves it, so I think this would be right up her alley. I don't have a printer, though. irked.gif I'm going to keep that in mind for future presents, though, because...

I've decided to make her a little terrarium like these! Then I am going to make a few little mushrooms or something like the ones I made here out of fimo, and then give her a few packets of Fimo or Sculpey as well so she can make more things of her own. All I will need to pick up is some activated charcoal (if I can figure out where the heck I get it!) and the clay. Woot!

rainbow1284.gifJuise - stillheart.gif Vegan-organic greenthumb.gif food-growing mama to dust.gif Kaia Hanako - 8 Feb 08, babyf.gif Katalin Reiah - 13 July 10, flowerkitty.gif 4x Little Furry Kitty Friends, chicken3.gif 11x Chickens, goldfish.gif Assorted Aquatic Life, and Wife to malesling.GIF Lee. computergeek2.gif

http://thejuicery.blogspot.com/

#4 of 4 Old 09-25-2011, 06:08 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

6 hours is pretty tight to get anything together, I'm glad  you thought of something.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page