crochet? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-03-2011, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i don't know how to crochet. my mom taught me how to do the first row.. but now i forgot. i can't even make it to the second row either. i tried some websites suggested here and YouTube, but i am an extremely slow (visual) learner. im not so good when it comes to reading instructions. im better at being shown how to do it. what do i do? ):

#2 of 8 Old 10-04-2011, 04:11 PM

I just learned how to crochet in the last month or so! I used a couple of books that had good detailed instructions and diagrams (Teach Yourself Visually: Crochet and Stitch n Bitch The Happy Hooker), but it sounds like that's not your preferred method. If the Youtube videos aren't helpful, then you can either find a local yarn shop that does lessons (you probably just need one: crochet is REALLY easy -- once you learn how to do a single crochet into your starting chain and how to turn, everything is else is just an elaboration on that basic technique), or buy a DVD, or get a friend who knows how to show you.

#3 of 8 Old 11-30-2011, 04:58 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Try the library for free dvds or "how to" books.  I love YouTube for helping me learn to crochet better.  This one is great and he has links to others who have crocheting tutorials.  http://www.youtube.com/user/mikeyssmail

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
#4 of 8 Old 01-06-2012, 06:22 PM

You Tube, seriously.  Great tutorials and you can go back and see it again as many times as you want.  I started with a basic granny square and went from there.  I then started checking out some basic stitch books from the library and taught myself to read a pattern.

But YouTube is a great resource!

Mama to the big girl 11/07 and the little dude 12/09.
Trying to find balance and understanding.
#5 of 8 Old 05-11-2012, 07:22 AM

I would suggest finding a yarn store near you, or looking for knitting/crochet groups (Knitting groups are often called "knitting groups" but have crocheters as well so don't hesitate to go).  They can probably show you what to do and guide you through it in person. :)

#6 of 8 Old 06-07-2012, 08:37 PM

Check for a crochet group on meetup.com or local churches may have a yarn crafts ministry.  

I'm not so good at learning from a book either, but I was able to figure it out by looking at the "Happy Hooker" and "Simple Crochet" books.  I'm addicted now.  Good luck!

#7 of 8 Old 06-07-2012, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Definitely give youtube another try.  I like bobwilson123.  Her videos are easy tofoloow and I love how her Aussie accent makes "cro-shay" come out as "cro-shuh". Heehee

Anyway, my grandmother taught me basic stitches when I was like 7yo but I never learned how to make anything useful.  About a year ago, I got the inspired idea to see if youtube had any good tutorials and sure enough, I am now an official crochet-er.

Check out what I made recently for a friend:

IMG_1475.JPG

Bring back the old MDC
#8 of 8 Old 03-01-2013, 04:53 PM

I know I'm really late to this thread - But I LOVE The Crochet Crowd.  Mikey does an amazing job teaching everything from the basic stitches to complete projects step by step with great camera work.  He's a sweetheart and is ADORABLE!

http://www.youtube.com/user/mikeyssmail?feature=watch

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page