play kitchen- found items - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-13-2011, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Let's make a list of "Found Items" we could use in our play kitchens!  They can be either recycled, thrift, or found....

- mini bread pans

- mini cereal boxes (stuffed with stuffing and tapes shut)

- spice jars

What else?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2011, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My kids love the flour sifter and the steel teapots (the kind you get in restaurants when you order tea sometimes.)

Wooden spoons are great with handles cut down.   So are mini pumpkins and gourds. (er - I mean that mini pumpkins and gourds are great, not that they have handles.)

Old 10-24-2011, 06:36 PM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

Mini tart and pie pans

Mini colander/strainer

Espresso cups/saucers 

Sample size jam/jelly/maple syrup jars (for slightly older kids, since they're glass)

Toaster oven baking pans

Shot glasses for cups (I've actually seen disposable plastic ones at the store)

Cookie spatula 

1 ounce ladle

Mini cookie cutters

Mini whisks

That's all I can think of right now. :-) 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

Old 10-24-2011, 06:54 PM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

Oh! 1 cup sized metal measuring cups could be saucepans! And ramekins could be bowls. 

I cannot wait until my kid is old enough to have a play kitchen! 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

Old 10-25-2011, 12:59 PM

I actually outfitted my sons' play kitchen all from stuff found at thrift stores. 

wooden salad bowl, small nested mixing bowls, a small decorative cast iron frying pan, a tea strainer for a strainer, small sugar spoons, cocktail forks, cheese knives (the small ones with wooden handles and smooth blades - not sharp). . .

Old 10-25-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by possum View Post

I actually outfitted my sons' play kitchen all from stuff found at thrift stores. 

wooden salad bowl, small nested mixing bowls, a small decorative cast iron frying pan, a tea strainer for a strainer, small sugar spoons, cocktail forks, cheese knives (the small ones with wooden handles and smooth blades - not sharp). . .

I love thrift stores, too. I will have to look for a frying pan like that.

Wooden salad bowls are awesome. I have found wooden plates and bowls in sets that go with wooden salad serving bowls that are the *perfect* size for the play kitchen for almoost nothing.

Old 10-25-2011, 01:56 PM

dd has been making great use of some thick yarns to make "pasta" and scrunching it up in her hands to make biscuits/bread. 

we have a colander in a small size, too.. and some rubber spatulas. 

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

Old 01-03-2012, 05:29 PM

DD is currently using coins for pancakes!  The kitchen doesn't need to be stocked with things that look too much like the real thing.  In fact it's better for their imaginations if toys are more vague.  (according to Waldorf philosophy at least).  I'm making her a collection of various sized disks cut from branches and logs for her birthday.  They can be plates, pancakes, pot lids, stove burners, orange slices - you name it!  Sticks with the ends sanded smooth can be silverware of all sorts, carrot sticks, etc.  Balls can be eggs, apples, or other fruit.  Endless possibilities!

Work at home, homesteading mom sharing child care 50/50 with my wonderful WAH DH. DD1 born Jan. 2010.   March '12.   DD2 & DD3 (twins) born Feb. 2013
Old 01-13-2012, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)

This isn't exactly found, I guess, but pizza crust/toppings are super easy to cut out of felt. Or you could use cardboard/construction paper. Use a pie pan for the pan and the sides will keep the pieces from falling off.

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (15) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

Old 03-08-2012, 11:21 AM

Some great ideas here!  DD (age 2) got a plastic kitchen that came with the plastic pots/pans/utensils/food.  I would have gotten wood but...oh well.  Anyway, she really doesn't like using the plastic accessories and started taking mine.  I got her a small metal colander and a bamboo morter and pestle (she loves it).  She also has her own little wood rolling pin, wooden spoons and a small metal pot.  As for the food, I made her a bunch of fuit and vegetables out of wool felt and wool stuffing.  She also helps me in the kitchen so I'm thinking of putting together a little basket of her own utensils for when she helps me bake (measuring cups/spoons, her wood rolling pin, some cookie cutters etc..)  Although we aren't going the Waldorf route, we really like some of the ideas and toys that are used.

SAHM to DD1 shy.gif, DD2 baby.gif, and one m/c angel.gif

Old 03-09-2012, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

My 7 1/2 month old is really starting to get into "helping" me in the kitchen.  I'm going to have to put some of these suggestions in a basket down low that she can get into.

I especially like the yarn idea. She love strings and cords but I hadn't thought about giving her short lengths to play with.

In our found items list:

- baskets

- net bags from veggies

- mini handled bags for shopping

- tiny cake pans (I found a bear at a thrift store)

User Tag List