DIY piddle pad for carseat? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 10-26-2011, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm very new to sewing, and I'd like to make a my own piddle pad/carseat protector for when we start potty training.  I found this pattern online.  It says to use felt or fleece because they're absorbant, but I didn't think a polyester based fabric could be absorbant.

Any tips on what materials would be good to use?  Could I put something waterproof, on the bottom layer (touching the carseat) that would also be able to put in the wash.  Would that make drying too difficult though?

Thanks!

#2 of 3 Old 10-27-2011, 07:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Anything you would use to make a diaper could be used. Hemp and Bamboo are suppose to be the most absorbent type of fabric.. Fleece helps to whisk the wetness away from the baby but I wouldn't really use it for absorbency. I had a diaper make of fleece and it leaked like the dickens.

As for the waterproof part, PUL would work (http://www.fabric.com/creativity-headquarters-diaper-central-pul-fabric.aspx) and you could wash it.. Well, I wash my diapers with PUL in them but some people don't. I can't line dry (against my lease) so drying is the only way for me.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#3 of 3 Old 11-01-2011, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

PUL is appropriate to use for the waterproof bottom.  It can be machine washed and dried - in fact, machine drying at least occasionally is advised for PUL in order to seal any tiny holes that may have appeared in the lamination due to use or accident such as diaper pins or what have you.

Another option would be water resistant regular or ripstop nylon.  These can also be machine washed and dried.

For the top layer you can use bamboo or cotton fleece, sherpa, hemp fleece, terrycloth (2-3 layers at least), or even an old towel or two cut to fit your needs.  Wool felt would work well also.  Another option would be flannel, though it would also take more than one layer; at least 2-3 layers would be more effective for your purpose.

You are correct - the synthetic fabrics I know of are not absorbent.  In fact, polyester fabric is non-absorbent and you can read that anywhere on the web.  There is one major exception - microfiber.  You can find it in the auto section of big box stores or in automotive stores.  They absorb well and are an inexpensive alternative to natural fabrics.  The problem with microfiber is you need to remember to keep it from touching delicate skin since it draws moisture so well.

Trisha

Trisha

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page