Inexpensive photo printing and photo mats? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 11-07-2011, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm not sure which section is best for this...

I'm in a digital art class and our final project is due next week. Ack! I thought it was due the next week. So now I'm scrambling. For the final project we have to print out a series of 10 pictures, 8x10, and have them matted. The teacher is no help on finding places to have this done. So far the best price I've found is $3 per picture for printing and about $3 per mat, not that I have any clue what to do with the mats once I get them. That's $60! Plus the store that has the mats (Hobby Lobby) isn't even sure if they'll have enough of the mats in stock by then (they didn't today... we can only use black of white). I suppose I could have them custom mat the pictures, but then that's even more expensive.

I really can't afford this so I'm looking for other options. So if anyone has any suggestions on where to get 8x10's printed and inexpensive mats, I'd LOVE to hear it. :)

#2 of 9 Old 11-07-2011, 08:39 PM

I've seen mats at the dollar store, both Dollar Tree and 99 Cents Only.  

For prints Costco or Target are my favorites.  Do you know anyone with a photo printer you can hit up?  Does your school computer lab have a photo printer?  Google for coupon codes for printing at Target.

SAHM to twin kindergarteners

#3 of 9 Old 11-07-2011, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Our Target doesn't have a photo lab unfortunately, and we don't have Costco's here. :( I will have to check the dollar store. I don't recall seeing any there, but then again, I wasn't looking before. I don't have any local friends so no printers to borrow. Plus the teacher was very clear that they need to be professionally printed. Said the color space profiles might not be sufficient on home printers. Our school mac lab does have a photo printer but we're not allowed to use it for our final project.

#4 of 9 Old 11-08-2011, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Well drat. I checked the dollar store today and they do have photo mats, but they are way too small. They are 8x10 but the photo opening is only 5x7. :(

#5 of 9 Old 11-09-2011, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I'd call places before I drove all over town.

Michaels and Joann's both have a DIY photo section and both should be starting to run 'holiday' sales.

I do digital prints at places like CVS, walgreens, walmart etc.  They all have instant print prices and 'later' prices.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#6 of 9 Old 11-09-2011, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

I think I've found a place to get the prints done at a reasonable price. We don't have a Michael's but I will check JoAnn's. I didn't think they had a photo section. This is all due on Tuesday so I don't have a lot of time to place orders unfortunately. 

#7 of 9 Old 11-10-2011, 11:09 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

How is it going?

I *really* want to learn photography or computer art... I've been toying with the idea of taking a class at the local CC.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#8 of 9 Old 11-11-2011, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

I still haven't had any luck finding mats. I've checked everywhere I can think of in town. And now I'm sick. :( We were going to drive to the nearest city on Sunday but unless something changes drastically and I feel a LOT better that's not going to happen. So... not sure what I'm going to do about mats.

#9 of 9 Old 11-12-2011, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Worse case scenario, see if you can find heavy weight drawing paper about 12X14 (or whatever final size was specified - that size would allow a 2 1/8 inch border) and cut out a rectangle with straight edge (ruler or something) and a fresh exacto knife blade.  Make the cut-out a little smaller than 8X10, small enough that it covers the edge of the photo, maybe 7 3/4 by 9 3/4 so the paper mat covers an 1/8 of an inch all around.  Usually matting includes a piece of backing mat board that goes behind the photo.  You can use actual mat board that isn't the right shade (but find something like gray that won't attract attention because the edges will show slightly).  Or maybe white posterboard.  Typically, framers place the top mat and bottom mat side by side so they open like a book and run a piece of tape down one side as a hinge.  Or you can make the hinge along the top.  The tape will be on the back of the top mat and the front of the backing.  When you close the two (like a book) the tape will be on the inside.  You can lay the photo face down over the back side of the opening and tape the top two corners of the photo to the mat board.  That way there is no tape on the front of the photo and the bottom hangs free so it is less likely to wrinkle over time with humidity.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page