Handmade Snack Bags - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-15-2011, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello Everyone!

I am in search of polyurethane coated nylon to use to make snack bags with and would like to know if anyone has a reputable source.  I have found several places online, but they are all overseas.  Also, what are your opinions (preferably research based) on which materials to use?  I have read from several sources that PUL and oil cloth are no no's as they are not food safe and that beeswax cloth and the coated nylon are the best.  Anyone find any different research?

Thank you!

Mindy

#2 of 6 Old 11-15-2011, 09:29 AM

Don't know the answer to your post, but wanted to mention a cool project I just did for snack bags. I used Honest Tea kids pouches sewn together.

Here's a blog thing explaining one thing you can do with them

http://www.instructables.com/id/Recycled-Juice-Pouch-Lunch-Bag/

Don't know if that helps you, but I figured it along the same lines as what your making.

biggrinbounce.gifDS 10/09  sleepytime.gifDS 2/17/11 stork-suprise.gif Blessing #3 sometime 2/13

#3 of 6 Old 11-18-2011, 05:18 PM

I have heard if you put some other food-safe material on the inside (closest to the food) it keeps the PUL chemicals from getting on your food.  I have made several snack bags this way, and it seems to work pretty well.  I use organic cotton/bamboo on the inside, PUL in the middle, and cute printed cotton/bamboo on the outside.  I would not recommend this for "wet" foods such as fruit slices (due to the mold potential), but I usually put any snacks with juice in a reusable container anyway to minimize mess.  

#4 of 6 Old 12-14-2011, 12:41 PM

what does anyone know about using the nylon? My MIL bought each of my girls a snack bag with that in it and suggested I make some, but i don't know where to get the nylon or what type.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#5 of 6 Old 12-28-2011, 08:01 PM

I've made some snack bags using fusible vinyl -- although I'm not really sure where that ranks on the "food safe" scale. But the bags are wipeable and washable (but not dryer safe).  They've worked well so far.

~RMM

#6 of 6 Old 02-01-2012, 02:25 PM

I came looking for the same answers as all of you ladies!  From the research that I've been doing, rip stop nylon is safe for dry foods.  However, the shiny coated side of the nylon has to be AWAY from the food.  I am hoping for some suggestions on where to buy the ripstop nylon in small quantities.

Here's a bit of info on snack bags.

Oh, and I tried/am in the process of trying the beeswax fabric idea.  Holy, it's a lot of work to get the beeswax evenly distributed over the fabric and not have too much or too little.  Plus, then the fabric just looks and feels greasy (but smells wonderful) and I don't think it's really "sealed" either, so you wouldn't be able to use it with anything wet or anything that can get stale (which makes me sad, because I was actually trying to make a nice bread bag for my homemade bread.  Anyway, I've just done the beeswax part so far, and haven't sewn the bag (which I think will have 2 layers, the inner beeswax "sealed" layer and an outer layer to make it look pretty).  I'll update with how it turns out/works. 

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page