Handmade Holidays 2012 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-19-2012, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaorganic View Post

i have been lurking on this thread for a good month or so....

Rere- they weren't white- but Target by the Keurig stuff has nice solid colored mugs- both big and small expresso ones- they were $1.99.  I am toying with picking those up and porcelain markers...

I am undecided on my kids- part of me wants to make quilts for them but DH wants to get them bikes...  Won't do both probably.  

I really want to do stenciled initial/doily tote bags for my sisters and SIL and mom and mil.  I think that would be a great gift- I should start watching the sales for canvas tote bags.  

I also want to do stuffed monsters a la pinterest for my kids and their cousins.

For the girl cousins I intend to make some fancy little headbands.

For the boy cousins....  No idea for a little something.  

For the main gifts for my parents and MIL and SIL- homegrown chicken.  Kind of cheating for this thread though huh?

I love looking at everyones ideas smile.gif

Thanks,for the tip.Now that I think about it colored ones would work nicely too.Plus we are planning a trip to Target tomorrow.

Nice list.And chicken totally counts!at least in my opinion.

An idea for the boys...last year we found these mini composition notebooks at the dollar store and decorated the covers with scrapbook papers.Anyway,just an idea.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rere View Post
An idea for the boys...last year we found these mini composition notebooks at the dollar store and decorated the covers with scrapbook papers.Anyway,just an idea.

Do you have a picture in your album of those?  I'm thinking my kids would love having composition books in our "travel bag of tricks" to stay busy while out and about.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
Old 10-10-2012, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

bump.gif

I need to get pictures up, but thought I would at least share that I made DS 2 little cloth mice with blankets for the holidays. Hurray! I actually got around to making something!

tea6.gifcancer-beating wife to caffix.gif DH since 7/4/09, mother to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 5/1/11 + energy.gifDD 8/21/2013

angel1.gif (4/09) angel1.gif (5/12)

Old 10-29-2012, 11:15 PM

Woah, where is everybody? It's nearly November! And I thought I was late. ROTFLMAO.gif

This year, I have a handful of things I planned to make last year that I didn't end up making because I made something else. I really got into woodworking, so all the sewing ideas I had got chucked in a bin, never to be seen again. Until now. orngtongue.gif

I'm going to start my list, but all those big, scary blank spaces after names gives me the heebie jeebies, so I am just going to list the ones I have ideas for, and add to it as I come up with things. I have some links and pictures to share.

Come on, guys, I need more links to ideas!
orngbiggrin.gif

First of all, I just made a princess set for my niece for her birthday, and I am really happy with how it came out, and both my daughters were terribly envious, so I am going to make a set for each of them.

I got inspiration for the skirt from here, and found the crown and wand here. I decided they would look a bit more finished if the layers were top stitched, and I also wrapped the stick. If anyone is interested in exactly how any of the changes to the skirt or crown and wand were done let me know and I can share. innocent.gif

I made these for DD2 for her 2nd birthday, and I think my youngest niece would enjoy a set:

I used the "jumbo" peg dolls and candle cups from Hobby Lobby, so I think they are pretty safe for little people. DD2 did tear some of their "hats" off at one point, but she wasn't very happy about them not going back on, and hasn't taken them back off since I glued them back in place, I put them on with a little hot glue.

Okay, I'm getting too tired to think now, it's late. orngtongue.gif So I will try to do my list tomorrow, or something. Soon, anyway.

rainbow1284.gifJuise - stillheart.gif Vegan-organic greenthumb.gif food-growing mama to dust.gif Kaia Hanako - 8 Feb 08, babyf.gif Katalin Reiah - 13 July 10, flowerkitty.gif 4x Little Furry Kitty Friends, chicken3.gif 11x Chickens, goldfish.gif Assorted Aquatic Life, and Wife to malesling.GIF Lee. computergeek2.gif

http://thejuicery.blogspot.com/

Old 10-30-2012, 09:20 AM

I love the little doll sets orngbiggrin.gif I might have to keep those in mind for the baby next year..

I haven't gotten ANYTHING done. I need to get a move on it.

I got to do DD2's birthday presents soon.. So, this week/weekend I need to finish

1 dress, 1 skirt, a stuffed turtle, hairbows, and a purse to match either the skirt or the dress.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
Old 10-30-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juise View Post

Woah, where is everybody? It's nearly November! And I thought I was late. ROTFLMAO.gif

This year, I have a handful of things I planned to make last year that I didn't end up making because I made something else. I really got into woodworking, so all the sewing ideas I had got chucked in a bin, never to be seen again. Until now. orngtongue.gif

I'm going to start my list, but all those big, scary blank spaces after names gives me the heebie jeebies, so I am just going to list the ones I have ideas for, and add to it as I come up with things. I have some links and pictures to share.

Come on, guys, I need more links to ideas!
orngbiggrin.gif

First of all, I just made a princess set for my niece for her birthday, and I am really happy with how it came out, and both my daughters were terribly envious, so I am going to make a set for each of them.

I got inspiration for the skirt from here, and found the crown and wand here. I decided they would look a bit more finished if the layers were top stitched, and I also wrapped the stick. If anyone is interested in exactly how any of the changes to the skirt or crown and wand were done let me know and I can share. innocent.gif

I made these for DD2 for her 2nd birthday, and I think my youngest niece would enjoy a set:

I used the "jumbo" peg dolls and candle cups from Hobby Lobby, so I think they are pretty safe for little people. DD2 did tear some of their "hats" off at one point, but she wasn't very happy about them not going back on, and hasn't taken them back off since I glued them back in place, I put them on with a little hot glue.

Okay, I'm getting too tired to think now, it's late. orngtongue.gif So I will try to do my list tomorrow, or something. Soon, anyway.

Really Nice!

I thought maybe I chased everyone away.Ha!

Actually I really need to get busy!!!!

Anyway here are two recent projects.A foam shield and a baby blanket.

Oh and a smallish bag.(I don't think I shared this one yet.)The pocket holds a matching tissue holder but for some reason I didn't take a pic of that.

My next project will be a magnetic advent calendar for my sister's family.

Also I am working on an apron for my BIL(really I am just ironing letters onto a pre-made one) and if I could get some time without my daughter I would start the doll clothes that I plan on making her.My husband is home from touring for the next little while so that might actually get to happen!

Old 10-30-2012, 10:12 AM

rere- you didn't chase me away :) Morning sickness sucked this pregnancy and then mini person 4 has been keeping me pretty busy. She nurses at least 8 hours each day (and Im not kidding, shes already gained several inches and pounds within the 3 weeks shes been alive!) so between that and homeschooling and the other three Im pretty busy!

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
Old 10-30-2012, 11:48 AM

Wow, rere! I really like those. Did you follow something online for the shield, or do you mind sharing a bit about how you made it? That blanket is super cute, too. I never know how to match different materials like that.

That reminds me, I made this baby bundle set for a baby shower a couple weeks ago. I forgot to take a picture of mine somehow, eyesroll.gif but I think it makes a really cute gift for someone expecting, or with a wee baby. I tied it up with ribbon and a wooden teether I made, and, if I do say so myself, it made an adorable little package. orngtongue.gif

rainbow1284.gifJuise - stillheart.gif Vegan-organic greenthumb.gif food-growing mama to dust.gif Kaia Hanako - 8 Feb 08, babyf.gif Katalin Reiah - 13 July 10, flowerkitty.gif 4x Little Furry Kitty Friends, chicken3.gif 11x Chickens, goldfish.gif Assorted Aquatic Life, and Wife to malesling.GIF Lee. computergeek2.gif

Old 10-30-2012, 06:30 PM

Quote:

Wow, rere! I really like those. Did you follow something online for the shield, or do you mind sharing a bit about how you made it? That blanket is super cute, too. I never know how to match different materials like that.

That reminds me, I made this baby bundle set for a baby shower a couple weeks ago. I forgot to take a picture of mine somehow, eyesroll.gif but I think it makes a really cute gift for someone expecting, or with a wee baby. I tied it up with ribbon and a wooden teether I made, and, if I do say so myself, it made an adorable little package. orngtongue.gif

Thanks!

The sheild I just made up.I bought a piece of thin foam from the fabric store and then cut it into a circle.I traced the foam onto fabric and cut out two pieces a little larger than the foam.Sewed the star pattern on one piece and arm straps on the other.Then sewed the circles together with right sides facing leaving a space for turning right side out and also for shoving the foam inside.Then I just hand sewed the space up.

Sweet bundle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiMom View Post

rere- you didn't chase me away smile.gif Morning sickness sucked this pregnancy and then mini person 4 has been keeping me pretty busy. She nurses at least 8 hours each day (and Im not kidding, shes already gained several inches and pounds within the 3 weeks shes been alive!) so between that and homeschooling and the other three Im pretty busy!
Phew!!You are busy!

Glad I didn't chase you away!

Old 10-30-2012, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

It's happening to me again this year. Last Minute Crafting Syndrome. Every. Single. Year. 

Oh well, I've scaled back my intentions to fit reality this year. We've picked up some second-hand toys and Golden Books for the bulk of Little Man's gifts this year - a gently-used Little People farm set and Little People mining set. He loves his Little People stuff, so he'll be thrilled. And we picked up about a dozen Golden Books over the summer and have them squirreled away. 

Gift crafting for him is simple this year. I'm going to sew him a fleece dinosaur hat in dark gray with lime green points to match his winter jacket. And we're slowly transitioning his room from his nursery decor to a "big boy" theme centered around the movie Cars (which we all love) so I'm going to make a decoupage letter A to hang on his bedroom wall or door. I'm just going to get one of those chipboard letters from the craft store, and cover it with Cars-themed scrapbook paper (if I can find some). 

I don't know that I'm going to do a whole lot beyond that this year... but maybe. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

Old 10-31-2012, 03:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I'm ahead of the game for gift-buying, but not so much for gift-making. Tonight I started on DD's Waldorf doll wardrobe, though! I made a tiered twirly skirt - much more manageable in doll-size, I must say! Then a very simple shirred tube-type top. Then a shirred tube-type dress in stripy fabric, with a little rosette at the waist to fancy it up a bit. I'm currently trying to make a pleated skirt, but the baby woke up.

Not sure how many clothes I'll make altogether. The doll and all the clothes will fill up her stocking this year, and the doll came with a dress and pantalettes, so...? I'll do a pair of trousers and maybe some leggings; a few "proper" tops with sleeves; a cape made of some nice grey fabric I have.... maybe a Red Riding Hood cape, too, out of a red felted sweater. I'm tempted to knit something, simply because it'd be quick! And I'd like to do a denim pinafore or overalls, and a wee Cinderella dress to match the Cinderella dress I'm giving DD. Oh, and an over-the-shoulder bag. And maybe a sunhat. Whew... lucky it's all pretty quick to sew.

The good news is, I don't have tooooo much everyday sewing to do for awhile, so I can get started on the Christmas stuff. I had to play catchup with DS' clothes, which threw me off a bit. But he's clad now, at least until his next growth spurt, so... onwards!

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:03 PM

I finished up a star garland yesterday.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

That star garland is cute! That would be great in a kid's room... hm, I could do one in red/white fabric with red tinsel pom poms....

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

Old 10-31-2012, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

I don't think I'll get much done this year, spending so long with everything for crafting packed up, we finally move into our new house Dec 1. I will finish knitting 2 blankets and maybe a few small odds and ends. I'll make a batch of soap and a couple kinds of jelly.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

That star garland is cute! That would be great in a kid's room... hm, I could do one in red/white fabric with red tinsel pom poms....

Thanks!

Tinsel poms sound cute!

I just made two doll shirts for my daughter.But I need to try them on a doll before I make any more.I'm trying to figure out how to. Distract her long enough to do it now because I am too impatient to wait until she goes to sleep.Maybe I can sneak into the bathroom with a doll.Ha!

Old 11-03-2012, 02:01 PM

I made this wreath for my mom inspired by one I saw on pinterest.I painted wood beads instead of using the jingle bells that were in the pic I saw.

How is everybody doing?

Oh,also here are the tuts I used for baby doll clothes if anyone is in need.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:29 AM

I made some ornaments for my sister.A bird,Santa,and a wreath.

I would like to get a travel bag like the one on this page, made today but my allergies are trying to stop me.We'll see who wins.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:40 PM

Rere, I never know how you do it, I really don't. I think I would only be able to keep up with you if I didn't feed my kids and lets the house turn into a massive disaster area, haha.

I have my little brother, two nieces, and a nephew's birthdays this month, so I am going to concentrate on those first. Couldn't people just stop having birthdays and babies so I could get some x-mas stuff done? lol.gif

I am making an owl towel similar to this one for my niece, which I can't remember if someone already posted it here or I saw it somewhere else, so I will just put the link up to be safe. ;)

A balance board for my nephew.

And a craft kit for my older niece, who is turning 14. Just getting a bunch of little things together that she can use her imagination with.

No ideas for my little brother yet though. He will be turning 26. He likes gaming, is rather nerdy, and is attending art school, so if anyone has any ideas for me.... wink1.gif

I keep trying to think of things I really appreciated or would have like to have had when I was in art school, but they are all expensive and not homemade, haha. Like a good, strong, big portfolio with a comfortable strap, or organizational art bins, or just plain supplies. The only thing I can really think of that I made and used is my brush roll, and I don't think he's taking any painting courses.
eyesroll.gif

Old 11-05-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:

Rere, I never know how you do it, I really don't. I think I would only be able to keep up with you if I didn't feed my kids and lets the house turn into a massive disaster area, haha.

I have my little brother, two nieces, and a nephew's birthdays this month, so I am going to concentrate on those first. Couldn't people just stop having birthdays and babies so I could get some x-mas stuff done? lol.gif

I am making an owl towel similar to this one for my niece, which I can't remember if someone already posted it here or I saw it somewhere else, so I will just put the link up to be safe. wink1.gif

A balance board for my nephew.

And a craft kit for my older niece, who is turning 14. Just getting a bunch of little things together that she can use her imagination with.

No ideas for my little brother yet though. He will be turning 26. He likes gaming, is rather nerdy, and is attending art school, so if anyone has any ideas for me.... wink1.gif

I keep trying to think of things I really appreciated or would have like to have had when I was in art school, but they are all expensive and not homemade, haha. Like a good, strong, big portfolio with a comfortable strap, or organizational art bins, or just plain supplies. The only thing I can really think of that I made and used is my brush roll, and I don't think he's taking any painting courses. eyesroll.gif
Ha!Well...my house is a disaster and I don't feed my kid.Ha!Ok,well maybe not a disaster but making things is definitely more important than washing the kitchen floor as often as I should.And when my husband is not on tour he makes dinner.

But really the main thing is that I have a space for making things.Now,it's not a nice space.It's a mostly unfinished attic but I can make a mess and leave it and come back to it when I get a chance.Plus I made space up there for my daughter.

And I totally think the same thing when I am making birthday/baby presents.Ha!

That owl towel is really cute.I made some hooded towels in the past and they were big hits.

Hmmmm...I was like you when I was in art school.Supplies were mainly what I wanted.What about if you decorated the cover of a sketch book for him?Or maybe a man bag for carrying his sketch books and supplies in?Maybe with one of his video game characters on it?

Old 11-07-2012, 05:21 AM

This year I'm REALLY slacking on the homemade gifts redface.gif

FIL is getting knitted socks...like every year and a coffee mug decorated by ds

MIL is getting a photo album full of pics from the past year

GMA photo album full of pics from the past year

Kids are doing ornaments for family.

This December I'm going to start watching 2 more kids on top of my 3 so I'll be focusing on doing kid friendly crafts with them

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
Old 11-08-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caiesmommy View Post

This year I'm REALLY slacking on the homemade gifts redface.gif

FIL is getting knitted socks...like every year and a coffee mug decorated by ds
MIL is getting a photo album full of pics from the past year
GMA photo album full of pics from the past year

Kids are doing ornaments for family.

This December I'm going to start watching 2 more kids on top of my 3 so I'll be focusing on doing kid friendly crafts with them

You're going to have a houseful!Should be fun!

Yesterday I had a craft fail!I was working on an apron for my BIL with iron on letters and I ironed on some of the letters backwards.:eyesrollI haven't given up hope that I can salvage it though.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:41 AM

Got two knitted gift card holders done yesterday. One is for DH's aunt and the other DH's uncle (not married to each other orngtongue.gif)

Today Im finishing up some scarves for the children. PomPom scarves, so simple and quick to do!

Old 11-09-2012, 08:02 AM

I'm feeling particularly unmotivated today so I am going to make myself a to do list.

-pick out or take a pic of my daughter for my MIL
-buy some supplies
-start on the car traveler for my nephew
-pick out a photo to use for my stepfather's present
-THINK really hard about what to make my husband(this could take all day)

Old 11-09-2012, 10:39 AM

I have a huge list.

DD: Dolly clothes
      Dolly Diapers & wipes
      Dolly diaper bag
      Superhero cape
      Felt dress up dolls
      Wooden Doll cradle

ODS
      toy horseshoe set w/ Felt beanbag horseshoes
     Pillow Shield
      Wallet
      Bandolier Dart Holder
      Toy tool belt
      Wooden shaving razor
      Wooden sword

YDS
     Pillow Shield
      Wallet
      Bandolier Dart Holder
      Toy tool belt
      Wooden shaving razor
      Wooden sword
I need to think of one more thing for yds to even it out.

DH: Quillow
       Leather Wallet

:) Any recommendations for a 3 yr old boy?

Red is finished

Kim: Wife To Colby. Mommy To DS1 Christopher and DS2 Bradly. :
Old 11-09-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rere View Post

I'm feeling particularly unmotivated today so I am going to make myself a to do list.
-pick out or take a pic of my daughter for my MIL
-buy some supplies
-start on the car traveler for my nephew
-pick out a photo to use for my stepfather's present
-THINK really hard about what to make my husband(this could take all day)

It's not looking good for my list.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:56 AM

Kim- Im making my son (hes a bit younger than yours, 21 months) a rag doll for Christmas.. Hes also getting a spaceship/alien play set and a fishing game (the fish have little magnets then there is a pole with a magnet to go "fishing" with).. I did a car mat last year and even my older two love playing with it. Im actually making a bigger one for his birthday since the children have problems all playing together with the small one I made.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:18 PM

Thanks for the ideas! I made the fishing pole & fish  last year for them. Of course I think they have broke the poles since then so I need to make another one. I think I settled on a pirate hook,hat,and eyepatch for him. He LOVES pirates and robots and this was the easier of the two lol.  I want to make a carmat as well but it did not make the cut this year since I am already behind. I think I will save that for a birthday gift.

Kim: Wife To Colby. Mommy To DS1 Christopher and DS2 Bradly. :
Old 11-10-2012, 07:40 PM

I finished the car traveler for my nephew,two more bird ornaments for my sister,and I had a pic of my daughter printed that I will frame for my MIL!

Moving along!

I would like to finish up the doll clothes for my daughter but she has been stuck to me like glue lately.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiMom View Post

Got two knitted gift card holders done yesterday. One is for DH's aunt and the other DH's uncle (not married to each other orngtongue.gif)
Today Im finishing up some scarves for the children. PomPom scarves, so simple and quick to do!

Nice!

I wish I knew how to knit.

Old 11-11-2012, 12:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
I wish I knew how to knit.

Me too. Well, I wish I knew how to knit well. I can knit, slowly and painfully, with odd bunches and mysterious gained stitches and twisty bits and wobbly edges. Knitting beautiful smooth fabric, though... that's an art.

I haven't done any holiday crafting for weeks. Oh, no, that's not true - DD and I made some potato-print wrapping paper and wrapped a few gifts. And DD did a cool Christmas card by sewing silver thread through holes in a dark-blue card to make a random pattern; that was fun.

But "proper" crafting, no. Ehh, I've had other projects. And I'm about to start a part-time gig scrutineering the end-of-year exams. If only they'd let me sew buttonholes while I did it! But no... the guidelines specifically say "no knitting", in fact, presumably because scrutineers tend to be of the stereotypical knitting demographic. :p

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Tags
Arts And Crafts
User Tag List