Handmade Holidays 2012 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-27-2012, 09:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rere View Post

I drew on the mugs.My daughter thinks they are too plain.What do you think?

Do they need more?

Nice! I like them as they are:-)

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone_kneegrabber View Post

We do New Years with my mom and her wife so I have time for those. But they are moving and getting rid if tons of stuff so I feel like anything I give them they will end up getting rid of! And my mom knits beautifully so I can't knit her or her wife anything!
My MIL used to own a sewing store and even though she doesn't make time to see anymore I feel like I can't see things for her or anyone in the family because it will be judged to a higher standard than I am capable of.
Sigh.
Last year I did knitted cowls for MIL and SIL. The year before hats for all of the them. I made Chapstick/lip balm one year and I think they still have some left.
Ok, sorry mostly just whining.

Do you crochet? I'm making a bunch of flower pins similar to the ones below. I'm sewing a button in the middle and a pin fastener on the back. But you could turn them into hair things, instead, if you're giving them to people with long enough hair. They are nice because they are small, fast to make, and can be pinned onto a coat, sweater, purse, hat, or scarf.

http://www.crochetspot.com/crochet-pattern-simple-six-petal-flower/

http://bonitapatterns.tumblr.com/post/3994231401/here-goes-a-free-pattern-for-a-croco-flower-its

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
Old 11-27-2012, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I finished a gratitude journal for my sister and a market bag for my stepfather.The pic on the pocket is one that he took.

I decided to leave the mugs as they are.I think simple is best for the people they are going to.So now all I have to do is put them in the oven but I'm waiting until I finish another set of mugs.

I'm working on a journal for my mom but I brought all my collage materials to our homeschool co-op,so that will have to wait a few more days.

Hoping to start on a bag for my brother today but we'll see.I think my daughter is going to need my attention a lot today.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evermom View Post

Nice! I like them as they are:-)

Thanks!I'm going to leave them.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:

Help me! I have no idea what to do for folks. I feel like I have given them everything I know how to make in previous years! I don't have that many people to give stuff too at least!
MIL
FIL
BIL
SIL
My mom
Mom's wife
We do New Years with my mom and her wife so I have time for those. But they are moving and getting rid if tons of stuff so I feel like anything I give them they will end up getting rid of! And my mom knits beautifully so I can't knit her or her wife anything!
My MIL used to own a sewing store and even though she doesn't make time to see anymore I feel like I can't see things for her or anyone in the family because it will be judged to a higher standard than I am capable of.
Sigh.
Last year I did knitted cowls for MIL and SIL. The year before hats for all of the them. I made Chapstick/lip balm one year and I think they still have some left.
Ok, sorry mostly just whining.

I totally hear you and my big whine is coming up.

I think you have to not worry if your skills are as good.You are who you are and you are doing your best and taking time to make something.I know,easier said than done and I always worry about the stuff I make not being good enough but I just try to push those thoughts away and keep going.

Anyway do you look on pinterest?Maybe you could find some inspiration there?

What about food for your mom and stepmom?

Old 11-27-2012, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Right! I'm way behind. But we just had our holiday, and I've finished doing some shift work, and I don't have any articles due until after Christmas... in short, I have no excuse for not crafting!

The first priority is the sailor suits/dress for the kids' Christmas photos. So far I've made about a quarter of one shirt. Super...

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:

Anyway do you look on pinterest?Maybe you could find some inspiration there?

All I do is pin stuff!  If I could get credit for research I would have plenty!!!!  I just need to figure out if any of them will actually work!

Old 11-30-2012, 06:51 AM

Ok,it's almost December and I still have NO idea what to make my husband.Uhg!Every year I struggle with this one and every year it gets harder.

I feel so ridiculous being unable to come up with an idea for my husband.I mean he's my husband.

Problem is,I have been giving him presents for more than 20 years.I feel like I have already made him everything I am capable of.

Plus he doesn't like spots,wear ties,drink beer,BBQ,or eat jerky.Ha!It seems everywhere I look for ideas for men,they are about one of those things.

He plays bass,he travels a lot to play bass and enjoys cooking when he is home.And he is the most particular human on the planet.

Ok,there is my whine.

Of coarse any and all suggestions are welcome!!!

How is everyone doing?

Old 11-30-2012, 06:52 AM

Quote:

All I do is pin stuff!  If I could get credit for research I would have plenty!!!!  I just need to figure out if any of them will actually work!
Ha!

Old 11-30-2012, 10:49 AM

I am making my dh a pillowcase :-). Since he travels would be use something like that to remind him of home?
Old 11-30-2012, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Quote:

Ok,it's almost December and I still have NO idea what to make my husband.Uhg!Every year I struggle with this one and every year it gets harder.
I feel so ridiculous being unable to come up with an idea for my husband.I mean he's my husband.
Problem is,I have been giving him presents for more than 20 years.I feel like I have already made him everything I am capable of.
Plus he doesn't like spots,wear ties,drink beer,BBQ,or eat jerky.Ha!It seems everywhere I look for ideas for men,they are about one of those things.
He plays bass,he travels a lot to play bass and enjoys cooking when he is home.And he is the most particular human on the planet.
Ok,there is my whine.
Of coarse any and all suggestions are welcome!!!
How is everyone doing?

I struggle with what to do/make for my husband every year. Didn't you do a pick case or something like that for him last year? What about a guitar strap? If he doesn't drink beer, does he drink wine or whiskey or anything? Any "beer" gift you could pretty much translate to any other beverage. Or what about a screenprinted (or iron on transfer) tshirt? You could make your own design and then print the image on transfer paper and iron it on. Does he drive? What about accessories for the car? Like a cd sleeve for the visor, or a seat back caddy thing?

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

Old 12-01-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

I struggle with what to do/make for my husband every year. Didn't you do a pick case or something like that for him last year? What about a guitar strap? If he doesn't drink beer, does he drink wine or whiskey or anything? Any "beer" gift you could pretty much translate to any other beverage. Or what about a screenprinted (or iron on transfer) tshirt? You could make your own design and then print the image on transfer paper and iron it on. Does he drive? What about accessories for the car? Like a cd sleeve for the visor, or a seat back caddy thing?
Well,I'm glad it's not just me but sorry that you struggle with the same problem.

I would totally consider the iron on t-shirt because he had one on the other day that I made him years ago with a pic of the two of us smooching and it's so faded that you can't even tell what it is anymore,but last year I made him a bunch of t-shirts.

I have sort of misrepresented him saying he doesn't drink beer.He actually does and he LOVES bourbon he just doesn't usually drink at home.His job as musician has him around alcohol ALL the time so when he is home he just doesn't usually drink it.

He doesn't use a pic when he plays bass guitar(oh,how I wish he did so I could craft some things having to do with pics.ha!)but I did make him a bag for his bow for when he is playing double bass.

I keep considering the bass strap but I think that is something that he uses so often that he is pretty particular about it.He does have a friend who would be able to tell me exactly which kind he likes though.So hmmm?It would have to be kinda low profile though as he likes to keep things kinda "professional".

Hmmm?The car thing is something to think about.

Thanks for the ideas!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 34me View Post

I am making my dh a pillowcase :-). Since he travels would be use something like that to remind him of home?
Nice!What are you going to put on it?

I made him one for,I think,Valentines Day last year.But thank you for the suggestion!

Old 12-03-2012, 12:03 PM

My dh has been collecting Spiderman comics for 25+ years so Spiderman pillowcase it is!

Old 12-03-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:

My dh has been collecting Spiderman comics for 25+ years so Spiderman pillowcase it is!

Awesome!

Old 12-03-2012, 06:40 PM

I finished 16 felt birds,doll clothes for my daughter,and almost done with my mom's journal calendar!

Gotta keep moving along!!

Old 12-04-2012, 06:44 AM

rere- nice mugs! For the pillowcase, when my husband was deployed I made him one and put everyone's handprint on it.. Hes suppose to be deploying again next year and Im going to make him a new one only this time Im getting the transfer photo paper and putting a photo of the family on it them doing the handprints around it.

For hard to make for people, how about something edible like preserves? Or something else that can be used up like bath salts. Both are easy to make and usually go over really well.

I need to get moving on gifts. I need to finish them so I can work on the baby's blessing gown. She is being blessed on the Sunday after Christmas so I need to finish the gown. Its knitted though and a pattern i have to concentrate on so I want to finish everything else before starting that.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
Old 12-04-2012, 09:26 AM

Ok My wish list of to dos for today:

finish the children's dolls and make clothing for them

finish the boy's spaceship and aliens

finish the penguin, horse and cat for the stockings

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
Old 12-04-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Allen View Post

I have a huge list.

DD: Dolly clothes
      Dolly Diapers & wipes
      Dolly diaper bag
      Superhero cape
      Felt dress up dolls
      Wooden Doll cradle

ODS
      toy horseshoe set w/ Felt beanbag horseshoes
     Pillow Shield
      Wallet
      Bandolier Dart Holder
      Toy tool belt
      Wooden shaving razor
      Wooden sword

YDS
     Pillow Shield
      Wallet
      Bandolier Dart Holder
      Toy tool belt
      Wooden shaving razor
      Wooden sword
I need to think of one more thing for yds to even it out.

DH: Quillow
       Leather Wallet

:) Any recommendations for a 3 yr old boy?

Red is finished

Um ok so I am not going to be getting most of this finished. Dh and I both bought ourselves gifts on black friday. He bought himself a gun cabinet and a gun and he brought home a brand new singer sew mate for me!!!! So I will not be making him his gifts right now so I can focus more on the kids gifts. We also bought them a few things on Black friday so I wont be so stressed to get this all finished in time. :)

So my revised list is this:

DD: Dolly diapers
      Doll cradle
      Diaper bag with dolly clothes( done)
      Cape

ODS: Tool belt (done)
          wooden toy shaving razor
          fabric wallet
          Wooden sword (knight)
          Felt beard
          Felt knight helmet
         Sword holder
YDS: Tool belt(done)
         Wooden toy shaving razor
         fabric wallet
         Wooden sword (pirate)
         Felt beard
         Felt eye patch ( pirate)

Ah much more doable!

I also have some non christmas things I am trying to finish up. I am converting 15 of dd's prefolds into fitteds. I am also wanting to make dh and myself some house slippers. Anyone have a good pattern or tutorial for wool slippers? I do not knit or crochet so it will need to be a upcycled sweater version to sew. ;)

Kim: Wife To Colby. Mommy To DS1 Christopher and DS2 Bradly. :
Old 12-04-2012, 08:00 PM

I have been busy working on my projects....  I have all the quilt tops done although I am debating on stripping out the girl quilts still.  Will try to decide tonight when the kids go to bed (very very soon).  I did get one quilt quilted today.  I would have gotten more done but had to make a run to the quilt shop for some new needles- that cut into nap time dang it.  I also have knit 3 doll sweater/hat sets.  2 are for my dd and 1 is for my niece.  I also have 2 sets of baby doll dress/bloomers in the works.  They are about half done. Ohhh I also have a doll quilt for my niece pieced and quilted- but not bound. I have DD's prairie dress cut out- but not the apron or bonnet yet though.  I also finally found a pattern I think will make awesome slippers for the kids.  They are knit thrummed bunny slippers.  I am going to be weird and knit them out of acrylic (yuck I know) but with wool thrums.  I have knit so many wool slippers that end up wearing out immediately I just can't handle it anymore.  I might do a strand of thin wool with ww acrylic just to keep the thrums in better though....  So much to do and so little time.... Oh I guess I go my MIL's sweatshirt to redo too.

Good work everyone!  Rere- the coffee mugs are awesome :)  What kind of paint did you use?

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

Old 12-05-2012, 02:12 PM

I made a bunting doll today but thats it.. The children have been acting horrible.

My list of hopefully to dos:

Sewing: Everything is cut out except for the adult size mai tei

3 rag dolls

2 doll dresses

1 kimono/short doll set

knot doll

3 crayon wallets

2 art sets

2 pencil rolls

2 doll mai teis

small backpack

spaceship

cat

turtle

monster

penguin

apron- adult size

2 aprons- child size

3 potholders to match aprons

car roll

4 softbooks

taggie blanket

adult size mai tei

Knitting

Blessing gown

bonnet

booties

sweater

blanket (almost done, need to find the motivation to cast off)

6 pairs slippers

phanatic

4 washcloths

2 crowns

3 aliens

things needed for trip

3 topsy turvy dolls

3 knot blankets

Obviously not all of this will get done but hopefully some will.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:12 AM

I"m going to make my list here to try and keep myself on track. :)

So far I've made a stuffed giraffe, burp cloths and a baby star toy for my newborn niece.  I still need to sew her blanket, but the fabric is bought.

Also to do:

Make fishing set for 3 year old

sew christmas PJs for the kids

paint "Minecraft" blocks for my oldest

sew play food for 2 year old niece

make totes for friend gifts

make foam/fabric swords for my boys

Make stuffed toy for my daughter

Sew a minecraft "creeper" for ODS

And if I have time, sew a bunny for my bunny-loving 3 year old

Oie.  I'm so behind...

Old 12-07-2012, 03:54 AM

nigellas- Im always behind right about now :-) Its a busy time of the year..

Next year I already set a dead line of December 1st. If its not done by then its not getting done.

My to do list for today:

3 rag dolls- 1 body done

spaceship

3 knitted aliens

knot blanket

Old 12-07-2012, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

I'm in my new house now and have my knitting and sewing supplies. Yesterday I made 21 jars of jellies (cran-apple, peach-mango, and mint) and most of my nephew's beard-hat. Tuesday I finished a knit throw blanket for my sister in law and her hubby. I mostly finished the other knit blanket already but am not happy with it, might finish anyway and give to my mom in addition to other stuff, or give it to my boys. I'll sew one for my in-laws instead since that one didn't come out so great. 

Handmade stuff left to finish:

2 beard hats (nephew and little brother)

Silk-Wool gloves (1-4 pair)

Thick wool mittens (2 pair, my DS's)

Tea-tree colloidal silver soap (Dad)

Sewn throw blanket (FiL, sMiL)

Old 12-07-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiMom View Post

rere- nice mugs! For the pillowcase, when my husband was deployed I made him one and put everyone's handprint on it.. Hes suppose to be deploying again next year and Im going to make him a new one only this time Im getting the transfer photo paper and putting a photo of the family on it them doing the handprints around it.

For hard to make for people, how about something edible like preserves? Or something else that can be used up like bath salts. Both are easy to make and usually go over really well.

I need to get moving on gifts. I need to finish them so I can work on the baby's blessing gown. She is being blessed on the Sunday after Christmas so I need to finish the gown. Its knitted though and a pattern i have to concentrate on so I want to finish everything else before starting that.

A knit by mama blessing gown...how sweet!

And thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaorganic View Post

I have been busy working on my projects....  I have all the quilt tops done although I am debating on stripping out the girl quilts still.  Will try to decide tonight when the kids go to bed (very very soon).  I did get one quilt quilted today.  I would have gotten more done but had to make a run to the quilt shop for some new needles- that cut into nap time dang it.  I also have knit 3 doll sweater/hat sets.  2 are for my dd and 1 is for my niece.  I also have 2 sets of baby doll dress/bloomers in the works.  They are about half done. Ohhh I also have a doll quilt for my niece pieced and quilted- but not bound. I have DD's prairie dress cut out- but not the apron or bonnet yet though.  I also finally found a pattern I think will make awesome slippers for the kids.  They are knit thrummed bunny slippers.  I am going to be weird and knit them out of acrylic (yuck I know) but with wool thrums.  I have knit so many wool slippers that end up wearing out immediately I just can't handle it anymore.  I might do a strand of thin wool with ww acrylic just to keep the thrums in better though....  So much to do and so little time.... Oh I guess I go my MIL's sweatshirt to redo too.

Good work everyone!  Rere- the coffee mugs are awesome smile.gif  What kind of paint did you use?
Wow!You have been busy!

Thanks!I used a pebeo marker made for porcelain .

Old 12-07-2012, 10:12 AM

Well,I had a long list for today but nothing has happened so far.

I think my daughter is needing things to slow down a bit.I am trying to be patient and remind myself that stressing her out is not worth it just to get another thing crossed off my list.

Hopefully when my husband is around later she can get some snuggle time with him and I can get some stuff done.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:55 AM

UHG!

That sums up yesterday.

Today is a new day,right?

Old 12-08-2012, 04:20 PM

Today has been better!

I finished the calendar/journal for my mom and all the mini stockings and mittens for my sister's advent calendar.

Right now I am dyeing the clothes pins for the advent calendar.It's kinda funny to have a pot full of clothes pins on the stove.

How is everyone else?

Old 12-09-2012, 03:18 PM

Cool calendar!  

Yesterday I finished the 3rd quilt and basted the last two. Hopefully I can get the last two quilted this week. I wasted an insane amount of time on a printer tech support call though....  Which ruins my plans of printing out American Girl doll clothes patterns....  So I am not sure if I will get my replacement printer in time to do the clothes or not- so I am debating....  They might get 18"baby doll clothes instead which I guess are..... roomier?  Not a huge deal I think.  I also need to work on my MIL's gift and make my sock monkeys.... The slippers turned out so amazing- my DD loves them but wonders why I gave them to her already...  They are an I Love You gift...  But I love my feet too- so I want to make myself a pair and my DS1 some.  

2 weeks left elves!  Must get cracking!

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

Old 12-09-2012, 05:58 PM

I am about to finish the 11 pencil rolls I am making for my dh's employees; made in the company colors. Never again. All I asked of the man was to cut the fabric and I have revoked his scissors license. Not one piece of fabric was square, ugh...
Old 12-10-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:

I am about to finish the 11 pencil rolls I am making for my dh's employees; made in the company colors. Never again. All I asked of the man was to cut the fabric and I have revoked his scissors license. Not one piece of fabric was square, ugh...
My husband and I have this joke going because the only thing he can cut straight is bread and it's the only thing I can't cut straight.He can't understand how I can cut fabric,wood,etc. straight but do such a horrible job with the bread.He revoked my bread knife license.Ha!
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaorganic View Post

Cool calendar!  

Yesterday I finished the 3rd quilt and basted the last two. Hopefully I can get the last two quilted this week. I wasted an insane amount of time on a printer tech support call though....  Which ruins my plans of printing out American Girl doll clothes patterns....  So I am not sure if I will get my replacement printer in time to do the clothes or not- so I am debating....  They might get 18"baby doll clothes instead which I guess are..... roomier?  Not a huge deal I think.  I also need to work on my MIL's gift and make my sock monkeys.... The slippers turned out so amazing- my DD loves them but wonders why I gave them to her already...  They are an I Love You gift...  But I love my feet too- so I want to make myself a pair and my DS1 some.  

2 weeks left elves!  Must get cracking!
Thanks!

Would you be able to do some printing at your local library?That's what I do because we don't have a printer.

Ahhhh!Two weeks!

Yesterday we went to a 7 hour long birthday party that was an hour and a half away.So yeah,I didn't get anything made.Had a good time though!

Tags
Arts And Crafts
User Tag List