Handmade Holidays 2012 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 179 Old 12-26-2011, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)

Yes, I am going to be that person that starts this new thread the day after Christmas. This year was just too hectic. I want to make a plan and do a little each month so I have time to practice new skills I want to learn and have plenty of time to make each gift amazing. So it's not holiday/season jumping, it's project management. Rome wasn't built in a day. :-)

Of course, I've already got a couple of ideas brewing. I really do love thinking up the perfect gift for people. My in laws got my son a cute little fleece hat with ear flaps that velcro under the chin. He'll certainly outgrow it by next winter and the design looks simple enough so I figured I could sew him a new one - I really like this dinosaur hat pattern

In keeping with hats, I may do some simple reversible bucket hats for my nieces - maybe a summer in a box kit? Bucket hat, beach towel (embroidered or appliqued with their initials?), and a few summery toys or one of these snow cone machines (if I can find a good deal - almost $50 is a bit pricey). Anyone have any good ideas for summer/beach toys that I could make for a six and four year old?

The Shutterfly calendar that we made with pictures of our son for my parents in law was a huge hit. They still actually use paper calendars, so it's practical and a keepsake. My mother in law almost teared up paging through it, so I think that will be a gift we give them each year.  

Okay, your turn. I know I'm not alone here! The more time ahead we have to craft, the more we can do!

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#2 of 179 Old 12-26-2011, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We are moving across the country in June/July with three teenagers.  Going from one extreme climate/culture to another - I have NO ideas yet!

#3 of 179 Old 12-26-2011, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34me View Post

We are moving across the country in June/July with three teenagers.  Going from one extreme climate/culture to another - I have NO ideas yet!

Are you moving from warm to cold or vice versa? You could do hats and gloves and such if the new climate is chilly. Plus, it's a small project to pack and move.

Pinteresting while the baby naps is allowing me to find lots of good ideas - I want to make a set of these stuffed animals for my son - they perfectly match his bedding.

And as a second gift for my nieces, maybe some magnetic paper dolls with photos of them as the doll with Little House on the Prairie style outfits since I want to get my eldest niece the boxed set.

And I definitely want to do some canning for next year's hostess gifts...

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#4 of 179 Old 12-26-2011, 04:10 PM

Unfortunately we are going the other way round - from N. Colorado where it finally got above freezing today and we got a foot of snow last week to North Carolina where it was in the 60's all last week. 

I loved the monagramed mugs I saw on a blog recently so I may do those for co-worker birthdays before I leave work...

#5 of 179 Old 12-26-2011, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Well shoot - beach towels and accessories for everyone then! At least you can look forward to warmer weather. 

34me likes this.

#6 of 179 Old 12-27-2011, 07:46 AM

I'm in! 

1. This is the year of the Family Tree for three trees (mom's side, dad's side, husband's dad's side).  I'm going to ancestry my butt off and have them framed up as gifts.  I started on this 1/2011, but got side-tracked.  THIS is my year!

2. Embroider the naughty reindeer napkins.  This shouldn't be that difficult, but I've lazed up on the project because Aunt Martha napkins/towels aren't great quality and I want something that people can actually use and absorb liquid.  Ideas?

More to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post
And as a second gift for my nieces, maybe some magnetic paper dolls with photos of them as the doll with Little House on the Prairie style outfits since I want to get my eldest niece the boxed set.

Can you blog me to this idea?  That sounds like the *perfect* gift to make for this year's birthday party gifts (I'm the lazy mother that has ONE gift that everybody gets that year...it makes life so much easier!).  I can't remember the rules around here if we can link to blogs.  If not, can you just PM me what you know?

ETA (for my own reference):

Goals:
Felted wool stockings for all five of us
Advent Calendar - covers all 31 days
Tree topper - origami star?
Tree skirt
Fabric gift bags for all gifts
Genealogy

Gifts:
Husband -
Kid 1 (6F) -
Kid 2 (2M) -

Kid 3 (0?)-

Mom/Dad - Family Tree
Granny - Family Tree
Mammaw/Pawpaw - Family Tree

Cousin (5M) -
Cousin (1F) -

Cousin (0?) -

C's Teacher - $

Ornaments from kids (8) - http://www.according-to-kelly.com/2010/07/fingerprint-pendants-from-the-crafty-crow/

Finished and might be eligible for Christmas gifts:
* Set of two embroidered poinsettia dish towels
* Set of four embroidered snowflake napkins

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#7 of 179 Old 12-27-2011, 09:00 AM

I want to start in Feb or March... I already have some ideas of what I would like to do.

My children love to help in the kitchen and "play cook" but they don't have a play kitchen. I want to make or get one and then sew/knit a bunch of food for it. Add in some aprons and pot holders. It would be a joint gift for all three children.

My girls really want a doll house so a dollhouse and dolls with clothing for them. I was going to do it this year but didn't for a variety of reasons.

I found a pattern for a spaceship and aliens that I think would be perfect for the baby. He will be almost 2 at the time so he would enjoy something like that..

Family is always had.. Im thinking of doing the same thing for every person. Purses and little notebooks for the women and scarfs/hats for the men. Easy, quick and no thinking required.

After birthdays (one in Jan and one in Feb) I will sit down and make a list of what needs to get done and figure out when to do what.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#8 of 179 Old 12-27-2011, 04:19 PM

I always feel a little weird starting that early.Like some how the gift isn,t going to be relevant 8months later.I know that's silly but it holds me back.I'll get over it...

#9 of 179 Old 12-27-2011, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanQueen99 View Post

Can you blog me to this idea?  That sounds like the *perfect* gift to make for this year's birthday party gifts (I'm the lazy mother that has ONE gift that everybody gets that year...it makes life so much easier!).  I can't remember the rules around here if we can link to blogs.  If not, can you just PM me what you know?

This one I didn't find on Pinterest; I just kind of thought up. But I do plan to mention it on my own blog when I get them going so I'll show it off then. :-)

What I plan to do is have my sister dress the girls in a neutral outfit (like khakis and a white t-shirt) and stand with their legs slightly apart and their arms held out slightly from their sides and take a photo. I'll enlarge the photo and print it on magnetic paper (or print it on regular paper and glue it to a magnetic sheet; either way works) and then cut out the "doll". The clothes I will size and print the same way from images I find online (hopefully). 

#10 of 179 Old 12-28-2011, 11:39 AM

^^^ Thanks for the description. Please do link to your blog when you're working on them so I can get the visual that I always need!

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#11 of 179 Old 12-30-2011, 03:47 PM

Heres my goals list.. if I get half of it done Ill be happy ROTFLMAO.gifI always plan more than I can get done so I have a choice in what I do orngbiggrin.gif Sounds crazy but it works for me! This list includes all holidays and birthday.. As well as the late Christmas presents I need to finish for my husband. xs mean I have everything for them, just need to do them.

January:

Husband’s stocking
- Phun Phur Phanatic
x-Bursting bomb washcloth
x- knitted grenade (probably should stop here and explain hes an ammo tech for the Marines, he will find these two very amusing… he asked for a grenade shaped mug for Christmas)
Photo mug
x-jack skellington mug cozy to join mug
collage of Christmas Pictures

x-dresses for the girls (they want pink cammie dresses) and hair ties

x-outfit for DS, the girls picked out the fabric..

-alter the dress I got for me so I can nurse in it

My oldest daughter’s birthday (turning 5!! Where did the time go??)
Dress with matching hairtie
x Horse scarf
x shrug

barn purse
x dog (this was suppose to be a Christmas present but is still half done on the counter, now its turned into a birthday present :))

February:

Baby’s 1st birthday!
1st birthday shirt
x beanie/booties
x giraffe sweater

x baby outfits(this was suppose to be a Christmas present but is still half done on the counter, now its turned into a birthday present :))
x Dinosaur(this was suppose to be a Christmas present but is still half done on the counter, now its turned into a birthday present :))
x Monster(this was suppose to be a Christmas present but is still half done on the counter, now its turned into a birthday present :))

2 Veggie tale Cloth books (1 done, 1 to go)

Car mat

BILs birthday: Not sure, hes a hard one to make (or buy) for.. he doesn’t drink hot drinks, doesn’t like sweets, doesn’t wear hats, scarves or gloves.. he has no hobby past breeding snakes and playing on his computer, doesn’t work, doesn’t go to school.. He got out of the military in June and has been pretty bitter about everything since then so I’m at a lost.. maybe I can find some World of Warcraft inspired craft for him.

Nephews birthday: Carmat

April:

Easter: (I usually try to take the children out someplace pretty and take some nice pictures of them around this time so the outfits double as picture outfits)
a few items for the basket: little chicks, playsilks, Sock Giraffe, sock monkey, 3 crayon wallets, stuffed horse, horse washcloth, monkey washcloth, giraffe washcloth, 2 beanie to match Shrug, BoM book, temple book, bible book, 2 sets of pocket gnomes

Shrug for my oldest
shrug for my middle
Dress for my oldest
dress for my middle
tie for the baby
Maybe a sweater or vest for the baby depending on what is going on and how much time I have.

May:

Mothers Day
Grandma Apron for my MIL
Children’s hand print picture frame for my MIL
Brag book for my MIL

MIL’s birthday:
jewelry organizer with a set of jewelry

My father’s birthday:
Flushie! A knitted toilet and plunger. He will think its the best thing, he has that sort of humor

June

Fathers day
My husband and FIL: Grill aprons and grill tool rolls with tools.. I actually have one of the aprons cut out in storage, I was going to do them for this father's day and then they got caught up during packing and forgotten about.
My father: brag book and photo mug of grandchildren

SIL1’s birthday: Harry potter scarf
SIL2’s birthday: x Eeyore pillowcase and slippers

October:

Halloween: Costumes for the children

November:

Middle daughter’s birthday (subject to change if she changes her mind)
monkey
monkey sweater
Im sure there will be a couple more things

Husband’s birthday, hes turning 30 so I need to tease him :)
Quillow
some fun gag type gifts :) Just to mess with him :)

Anniversary:

Im redoing our room, my husband has been complaining for the last 7 years that I have never done anything to make our room nicer so here I go :)

a king size quilt for bed

curtains for windows

pictures for the walls

some nice artwork for the walls

closet organizer Im sure there will be a couple more things

December:

SIL3’s birthday: jewelry organizer, jewelry set
FIL’s birthday: Knitted Santa

Christmas:

Non-present crafting:
5 stockings- mixture of Cross stitch, knitting and sewing depending on the person.
3 elf hats
2 santa hats
wreath
x advent calender (2)- these are partly done in storage, I was going to do them two years ago but lost track of time and didn't get them done.. then they were in storage for this year so didn't do them so next year is the year!
advent candles
Elf for Christmas activities
2 Christmas dresses for the girls
4 Christmas sweaters (me and the children, my husband won’t wear anything I make for him :( )
5 Ornaments: 1 monkey, 1 horse, 1 giraffe, 1 marine cover, 1 I have no clue :)
fabric garlands so they don’t rip when we put them on the tree
knitted nativity

doing a 12 ornament in 2012 knit-a-long, that way our tree looks a little less bare than it usually does.

FIL- hot cocoa hotcocoa.png basket
MIL- quilted purse with quilted notepad
BIL hot cocoa hotcocoa.png basket
SIL1 quilted purse with quilted notepad
SIL2 quilted purse with quilted notepad
Niece quilted purse with quilted notepad
SIL3 quilted purse with quilted notepad
SIL3’s SO hot cocoa hotcocoa.png basket
Nephew- activity book, bath mitt, beanie
Grandma-in-law quilted purse with quilted notepad
grandpa-in-law- Beanie/scarf
grandma-in-law2- framed picture
my father- scarf and beanie
my brother scarf and beanie

Husband- hygenie bag and ???
Shared presents for the children:
All 3: Play kitchen with food and dishes
The girls: dollhouse, dolls and clothing

DD1 Crafting kits
DD2: ??
DS: Space ship with aliens, car/train/bus/fire engine

Stocking ideas for the children: scarf/beanie/glove sets, stuffed animal(Im thinking of making each an animal out of my old cammies.. I thought they would like that and it would give me something to do with all the uniforms I still have), photo albums, finger puppets, activity books, bath mitts, pop up books, jewelry sets (girls), mug cozy, safari animals, Braided ball (DS) roll up chalk board (DS)

My brothers birthday ??? Not quite sure but we will figure it out.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#12 of 179 Old 12-30-2011, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Dang Okimom, you'll need the whole year!

#13 of 179 Old 12-30-2011, 07:04 PM

I do know for certain that I'll want to finish DD's stocking.  I started this year, but I wanted to embroider it and didn't have enough time.  She's only 5 months old though, and very much an up-in-arms babe still, so it was really hard for me to get things done this year as she is only starting to enjoy playing with things by herself on the floor for short periods of time.  By next year, she'll be a bit more independent and I can probably have her stay with some family members while DH and I do crafty things.  Or maybe she'll actually nap then...I can dream, right?  I also want to get more cloth gift bags done as well.  That's as far as I know right now.  I do want DD to have some puppets next year, so that's an idea for sure.

#14 of 179 Old 12-30-2011, 07:05 PM

Oh, and I know I am making photo books for all the grandparents next year of DD's first year.  I got a great deal through Groupon for printing and it's good for a full year, so I'm going to get that done and printed long before Christmas (but after DD turns one in July).  Not exactly homemade, but kind of...it would be designed by me!  At least I can do that on the computer while she's nursing.

#15 of 179 Old 12-30-2011, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

I've got some things to add to my list - 

Safari stuffed animals for my son. These are so cute and match his nursery stuff nearly perfectly. I'm not sure I'll do all five this year since we are a bit limited on space. I like the lion and gorilla the best, so definitely those two. 

I also like these granola and honey gift sets - might make a good hostess gift.

#16 of 179 Old 12-31-2011, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amautik View Post

I do know for certain that I'll want to finish DD's stocking.  I started this year, but I wanted to embroider it and didn't have enough time.  She's only 5 months old though, and very much an up-in-arms babe still, so it was really hard for me to get things done this year as she is only starting to enjoy playing with things by herself on the floor for short periods of time.  By next year, she'll be a bit more independent and I can probably have her stay with some family members while DH and I do crafty things.  Or maybe she'll actually nap then...I can dream, right?  I also want to get more cloth gift bags done as well.  That's as far as I know right now.  I do want DD to have some puppets next year, so that's an idea for sure.

Mine were all really dependent, wouldn't be put down at all, until around 6ish months and then I got some time without them in my arms.. Its hardest with your first, my oldest was pretty much in my arms until around 11ish months even though she started to walk before she was 8 months old. She just wanted mommy.. Enjoy it! My oldest turns 5 in January and sometimes I think I need to schedule an appointment just to get a hug lol.gif

#17 of 179 Old 12-31-2011, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

Dang Okimom, you'll need the whole year!

hahha Thats why I start year.. Although Im thinking of banning any more children from entering this family, too many members already.. (this is totally a joke of course, babies are always welcomed).

I plan on working on Birthday/other holiday gifts in Jan and Feb and starting Christmas in March. Hopefully then I can get it all done in time. If I don't its not the biggest thing either. Im pretty flexible with not getting items done, life happens and its more important to enjoy your family and stress out smile.gif

#18 of 179 Old 12-31-2011, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Heather- neither one of us finished the Eeyore pillowcases in 2011??  hummmm

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#19 of 179 Old 01-01-2012, 05:05 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

So I'll be doing handmade gifts this year as well.  And yes I'm starting already. I have my list and I'll put it up here soon but does anyone have any ideas for a sister gift?  My sister and I are very close and I'm trying to come up with something I can do that would be very special to her.  I can't do a photo book as we have few photos together.  Any ideas would be very helpful.

#20 of 179 Old 01-01-2012, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakcerka View Post

So I'll be doing handmade gifts this year as well.  And yes I'm starting already. I have my list and I'll put it up here soon but does anyone have any ideas for a sister gift?  My sister and I are very close and I'm trying to come up with something I can do that would be very special to her.  I can't do a photo book as we have few photos together.  Any ideas would be very helpful.

If she's the sentimental type, you could do a thankful jar for her. You write out a reason why you are thankful for/love her on a little slip of scrapbook paper for every day in the year. Each day she pulls one out and can be reminded how much you love her and love being her sister. 

Do you sew? You could make her an apron, bag, pillow, or quilt out of fabric that is meaningful to her. 

#21 of 179 Old 01-01-2012, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

My sewing is Ok.  My 7 yr old is better than I am... no joke.  But I have time.  I can practice.  I think she would like a blanket.  She still sleeps with one of my baby blankets that she refuses to give back to me on account that she won't be able to sleep if she doesn't have it.  She's a turd.  But I love her.

#22 of 179 Old 01-01-2012, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post

Heather- neither one of us finished the Eeyore pillowcases in 2011??  hummmm

hahah I just thought about that.. I want to get that done! Its becoming a thorn in my side, kind of like the bus sweater I still haven't finished.. 2012 is the year though, it WILL get done..

#23 of 179 Old 01-01-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakcerka View Post

My sewing is Ok.  My 7 yr old is better than I am... no joke.  But I have time.  I can practice.  I think she would like a blanket.  She still sleeps with one of my baby blankets that she refuses to give back to me on account that she won't be able to sleep if she doesn't have it.  She's a turd.  But I love her.

Blankets are really easy to make.. I made each of mine blankets in 2010.. Just two pieces of same size fabric (I used a meter of flannel and a meter of minky), put right sides together sew up except for a opening to turn it, turn it right side out then top stitch. Looks pretty good and mine LOVE theirs.. I made them quillows in 2011 because they loved holes into the ones I made in 2010 (my kids are hard on things and moving from one country to another didn't help).

You could also use bias tape.. Just put two fabrics wrong side together, stitch, then attach bias tape to the edge to make the edges clean. However, I HATE HATE HATE (did I mention HATE) bias tape.. I can't think of to many things I dislike in sewing but bias tape is one of them, so I avoid it. Id rather take a bit more time then have to deal with that stuff. Last time I used it I had to undo it and redo it at least 5 times and Im a decent sewer.

#24 of 179 Old 01-02-2012, 12:35 AM

Grabbing a spot. I am going to try to do the 52 in 2012 so they are natural extensions of each other.

My January goals are to finish up a few little projects I didn't get done for this Christmas including stockings and an angel for our tree.

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#25 of 179 Old 01-04-2012, 01:48 PM

I just finished up sewing the stars for the garland I am making for next season.  I used up a lot of scraps making them and they are so cute.  Now I have to figure out what I want to use as the base of the garland (and measure the stairs). 

Glad to have found this thread!

#26 of 179 Old 01-04-2012, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softmama View Post

I just finished up sewing the stars for the garland I am making for next season.  I used up a lot of scraps making them and they are so cute.  Now I have to figure out what I want to use as the base of the garland (and measure the stairs). 

Glad to have found this thread!

You should post pictures!

#27 of 179 Old 01-04-2012, 05:08 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Not sure what to make for DD - this year in addition to Christmas and her birthday I also need gifts for both Eid's, so I have double gift duty. DD will turn 6 in September and for far my ideas are:

DD:

Barbie dresses {super easy to make}

A custom patchwork quilt for her bed {I've done patchwork before, but never a full quilt. This would need to be either twin or full sized}

Dresses for either her bitty baby or for American Girl Doll - she wants an american girl doll but I'm not sure she's old enough to take care of it, so more likely it will be dresses for her bitty baby & maybe a matching one for her. 

Finish the mattress and bedding set for the baby cradle I got for the bitty baby - this was supposed to be for this past Christmas

My Mom:

I'm thinking of making her a new dress - I made her one last year and she really likes it, so maybe do a repeat of that. 

I'm open to ideas on both of these too - I'm really at a loss for for new ideas. 

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#28 of 179 Old 01-05-2012, 09:59 PM
esg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm going to join.

I'm doing a lot of money related challenges (not to mention getting myself out of debt) and was considering sticking to home/handmade for the upcoming holidays.

I have a few things on my list but I really need to do some brainstorming.

So far I have:

My sister's apron that I've yet to finish

A relaxation kit for a cousin who was a big help during my pregnancy. She has two very active boys and loves things that smell good.

I have a photography related gift for my grandmother and one for my son

I have a cloth toy to make for my son

I'm thinking of knitting a week set of cup cozies (whatever they call them!) for my sister who loves her starbucks

Single mama by choice to sonbabyf.gif 2/2011.
I love showing my little sweetheart (now a busy preschooler!) the world!

#29 of 179 Old 01-11-2012, 05:39 PM

Here is a link to the star garland I made.  I attached all the stars to simple string thinking I would like how "rustic" that would look but I'm not sold.  I might take them off and try and find a sturdy ribbon or something to attach them too. 

http://s742.photobucket.com/albums/xx64/softmama/?action=view&current=101_0581.jpg

Here is the advent calendar kit I made for two sets of nieces/nephews for last Christmas (posting here bc the 2011 thread has no more traffic).  I made the background for them and then put a picture of each ornament and all the little pieces they need in a baggie.  That way each ornament had it's own baggie and they just needed to go to town with fabric glue.

http://s742.photobucket.com/albums/xx64/softmama/?action=view&current=101_0555.jpg

#30 of 179 Old 01-11-2012, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softmama View Post

Here is a link to the star garland I made.  I attached all the stars to simple string thinking I would like how "rustic" that would look but I'm not sold.  I might take them off and try and find a sturdy ribbon or something to attach them too. 

http://s742.photobucket.com/albums/xx64/softmama/?action=view&current=101_0581.jpg

Pretty nice, but I think you're right - they need a little something more. What about a thicker sisal twine or multi-colored baker's twine?

Tags
Arts And Crafts

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page