52 Project Challege, 2012 - Page 10 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#271 of 595 Old 02-11-2012, 09:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Wow, YAY!  Congratulations, Heather!

Neat idea to blog your challenge, gardenbelle!  good luck with that; it looks great!

Mama to 3 boys 

#272 of 595 Old 02-11-2012, 09:50 AM

I have been working on that shawl still.  We are going to be spending a lot of time in the car today- so I will get to knit a lot!  I am down to 8 rows :)  I am also going to make DS3 some pocket or AIO diapers.  I had to cull a bunch of his that were just rags- so I need to make another dozen or so fitted diapers and I think some pocket or AIOs would be good for my diaper bag- trying to wean myself off disposables.  So my list is getting a little longer I guess- but that is ok too.  DS2 is potty learning- so that is awesome- and making CDing so much more manageable.  I don't think I have been down to one kid in diapers in over 3 years!  So yeah- life is sweetening up for awhile and then this summer it will be back to two...    OK- so my goal is to make 6 pockets/AIOs...  I am going to hit both Hoblob and JoAnns to double my coupon buying ability since they both carry babyville :)  Actually I was thinking about stopping at a second Hoblob to make it even cheaper- but DH might revolt on that- he just doesn't get the cheapness  that can sometimes be me:)

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#273 of 595 Old 02-11-2012, 12:38 PM

Congratulations to the pregnant ladies! I hope you both have easy, morning-sickness-free pregnancies.

I am so behind! DH was gone on a business trip, and now he's working 60 hours a week or more (tax season) and I'm just so unproductive. 

My niece is going to come over and help with the kids next week, so if I don't post a bunch of accomplishments by Friday I will be in trouble . . . with myself.

#274 of 595 Old 02-12-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenbelle View Post

Congratulations, Okimom!  That is fantastic news! 

I just finished project that was originally intended to be a b-day gift for a 3rd bday party we are going to next weekend.  Now it looks too cute in my daughter's room so I am keeping it there. :)  I decided to just create a blog to upload the project photos so that I could look back on the year easier amd it would be easier to copy/paste photos.  I'm not working on growing an audience for it, it's pretty much only going to be shared here.

So, my project was making balls out of old felted sweaters.  I have a ton of scraps in my scrap pile and I've been wanting to stuff something with them for ages.  The balls are super heavy (hubby's been making a a ton of jokes about my balls now) but the children are having fun rolling them around and stacking them.  They would definitely be more throwable if I used cotton stuffing, but I wanted up upcycle those scraps.

Here's a link to the blog:

http://52projectsinayear.blogspot.com/

Super cute!

#275 of 595 Old 02-13-2012, 09:02 AM

Okay, I am taking a garden point for getting my back garden all done (cleaned/hoed/planted).  It took me longer than I expected because I kept having to take a day off for soreness, and then my dh reminded me that my mama gave me a cool garden rocker stool which I pulled out of the shed and used for planting; it made a really big diff for this pg mama.thumb.gif  The other large veggie garden is almost all planted, too, and the herb garden is all cleaned out, including a lot of transplanting (of strawberries and echinacea- and some volunteer zinnias already coming up, too).

I am about to put away my corduroy quilt top for a while; I won't need it for awhile anyway, and I have more quilts more pressing now.  That one is going to be oversized lap, mostly to be a floor quilt for baby, so like I said, there is plenty of time and I will get it done. winky.gif  But I am about to have a twin bed delivered here for my youngest, and I need to quickly make a quilt for that bed.  I bought some more Eye Spy fabrics yesterday, but I need to go for more fabrics for that.  And then, I want to make a quilt for my bed and it will match one that will be for the crib and is an already started and soon to be completed UFO.  I want to finish all these before I get back to the corduroy.  It really feels like quilts want to be the bulk of my projects for this year, which is making me worry about making 52, but with gifts and other small things, I am sure I will make it!  I am totally planning to take a point for finishing each quilt top and then another point for quilting and binding each one, except that  won't take any points until the whole quilt is done, as that wouldn't be fair to take a point for producing a UFO if I don't quilt the quilt top!

I hope you all have a nice week!

Mama to 3 boys 

#276 of 595 Old 02-13-2012, 09:54 AM

Nice work ms.shell!

I just whipped up a pillow case for a Valentine present for my husband(good thing wrinkles don't bother him.HA!).Phew!I didn't think that was going to happen.Now I just need to do a little something for my daughter.

#277 of 595 Old 02-13-2012, 11:53 AM

Phew!Valentine present number 2 is drying!

Never mind the filthy house,the Valentines are made!Ha!

#278 of 595 Old 02-13-2012, 07:56 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)

I finally did something! So now it's the middle of February and I've done two whole things. Not off to a great start... anyhow I got the Valentine's Day cards done, just in the nick of time. My husband and I made one together last night for our son and tonight I made my husband's. Hopefully it's not another month before I do something else now... 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#279 of 595 Old 02-13-2012, 08:11 PM

18/52 I made my friend a carseat canopy for her little one coming in March.  I am also pre washing a bunch of fabric for some other baby gifts.  Well not baby gifts as much as mama pampering gifts.  I am going to sew each of my friends a gown like I made myself.  I love mine :)  I am trying to stall a little on my diapers because I really want to serge them and DH agreed to let me buy a serger :)  So- I don't want to do more than get them cut out before I get it- which I am not sure when that will happen- hopefully this week!  So- I am going to get the baby gifts done and the diapers cut out and twiddle my thumbs I guess.

I knit a ton on Saturday and am down to 4 rows on the shawl that never ends...  Soon I will get it done!

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#280 of 595 Old 02-14-2012, 08:57 AM

Must not take a nap today.Must work on projects(especially since I need to hem my husbands pant before he leaves for a quick tour tomorrow ).All I want to do is sleep.

#281 of 595 Old 02-15-2012, 09:38 AM

Finished another section on the never-ending project on Monday night. Now the kids are seeing that it's close to being finished and are starting to ask about it constantly, which is a little annoying but also motivating. The last section is going to be horrendous to get done, but if I can finish it by Monday I could put it up that day. . .I'll have help.

#282 of 595 Old 02-15-2012, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

January

Nothing but lots of work accomplished and planning

February

1. Legwarmer (1)

2. Blue/Brown/Cream Blanket

3. Blue/green/yellow Blanket (small)

I've started on the 2nd leg warmer..

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#283 of 595 Old 02-15-2012, 08:47 PM

19/52.  I made 2 of the cutest most awesome pocket diapers tonight!  they are pul stabilized with flannel and lined with cotton velour stabilized with flannel.  I bound them with contrasting foe and they turned out so stinking cute!  DH was impressed even!  I'm going to try stuffing them tomorrow- too tired right now.  I also am down to half a row and binding off on my shawl.  I knit like a crazy person today on the trip to get my Vday SERGER from DH!  I don't think we were home for more than a quick potty break for everyone before I fired it up!  I even served  around the pocket diapers to keep all the layers together before I did the FOE.  My DH is a sweetheart!

#284 of 595 Old 02-15-2012, 09:11 PM

Pics please!  They sound so cute!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaorganic View Post

19/52.  I made 2 of the cutest most awesome pocket diapers tonight!  they are pul stabilized with flannel and lined with cotton velour stabilized with flannel.  I bound them with contrasting foe and they turned out so stinking cute!  DH was impressed even!  I'm going to try stuffing them tomorrow- too tired right now.  I also am down to half a row and binding off on my shawl.  I knit like a crazy person today on the trip to get my Vday SERGER from DH!  I don't think we were home for more than a quick potty break for everyone before I fired it up!  I even served  around the pocket diapers to keep all the layers together before I did the FOE.  My DH is a sweetheart!

Married since 4/2004 treehugger.gif mom to DSkid.gif6/2008, DD bf.gif 4/2010 and one on the way.  52 project challenge: 16/52

#285 of 595 Old 02-18-2012, 06:55 AM

I've done nothing!eyesroll.gif

Hopefully today I'm going to a friend's house for a crafternoon where I will get another baby present made.

How is everyone else??

#286 of 595 Old 02-19-2012, 12:08 PM

Ok I finished a hat for a co-worker's baby.  Another baby hat for my housemate's baby and a third for a friend's.  I did all my bookmark Valentine's and ds made 30 homemade Valentine's (so I am counting his project too, because he's 4.5 and didn't do it alone!) I'm calling it 15/52!  Now I wonder if I can count my Senior Assessment Portfolio for student teaching?  I am no where near finished, but I work on it more than anything else!!!!

#287 of 595 Old 02-19-2012, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone_kneegrabber View Post

Ok I finished a hat for a co-worker's baby.  Another baby hat for my housemate's baby and a third for a friend's.  I did all my bookmark Valentine's and ds made 30 homemade Valentine's (so I am counting his project too, because he's 4.5 and didn't do it alone!) I'm calling it 15/52!  Now I wonder if I can count my Senior Assessment Portfolio for student teaching?  I am no where near finished, but I work on it more than anything else!!!!

I think I counted student teaching the year I did that.  ST was 12 weeks of stress, horror and near death experiences.  You can count the Portfolio by all means!

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#288 of 595 Old 02-19-2012, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

I haven't done anything but work on unpacking. At least we are about 1/2 unpacked.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#289 of 595 Old 02-19-2012, 04:58 PM

I FINISHED THE SHAWL!!!!  I even have it blocking in the toy area!  20/52

I also spent my day yesterday crafting and finished

2 nursing night gowns for my pg friends 22/52

2 more diapers- which when clean I will post a pic 23/52

2 serged receiving blankets and a set of nursing pads- won't count these since they really took no time at all.

I also cast on for a bay hat...  I would like to make a couple new baby hats for the same pg friends....

Yay for progress.  I haven't done anything today other than block the shawl.  I have been tearing apart my house and car looking for my checkbook.  I am thinking it is a lost cause though....

#290 of 595 Old 02-19-2012, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Ok - I had to go waaaaaay back to find my (sad) count! I'm giving myself a point for starting my cross-stitch 'cause it took 3 weeks to gather everything together & actually start (after thinking about it even longer). I even finished stitching the first colour over the weekend.

I'm at a whopping 3 of 52, falling behind over here.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#291 of 595 Old 02-19-2012, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

iowa- yay for finishing the shawl!! And the other projects

life- Im behind too but at least we are working on things. Thats the most important part orngbiggrin.gif

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#292 of 595 Old 02-20-2012, 08:55 AM

Ok, finally got around to finishing a few things. After having to buy a new hot glue gun, I finished the felt board and felt characters for DS's board. I just did a handful to start with (cow, triceratops, snake, car, train, flower) and figure I can add to it throughout the year. A friend posted a template for Mr. Potato Head pieces on pinterest that looks like a fun idea for felt.  I'm also about halfway through my scarf. I joined a local crafting group and my first meetup with them will be this Thursday, so hopefully that will help keep me motivated.

New total 5/52

wash.gifMommy to my little Nugget bouncy.gifribboncesarean.gif 

144/2014 items decluttered   2/52 projects completed

#293 of 595 Old 02-20-2012, 09:24 PM

i'm editing this post to say I finished my DS's twin I-Spy quilt top.  I have to go buy backing fabric for it, I think in a few minutes, and maybe I'll finish quilting it tonight.  

Mama to 3 boys 

#294 of 595 Old 02-23-2012, 07:01 AM

Alright!  I finished DS's quilt for his new twin bed before DH even started building it!

tquilt.JPG

I used rainbow variegated thread for the quilting, and then I used it to serge the edges.  The serging instead of binding looks pretty cool,  but I doubt it would be very hard wearing.  I will have to buy fabric to make binding, though, so the serging works in the meantime!

That brings me to 6.

Mama to 3 boys 

#295 of 595 Old 02-23-2012, 10:18 AM

^^^ Wow!  That's awesome, Ms. Shell!  He's going to love it.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#296 of 595 Old 02-24-2012, 08:27 AM

Super cool MsShell!  I never would have thought to serge the edges- but it would make it so much nicer for binding!  Lucky little boy!

Anyone with some great baby shower gift ideas?  For my cousins who I don't really know very well?  I have 3 of them coming right up.... I was thinking a breastfeeding basket- but it would kind of surprise me if they bf :(.  I suppose I could ask- but that would be kind of awkward.  A carseat canopy?  Another baby blanket? I don't really feel the need to spend hours making them baby quilts- so that is kind of out...  Ideas please?

#297 of 595 Old 02-24-2012, 10:57 AM

Thanks, ya'll.

Well, receiving blankets are super easy shower gifts whether you make them one layer on the serger or two layers and turn them.  I have also given sweet toys as shower gifts, either a pretty patchwork ball with ribbon taggies, or that "Baby's 1st Book of Colors" crazy patchwork book.  A little dolly is a fun gift for a baby girl, but for me a doll is even more complicated than a quilt.  Once I used felt to make a thin stuffed butterfly with crinkle wings (SunChips bag in the wings) that hanged, from the crib or carrier or whatever.  

I'm going to take just another half point for finishing up some nearly finished little things I found in cleaning my sewing room; I put the handles on a wine gift bag, hand sewed the openings on a handful of fleece dog bones- and something else I can't remember what, not to mention got the sewing room all cleaned.  

Have a great weekend, mamas!

Mama to 3 boys 

#298 of 595 Old 02-24-2012, 01:12 PM

Beautiful blanket, Ms.Shell! 

FrugalGranolamom, can't wait to see the felt board - I've been thinking about doing one in my son's room.

For me, we are staying home all weekend, no plans, woohoo!  This means lots of house and craft projects will be completed (hopefully?).  Will update after the weekend!

Married since 4/2004 treehugger.gif mom to DSkid.gif6/2008, DD bf.gif 4/2010 and one on the way.  52 project challenge: 16/52

#299 of 595 Old 02-24-2012, 06:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Quote:

Originally Posted by iowaorganic View Post

Anyone with some great baby shower gift ideas? 

My current favourite easy baby present is appliqued body suits. You can also use t-shirts or singlets.

Buy plain body suits.

Cut a shape out of fabric. Sometimes I use the shape as the feature, other times I use the pattern on the fabric as the feature and fussy cut a square or rectangle. I have also cut out around large picture prints.

Adhere the fabric to the body suit using iron-on interfacing.

Machine or hand sew around the edge. I usually just do a straight machine stitch stitch but I've also experimented with chain stitch which looks really good. I used a double strand of sewing cotton but you could also use a couple of strands of embroidery floss.

Here are a couple I did for my LO. The first one is chain stitched the second one is sort of stem stitched but it's a bit messy.

003.JPG006.JPG

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#300 of 595 Old 02-25-2012, 10:49 AM

Ohhh I like that idea Katelove!  I think I might do a double sided blanket- maybe one layer of flannel and one of quilters cotton and make a matching bodysuit or two!  Maybe a burp rag to match!  That is clever!  Thanks!

Tags
Arts And Crafts

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page