52 Project Challege, 2012 - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 595 Old 02-25-2012, 01:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Oh wow! I love that quilt ms.shell.

Here is a pic of the "finished" felt board.

DSC03924.JPG

I just used plain white for the background so DS can change up the scenery. I'm calling it done because it's enough for him to play with right now, but I do want to add more pieces to it.

I finally finished the pot holders so my new total is 6/52.

wash.gifMommy to my little Nugget bouncy.gifribboncesarean.gif 

144/2014 items decluttered   2/52 projects completed

#302 of 595 Old 02-26-2012, 11:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

I'm adding a project to my list. But it's quite a long term one which probably won't be finished until November winky.gif makebabe.gif

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#303 of 595 Old 02-27-2012, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katelove View Post

I'm adding a project to my list. But it's quite a long term one which probably won't be finished until November winky.gif makebabe.gif

Congratulations! So many babies on this thread. joy.gif

#304 of 595 Old 02-27-2012, 07:24 AM

Quote:

Wooo!Hooo!

There must be something in the water on this thread.Ha!

#305 of 595 Old 02-27-2012, 07:31 AM

I finished another baby present(two more to go)and a mask for my nephew.

Ok,my husband just took my daughter out for a few hours and my house is fairly cleaned up.I guess that means I should tackle something else on the list,right?or I could just spend the time on Pinterest.Ha!

#306 of 595 Old 02-27-2012, 07:56 AM

Sorry I have to add my list again.My original post with it is acting all wacky.

1.t-shirt hat

2.t-shirt hat

3.doll shoe storage(finished)

4.pocket pillow

5.felt sweater bag

5.cardigan(finished)

6.remake slippers(finished)

7.shorts for under my girl's skirts(finished)

8.star garland(finished)

9.car organizer

10.snack bags(finished)

11.re-do skirt

12.make paper

13.bedroom curtains(finished)

14.living room curtain

15.piano bench cover

16.-20.stepping stones

21.bird bath

22.mittens for my girl

23.slippers for my nephew

24.b-day gift for mom(beach bag?)

25.m-day gift

26.b-day gift for sister

27.b-day gift for daughter

28.storage boxes(ideally I would like to make a whole bunch of these but we'll see what happens since I don't even have a prototype yet.

29.fix stepfather's pants

30.raised bed

31.message board

32.bag for Mary

33.peg people for nephew(finished)

34.beach bag

35.bday gift ss(finished)

36.finish doll cushion

37.pillow covers (finished)

38.house numbers

39.cord keeper

40.mittens for my nephew

41.sweater blanket

42.S&T baby gift(finished)

43.J baby gift(finished)

44.Z baby gift

45.v day present for my husband(finished)

46.v day present for my gal(finished)

47.finish husband slippers

48.hooded scarf

49.T baby gift(finished)

50.cat bed(finished)
51.cat mask(finished)

#307 of 595 Old 02-27-2012, 11:06 AM

Made another baby gift!and my husband and daughter are still out so maybe I can check something else off??

#308 of 595 Old 02-27-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:

Wonderful news!  Congratulations. :)

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#309 of 595 Old 02-27-2012, 03:50 PM

Congratulations Katelove!  And holy smokes don't hang out here if you don't want a baby- apparently it is catching!  

I made another 8 pocket diapers- they turned out so cute!  I think I am good on the pocket diapers now and need to work on some flannel ones- but I was going to order some fabric and velcro from very baby- and now they are temporarily closed?  I am bummed.    Anyway- I am going to take a couple points (25/52).  

I changed my mind and think I am going to do breastfeeding baskets.  They should and that is my logic.  That and one of my best friends just had a baby and I saw her nursing covers in action at church- and wow.  I really have been missing out I think.  So I am doing the nursing cover and burp rags and pads and lanolin or hurts bees or something...

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#310 of 595 Old 02-27-2012, 05:10 PM

I was able to get one more project in today.I made some covers for my pillows!Now I can finally was them again(they are down pillows that have holes in them).

Now I need to come up with an idea for a birthday gift for my mom.

#311 of 595 Old 02-27-2012, 10:35 PM

Beautiful felt board FrugalGranolaMom!

Congratulations, Katelove!  Hopefully I will join you soon! :)

For me, I got a lot done this weekend.  I made 10 PJ bottoms for my 22 month old and two tops (she usually wears onesies for her top).  The cost?  Nothing.  Ahh, the beauty of upcycling.

Upcycled PJs

This weekend, one of the projects I worked on was my daughter's next size up pajamas. Ten to be exact. She has skin sensitivities and I only dress her in cotton and bamboo to sleep in. If I were to buy her a new set of PJs (10 in all) that were either Eima/Egyptian/organic cotton or bamboo, It would probably be around $300. using old yoga gear? It cost me zero.

Here's the clothes I started off with. Arm sleeves work wonderfully as pant legs up until about 24 months. For the pattern, I take an old, ratty pear of PJs, open them up at the seams and copy away.

Here are the finished products... The white PJ's got a little extra on the bottom with some machine embroidery in red since red, white, black combos are so popular this season.

Married since 4/2004 treehugger.gif mom to DSkid.gif6/2008, DD bf.gif 4/2010 and one on the way.  52 project challenge: 16/52

#312 of 595 Old 02-28-2012, 08:02 AM

Gardenbelle those are adorable!  Off to search my closet for things to upcycle...

#313 of 595 Old 02-28-2012, 08:26 AM

Wow!  I am super impressed!  Those are awesome!  I need some up cycling ideas for mens western shirts.  My DH was gifted about 9 million of them and he doesn't even like them- but I look at all that fabric and can't bear to give them away- some are really nice fabric!

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#314 of 595 Old 02-28-2012, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Oops, forgot about this thread. :p

7/52: Made some cute sailor shorts for my nephew's birthday. I really love Ottobre patterns! The details are so cute - little things like contrast-colour bar tacks, or tabs sticking out of side seams, or a pink undercollar on a white boy's shirt. And all that double-topstitching. :p It really makes things look snazzy, and un-homemade (in a good way).

8/52: Finished painting the living room... FINALLY!

I'm being naughty at the moment. I'm partway through making DD's curtains, but it turns out I hate it - I dislike working with huge, cumbersome lengths of fabric, and this is practically a sheer to boot - so I'm going off-list and making DS a new shirt. He needs one, he's been wearing a lot of button-up shirts recently, so I'm going to count it... but still. I still haven't finished DD's quilt, either, but I did venture out to a faraway fabric store the other day and buy some more pinks - hopefully enough to finish piecing the top. Finding the right shades of dusky antiquey pink has been surprisingly hard.

OK, why am I getting red squiggly spellcheck lines under every single word in this post?

Also, it's DD's birthday on March 17 (St Patrick's Day baby!). I got a bookshelf off Freecycle which is hiding in the garage; I'm going to paint it up for her room. And she saw a kid in a Snow White costume at the supermarket the other day and went into raptures, so I might look through my Ottobres and see if I can find a suitable pattern. I have one dress in mind that might work, but the bodice looks a little loose. Hmm, MIL made her a dress awhile back that was a good pattern... I wonder if it goes up to a size 4? I'll ask her.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#315 of 595 Old 02-28-2012, 06:07 PM

Quote:
 I need some up cycling ideas for mens western shirts.  My DH was gifted about 9 million of them and he doesn't even like them- but I look at all that fabric and can't bear to give them away- some are really nice fabric!

How about a cowboy quilt?

Mama to 3 boys 

#316 of 595 Old 02-28-2012, 08:33 PM

Ehhh most of the shirts are like that white with a metallic stripe...  Or similar.  they are cowboy in the cut and pearl snaps...  I might have to save some for me to wear.  Ugh.  Apparently DH thinks my clothes are somewhat inappropriate fitting right now.  Why can't they make maternity shirts long enough?  The stupid bella band doesn't stay down but it doesn't stay up either.  And when he described his view of what was showing....  well embarrassed was an understatement :)  I pulled out the longest shirt I own and it was still showing quite a bit....  Gonna have to fix this or make some more dresses or something...  Anyone with a great comfy maternity dress pattern- bonus for if it can double as a nursing dress after!

#317 of 595 Old 02-28-2012, 08:40 PM

Thanks ladies!  They are lots of fun to make because they come together fairly quickly.  I forgot to say, I also finished another light switch change which isn't close to finishing that project, but I'm closer to the finish line!  I'm now 10/52.

iowaorganic - I just saw in an apron book at the library that you can make cute aprons from mens' shirts.  I just Googled "Apron mens shirt" and a ton of tutorials came up. :)  I like the idea of a cowboy quilt too!  Or maybe a picnic quilt with an oil cloth backing. :)

Married since 4/2004 treehugger.gif mom to DSkid.gif6/2008, DD bf.gif 4/2010 and one on the way.  52 project challenge: 16/52

#318 of 595 Old 02-29-2012, 02:49 AM - Thread Starter

Katelove- Congrats!!

Iowa- I sometimes make shirts/dresses for my girls out of my husbands old button downs, they use them for play dresses and love the fact it was once Daddys.

I have done...nothing.. Im such a slacker :)

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#319 of 595 Old 02-29-2012, 03:22 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Thanks everyone orngbiggrin.gif  Okimom, I was reading back through the thread and realised I shamelessly stole your line about long-term projects. I knew I'd heard it somewhere before Sheepish.gif

Gardenbelle, I love those pj's. Especially the red ones with the flowers on the leg.

I haven't been doing much from my list lately. My brother is getting married on Saturday so I have been getting ready for visitors and making up kid's packs and writing speeches. Wish I'd put all those things on the list now. I could have crossed off heaps!

I have been going well on the quilt for my friend though. It is a sort-of eye-spy pattern I guess - pink and dark brown borders around pink and green patterned squares. I've sewed all the blocks together and have started on the rows. This is the current layout but I might have another play around with it once all the rows are sewn together.

IMG_2560.JPG

After the wedding I will give some thought to what I want to make for the new baby and update my list.

Enjoying seeing and reading about other people's projects.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#320 of 595 Old 02-29-2012, 05:36 AM

Finished

1. Embellished freebie lap top bag  & made coordinating mouse pad  for DD #1's hand-me down lap top-- cute & done

2. Knit heavy weight balaclava & lighter weight winter headband to coordinate with this year's snow suit (in circulation since October--better latethan never)--done

3/4. Knit up additional winter warm stuff coordinate better with other new in circulation snow gear (x2)

5. Sew bed side caddy thing for DD#2

6. Re-Upholster recliner chair (intimidating--must get my nerve up to properly tackle this job)--YAY!  Done and awesome!!! 

7. Embellish "boyish" fleece jacket to make it "girlish" (as requested by DD#1)

8. Spur-of-the-the moment felt mouse valentine candy box toy

9/10. Prairie bonnets and 'pockets' for Valentine's Day (x2)

11/12.  Throw pillows for living room to coordinate with newly redone chair

13. Made custom mattress for DD2's antique child's sleigh bed

In Progress

• New Knit hat for light weight jacket
  • Continue wool rag rug project
  • Continue yo-yo wall hanging

Planning

Quilted duvet cover

Quilted Pillow

Rag rug pillow

Caddy for bathroom stuff

Jewelry organizer

Glasses case

Spring tote bag

Kindle Case

Computer Case

Goals

Use materials from stash as much as possible

Plan ahead carefully for big projects (like chair upholstery project) requiring purchase of supplies--spent less than $70 to redo recliner chair with enough fabric left over for another project!!

Turn upstairs spare room (currently unfinished and used for storage) and turn it into a dedicated & ORGANIZED studio/work space 

Have a mix of projects going so there is always something to grab and work on during spare moments of kids practices/classes/activities

Running total: 13/52 (including some big ones!)

#321 of 595 Old 02-29-2012, 02:51 PM

http://randomcreative.hubpages.com/hub/Maternity-Clothing-Free-Tutorials-and-Patterns-Round-Up

Anyone up for a little challenge?  A little up cycling challenge?  This mama has 3 dresses that fit right now- and everyone is tired of seeing them :)  I am going to try some of these dress patterns- which are all free and look fairly simple too!  A couple of years ago we did double points for recycling to make a project- I think that would be good motivation!  If you are one of the mamas who isn't pregnant- do your own up cycle project and join me!  MadebyRae had a really cute and easy tutorial for a breezy summer top- google her tuts or sewmamasew for some other cute ones!  

eta- I would begrudge no one for buying a yard or so of jersey to make some of these things.....  Myself included!

#322 of 595 Old 02-29-2012, 08:43 PM

OH yeah; thanks for posting that link.  I just got DH to drag down my maternity box and realized that almost all my maternity clothes in the bigger sizes are for cooler weather.  It's already starting to warm up here and I am not due until July!  So it just dawned on me that I will have to sew some stuff pretty quickly if I want something to wear!  I saw several fun (and quick and easy) pieces on that link, and that tiered dress looks like a PERFECT place for me to upcycle and do a patchwork from the colorful Tees I have been saving and need to use to lighten my stash.  I'm excited now! lol  

EDIT to add:  I didn't realize I had missed quite a few posts on the previous page.  Iowaorganic, about a great maternity dress that will double for nursing-  I took a point already for my brown knit dress, which I made from McCall's 6078 (ViewB) top pattern, which I cut off empire-style and then attached to a longish skirt cut on the bias of the same brown jersey.  I made an elastic casing at the join.  I am thinking that top style will work perfectly for nursing, as it will be easy to pull over the top of, but then it has extra material that hangs as a facing, so could be used to cover up with.  I cut that dress out before I was pg or expecting to be, tho; it still fits now (and I have been wearing a complementary longer sleeved knit top underneath since it's still a little cool), but it won't fit for much longer.  I definitely plan to make it again in a larger size.

Mama to 3 boys 

#323 of 595 Old 02-29-2012, 08:54 PM

Yay!  At least one taker!  My big maternity stuff is all winter too...  And none of my maternity pants fit.  Somehow they are all way way too small.  Not sure what is up with that- so I am avoiding them and wearing some cast offs of my sister.

I went through all my DH's clothes tonight and found lots of diaper making tshirts- and some that will work for the dresses...  I am thinking the western shirts could be turned into bodices...  Or I might try taking off the pockets and seeing if that is super noticeable...  And then I talked to my mom and she told me my other sister cleaned out her closet and has stacks of tops for me to go through.... YAY!  Those will work great for this!  My Dh has a lot of old henley long sleeve shirts and I think the tiered dress would be great out of those...  I have delusions of making about 5-6 dresses from that link :)

So I made 3 diapers tonight of recycled stuff.  My serger was overwhelmed I think- so one is not so great- but one turned out awesome- and one DH said looks awful.  And rightly so...  I might just toss it.  Greasy tshirts- it looks bad.  And never thought about the repelling issues of using his old greasy tshirts- he is a farmer/tractor mechanic.  Everything is grease.  So anyway- I am going to take a point...  I think I am now at 26/52.  I will be slowing down when I start my quilts though!

#324 of 595 Old 02-29-2012, 09:34 PM

iowaorganic, I am definitely bookmarking that link for when I get pregnant again!  I love love love to upcycle so I am game on a challenge.  What are the parameters and let me know if you are starting another thread about it. :)

#325 of 595 Old 03-01-2012, 02:39 AM

I just stumbled across this! This is the perfect resolution for me!!!!!! I'll start it...tomorrow :)

...No but seriously, I really should. Keep it up ladies!

#326 of 595 Old 03-01-2012, 03:55 AM

that would be our first spin-off thread!  Or it could stay here- I thought that was always the rules, extra credit for re/ upcycling.

I am taking that other half point for finally restringing my tigerseye beads which I broke quite some time ago, and have been UFO cluttering the top of the dresser in my sewing room.  AND I did it in cleaning off and out that bureau, which I then moved OUT of my sewing room to the next room which had more space.  I also moved a BIG chest/ shelving toybox out of my room, too, into that other room (and moved the sewing library bookshelf from there back into the sewing room).  AND it definitely is a big project that I can't believe it but is done, that I totally cleared all the boxes and bins that were crammed under my sewing table so it's clear underneath it, for such much better feng shui in that formerly cramped sewing room!  And I moved the table so I can sit there comfortably with my sewing machine which works so much better being in the middle of the room for quilting.  It's AWESOME in there now, lol!  Oh, yeah, I also made some black (stone) earrings which I didn't have and needed....and the rest of those beads are now still on my table; I'm going to take another point if I just go in there and make them all up into several pairs of earrings and a bracelet and necklace for gifts instead of putting them away...b/c I just cleaned and organized the bead box, too, mostly, and it's pretty full...

Mama to 3 boys 

#327 of 595 Old 03-02-2012, 12:38 PM

I will try to post a pic- but I played with one of the western shirts today and one of those maternity tuts and came up with something cuter than what I started with...  So that is good- but not really anything I would love wearing all the time...  Still gives off an Annie Oakly vibe.  And I do wear cowboy boots all the time- but I am not a cowgirl ya know?

#328 of 595 Old 03-03-2012, 08:30 AM

I'm stuck.I need to make my mom a present but I'm not coming up with an idea that I'm loving.I have some time to do some "making" and I feel like I should spend it on making my mom's present but since I don't have an idea,I'm doing nothing.Uhg!

Maybe if I moved off the couch it would help?Ha!

#329 of 595 Old 03-03-2012, 10:55 AM

Well,I made a cat bed.Still no idea for my mom.

#330 of 595 Old 03-03-2012, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Katelove- steal away! I called DS "my little project" and its continued on this this kiddo.

I need to make some maternity clothing.. I have a few pieces but most of what I have has been through 3 pregnancies and isn't in the best of shape. Maybe when morning sickness passes I can start crafting again, right now between the virus that keeps circulating around my family and morning sickness I can't even keep up with the cleaning.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005

Tags
Arts And Crafts

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page