52 Project Challege, 2012 - Page 15 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#421 of 595 Old 04-20-2012, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)

I am coming out of the closet of done-nothing shame to take some points - 1 for Valentine's cards and 1 for a hand-sewn felt chocolate bunny for Little Man's Easter basket. While not technically on my original list, I have a lot of "gift for baby" items on there, so I'm counting it. So that puts me at 49/52 since I did the pour sprout mason jars a really long time ago too. I need to get back on track; the first quarter of the year is well over and I've hardly anything to show for it. If this were the 12 Project Challenge, I'd be on a roll! 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#422 of 595 Old 04-20-2012, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ok.  32/52 done.  

I also made a sundress for me- with clever use of snaps for the straps so it will work well as a nursing dress as well :)  Almost too easy since it was pre smocked fabric from JoAnns.  33/52

I have 9 more recycled diapers done for DS3.  I am going to take 2 points for those- 35/52.

I never took a point for the fancy nancy dress  36/52.  

In the works- diapers for the new kid- still working hard on those :)

Kimono tops for the new kid

casserole carrier for me and one for my friend

rag baby quilt for the new kid- unless I make it kind of big for like a throw blanket- which I am kind of leaning towards- it is red and black and white.

Baby shower/Baby gifts for my 3 pregnant cousins.  I decided to do a flannel receiving blanket, nursing cover, and a kimono top.

Speaking of kimono tops- ladies!  I need suggestions on how to bind them!  They are to be made of knit- serge the edge and go with that?  Bias tape?  What?  Ohhh and I have never had a summer baby- but super light knit/tissue knit should still be ok for long sleeves right?  I apparently have boxes of new baby woolens and heavy stuff- and no idea how to dress a summer baby :)

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#423 of 595 Old 04-20-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

I am coming out of the closet of done-nothing shame to take some points - 1 for Valentine's cards and 1 for a hand-sewn felt chocolate bunny for Little Man's Easter basket. While not technically on my original list, I have a lot of "gift for baby" items on there, so I'm counting it. So that puts me at 49/52 since I did the pour sprout mason jars a really long time ago too. I need to get back on track; the first quarter of the year is well over and I've hardly anything to show for it. If this were the 12 Project Challenge, I'd be on a roll! 

Kitchensqueen- you don't have to actually do 52 :)  You can do less or more :)

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#424 of 595 Old 04-20-2012, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaorganic View Post

Kitchensqueen- you don't have to actually do 52 :)  You can do less or more :)

Sure, but I'm such an OCD list maker that 52 is in my head now! :-)

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#425 of 595 Old 04-21-2012, 03:45 PM

Speaking of kimono tops- ladies!  I need suggestions on how to bind them!  They are to be made of knit- serge the edge and go with that?  Bias tape?  What? 

I don't know, but I would definitely try serging.  I am just loving the "swirls" variegated serger thread for decorative overedging, and I would definitely try using wooly nylon, too; that would probably be nicest for baby.  UGH woven bias tape on knits sounds like it would be a p.i.t.a. to me!

I'm working on baby's quilt now, it's from all blue (well, and blue/green) scraps.  The top is nearly complete. I want to do a queen sized scrap quilt in blues and blue/greens for my bed, too.  I am thinking about a scrap sampler with like a hexagon pieced panel and crazy patch panels and applique squares, too (and maybe some big plain squares for playing with quilting)... but that might be too weird, lol.

Mama to 3 boys 

#426 of 595 Old 04-24-2012, 06:50 AM

Iowaorganic, you said you do a lot of free motion quilting.  Where do you start, on a corner or edge, or in the middle?  I tried this on a small piece last year and had fun with it (nd it looked good), so I am thinking I want to quilt this baby quilt free motion (like a meandering stipple), but I am intimidated!  Do you baste with safety pins or give it a real basting before you start?  And if you baste with thread, do you remove the basting stitches as you come to them or at the end?  I have only ever used safety pins for basting because of not understanding how to get the basting stitches out properly!

Mama to 3 boys 

#427 of 595 Old 04-24-2012, 05:16 PM

Hey Folks,

Just to keep everyone in the loop, I am going into the hospital to be induced.  The baby has no heartbeat.  So crafting has stalled  a bit.  Although I do have a quilt in the works for this baby that will be given to the hospital to be given to another baby or child who could use it. 

I'll be back on track soon..I hope. 

#428 of 595 Old 04-24-2012, 08:22 PM

OH NO potatocraft! Oh, mama, I'm so sorry.mecry.gif

candle.gif for your sweet baby.  I'll be praying for you.

Mama to 3 boys 

#429 of 595 Old 04-25-2012, 03:26 AM - Thread Starter

I so sorry for your loss potato.. Take it easy hug.gif

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#430 of 595 Old 04-25-2012, 07:21 AM

I am so sorry for your loss potato craft.  What a lovely thing to do with the baby quilt though.

#431 of 595 Old 04-25-2012, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.shell View Post

Iowaorganic, you said you do a lot of free motion quilting.  Where do you start, on a corner or edge, or in the middle?  I tried this on a small piece last year and had fun with it (nd it looked good), so I am thinking I want to quilt this baby quilt free motion (like a meandering stipple), but I am intimidated!  Do you baste with safety pins or give it a real basting before you start?  And if you baste with thread, do you remove the basting stitches as you come to them or at the end?  I have only ever used safety pins for basting because of not understanding how to get the basting stitches out properly!

Shamefully I use spray baste.  I would try to do it in a very well ventilated place though when pg- cause it isn't pleasant- but it works awesome.  The stuff you get at the quilt shop is by far superior to the JoAnns or Hobby Lobby stuff.  A can will do about 3 queen size quilts- so it does last a long time :)  

I don't do a great job free motion- but I purposely don't prewash and I do use cotton thread- so when it is done and freshly washed they look amazing :)  They pucker up a little and it camouflages so  much!  The spray baste comes out nicely in that first wash too.

#432 of 595 Old 04-25-2012, 10:00 AM

Much love, potatocraft.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#433 of 595 Old 04-26-2012, 08:13 PM

I need to find the cord to my camera and take some pictures girls- cause I have been busy and things are turning out so darn cute :)  Pretty proud of my self actually!  I made the kimono tops- probably a size 3-6 (I have pretty big babies) and they are exactly what I wanted!  I did end up using bias tape and am glad I did- cause it really set them off nicely.  I made 4 between yesterday and today and am also ready to put snaps on some diapers for the new kid.  I have to take pics of those too- cause I haven't made things quite this cute before!  I will only update my points when I post the pics....  A little motivation.

I need some help in a different area though...  I really love woolies and all my little baby ones are Longies but made of either malabrigo or 3IG merino.  Well I can't really justify buying anymore wool right now what with all the money in the sewing machine and serger....  Should I just take a few pairs apart and make them into shorties?  They are all in perfect shape- no felting whatsoever....  And I have never done that before- is it super hard?  Of course perhaps I should finish my diapers and make sure they would actually fit over them since they aren't newborn....  Suggestions or motivation?

#434 of 595 Old 04-27-2012, 04:04 AM - Thread Starter

You could also get sweaters from a thrift store and take them apart if you don't want to waste your hard work. I have never done it but I read quite a few people on Ravelry do it. I just HATE frogging anything, seriously, so the thought of frogging a whole sweater makes me want to Bolt.gif..

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#435 of 595 Old 04-27-2012, 06:49 AM

Uhhh I am not taking apart a whole sweater....  That is insane.  I am going to look for some sale malabrigo maybe...  I might luck out and find some.   I do have a felted sweater I might try to make a cover out of- A whole bag of sweaters from the thrift store and I got one to felt...  Kind of over that I guess.  I will try taking apart one pair of longies and see how it goes- they are tiny and the yarn is sooo beautiful- so that is my first choice...

eta- well once I spent 20 minutes trying to find the end- I got it frogged to at least shortie status....  Haven't decided which to do yet.  put new ribbing in or remake it completely...  Hmmm.

#436 of 595 Old 04-27-2012, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Oh potatocraft, I'm so sorry. :(

I'm in a crafting slump recently. Anyone know how to inspire me (to finish stuff, NOT to start yet more projects!)?

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#437 of 595 Old 04-27-2012, 11:12 PM

Hey Ladies,

Thomas Peter was born sleeping on Wednesday and we are all working on healing.  I am going to finish free motion quilting his quilt this weekend.  Love to you all! 

#438 of 595 Old 04-28-2012, 05:07 AM

Potatocraft~  So, so sorry!  You and your family will be in my thoughts.  Hope your work on special projects brings peace to your heart.

With healing wishes~

Jennifer

#439 of 595 Old 04-28-2012, 10:13 AM

Potatocraft- I am wishing the best for you and your family

#440 of 595 Old 04-28-2012, 12:46 PM

Potatocraft - I am so sorry to hear this news. Your quilt will be a lovely tribute to your son. 

#441 of 595 Old 04-29-2012, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My condolences potatoecraft. Lovely name (ds shares it).

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#442 of 595 Old 04-30-2012, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPiper View Post

Got busy this weekend and completed:

2 appliqued mouse pads (fun with new sewing machine capabilities!)

1 awesome upcycled yoga skirt from old knit top

Baby gift done

11 items from mending pile back in action (I'll count as 1 project)

5 completed projects this weekend, plus substantial work on knitted sweater...  Should be done just in time for summer weather (hee hee!).

In Progress

• Continue wool rag rug project
  • Continue yo-yo wall hanging

Goals

Use materials from stash as much as possible

Plan ahead carefully for big projects (like chair upholstery project) requiring purchase of supplies--spent less than $70 to redo recliner chair with enough fabric left over for another project!!

Turn upstairs spare room (currently unfinished and used for storage) and turn it into a dedicated & ORGANIZED studio/work space 

Have a mix of projects going so there is always something to grab and work on during spare moments of kids practices/classes/activities

Running total: 21/52 (including some big ones!)

#443 of 595 Old 05-02-2012, 10:55 AM

Hi ladies!

I'm finally crawling out from under the rock I've been throwing up under the past month.  This first trimester has been my roughest yet but at 9 weeks, I'm starting to feel a little bit of energy coming back and I'm not running to the bathroom as much anymore.

I just read through the thread and caught up -

potatocraft - I am so sorry for your loss. :(

iowaorganic and JPiper - congrats on your new machines, how exciting!

JPiper, iowaorganic and msshell - pics please on your newest completions!

greenmamato2 - I am right there with you; it's so hard to do anything more than what is required from me as a mother right now.  I can't wait for the first trimester to pass and I can start enjoying the pregnancy and get back into crafting. :)

Smokering - congrats on becoming a chicken mama!  Aren't they so much fun to watch?  The green eggs are such a hit with the kids.  My daughter will only have hard boiled eggs that are green now. :p  Also, I don't know if you are still working on those floor cushions, but I stumbled upon a great stuffing material when I was making those recycled wool balls - old fabric scraps.  It's the perfect weight and uses up the odds and ends pieces that usually end up in the garbage.  I made my daughter an oversized indoor ball stuffed with this and it flattened out into a perfect floor cushion like it was made for that purpose.

AFM!  I'm jumping back into crafting with an apron project for my friend who loves to bake.  Her daughter just turned one and she loves to bake with her kids.  Super girly and ruffly and hopefully I'll get it done this weekend.  I also want to start a picnic tote to match my picnic blanket I made in March.  Also on the list is adding some upcycled siding to the bottom of my quail cage to hold a compost pile (the bottom is wire mesh so their poop would fall right onto the compost pile, how great would that be?).  The quail are just starting to lay and once I get over my food aversions, I can't wait to make some delicious dishes with the quail eggs.

The quail hutch was a lot of fun to design and build because it was such a manageable size. I used up some old, spider ridden scraps of wood in the garage to make the siding, used an old can of bathroom paint an old wood stain for the paint (had DH paint) and some extra hardware cloth left over from the chicken coop for the cage areas so it ended up being a relatively economical and eco-friendly project. The total was around $40, not bad! I think it looks nice with the chicken coop, don't you?

I'm 16/52 now and it looks like in order to get back on target for the year, I need to make that 18/52 (we are in the 18th week of the year, right?).  Looking forward to jumping back in and sorry I went MIA!

Married since 4/2004 treehugger.gif mom to DSkid.gif6/2008, DD bf.gif 4/2010 and one on the way.  52 project challenge: 16/52

#444 of 595 Old 05-02-2012, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

To bad I don't count baking as part of this challenge smile.gif I just managed to finish stocking the kitchen so the kids and I are currently making: 4 loaves of bread, 3 loaves of French bread, peanut butter choc chip muffins, monkey bread (its a type of breakfast bread) and they want to add in some cookies as well.. They are pretty excited we get to bake again!

Im still trying to get myself to make curtains. Im being a bit of a slow poke. Oh and Im still not unpacked hide.gif

#445 of 595 Old 05-05-2012, 09:53 AM

gardenbelle, your quail hutch (and backyard) is lovely.  WTG on making that beautiful house for $40!

I just made myself super happy by finishing a (huge) round wrap skirt I cut out last night.  It's a loud green and white geometric print 'value' fabric I bought a LONG time ago.  I saw it and thought, skirts can be loud.  I used green grosgrain ribbon for the waistband/ tie, so it was almost too quick of a project to count as a point...but i'm counting it. ;)  Oh, I love it, it's cute.  AND I found a light green sleeveless cowl top I made last year but was big in the back of my closet and YAY it covers my belly and matches great with this skirt and my fave green jewelry.  I was thinking the skirt will go nicely with a plain white tee, and it will, but this light green top and the skirt feel like a super cute outfit.  So like I said, I just made myself super happy!  +1 for me.  Now I gotta clean house, but I sure hope to sew more later.  I hope all you ladies are having a nice weekend.

Mama to 3 boys 

#446 of 595 Old 05-05-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.shell View Post

gardenbelle, your quail hutch (and backyard) is lovely.  WTG on making that beautiful house for $40!

I just made myself super happy by finishing a (huge) round wrap skirt I cut out last night.  It's a loud green and white geometric print 'value' fabric I bought a LONG time ago.  I saw it and thought, skirts can be loud.  I used green grosgrain ribbon for the waistband/ tie, so it was almost too quick of a project to count as a point...but i'm counting it. wink1.gif  Oh, I love it, it's cute.  AND I found a light green sleeveless cowl top I made last year but was big in the back of my closet and YAY it covers my belly and matches great with this skirt and my fave green jewelry.  I was thinking the skirt will go nicely with a plain white tee, and it will, but this light green top and the skirt feel like a super cute outfit.  So like I said, I just made myself super happy!  +1 for me.  Now I gotta clean house, but I sure hope to sew more later.  I hope all you ladies are having a nice weekend.

post a picture! I want to see! I finally cut out a new handbag for my sil- I am still trying to decide what I want to do for handles- but at least I have it cut out- I should have started sewing today- but haven't felt motivated.... maybe tomorrow I can get after it...

#447 of 595 Old 05-05-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
post a picture! I want to see!

We went out for mexican for Cinco de Mayo and I got salsa on my green shirt!  So here's a terrible picture of that skirt with a white tee.  Dh is playing XBox, so he won't want to take any more pix...I'll leave this here a little while so you can see it, then I am deleting this picture!

Mama to 3 boys 

#448 of 595 Old 05-05-2012, 09:04 PM

Ohh cute! I love it!  Did you serge the hem?  and does it have any seams?  I made myself a wrap skirt last summer and hate it- it was a mccalls pattern.  I have one from a mdc mama that has no seams or anything and it is actually awesome- I just don't really get how she made it......

oh- and for being due just after me- you look so tiny!  My belly is huge!  I wouldn't be able to keep a wrap skirt up now- but am thinking for after the baby.....

#449 of 595 Old 05-06-2012, 07:27 AM

Yes, I just serged the hem, cuz I'm lazy like that.  And no, no seams, it's cut out in one piece on the fold.  I got the pattern from that book "Chic and Simple Sewing" by Christine Haynes (but I cut this one out well past the lines for the largest size, lol).  There are like 25 patterns in that book for super easy garments that don't use any buttons or zippers.

Mama to 3 boys 

#450 of 595 Old 05-09-2012, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

14/52 - Finished DD's winter PJs. I started them last year and stopped when a) Gran bought her another pair of perfectly good winter PJs, and b) I realised that the so-called size 3 ran HUGE and wouldn't fit her for another year anyway.

Unfortunately they're not exactly a work of art. I used an old Butterick pattern for a fleece jacket and trousers, and it was really badly designed, even apart from the sizing issue. The collar is just one piece of fleece - no hem, no facing, no underside. So it has this weird raw edge that's visible when the collar flops upwards, which it does constantly because the single weight isn't sturdy enough to keep it in shape. And the sleeves are designed to roll up at the cuffs, but without any kind of nice seam-finishing to make it look decent. And it only has three buttons, where it could have used four or five. Lots of weird little issues like that. DD likes them just fine, but to me - now I've been spoiled on Ottobre patterns - they look kinda junky and homemade. Detailing is important, folks! But at least she has something to wear at night.

I also made DD a wheatie bag, but as that was a spur-of-the-moment decision I can't in good conscience count it towards my total. I will count the several garments I'm about to make DD and DS for winter, though. Suddenly realised they're low on warm clothes, so headed out to our fabric store today (having a huge sale, fortunately!) and bought stuff to make:

-A pink faux-fur winter coat for DD (classier than it sounds; Ottobre, and it's a nice delicate pink, not hot pink)

-A brown teddy-bear faux-fur jacket for DS

-Microsuede brown vintagey-looking trousers for DS

-A flannelette shirt for DS

-A lined flannelette pinafore for DD (I'm a bit unsure of my fabric choice here - it might be too floppy - but Spotlight's selection of washable wool blends is basically non-existant)

-A long-sleeved knit top for DD... if I can conquer my fear of sewing knits and find some decent ribbing. The only colours there were too hideous to contemplate.

And I have a denim pinafore handed down from my sister, which I'll cut up to make some more winter trousers for DS.

Whew!

Better start pre-washing the fabric, I guess!

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Tags
Arts And Crafts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page