52 Project Challege, 2012 - Page 18 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#511 of 595 Old 07-15-2012, 08:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Heh. One of my New Year's resolutions was to do one Pinterest-inspired project a week. I... haven't. I've done some, but most of the pins that make me go "ooh!" are very time-consuming, expensive or otherwise not doable at the rate of one a week. But I've made some sugar cookies, done ruffle balls for DD's room, tried a few recipes... things like that.

I've considered making matchy outfits for me and DD, but couldn't quite bring myself to do it. Dunno if that answers your question. :p If it makes you feel happy, go for it!

Eugh, I'm supposed to be writing an article, but I'm sleepy, bored, have a pile of new books I want to read, and want to get onto some craft projects. Frustrating! Luckily once the article's done (due today... ulp) I'm officially DONE with obligations. Well, I'm helping organise and cook for an engagement party, but that's not for a few weeks. I can do some stuff with poor neglected DD... plant out my pot-bound leek seedlings... maybe even go crazy and wash a spot of laundry! I'm looking forward to it, to say the least.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#512 of 595 Old 07-19-2012, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hubby watched the kids while I was at the test.. Thank goodness, they would have gone stir crazy. As I predicted my sugar levels were pretty low (to the point where the nurse kept asking me if I was OK and the midwife told me to go eat something before I did anything else after the test since they were worried Id pass out otherwise). I wish I could convince doctors my body just don't do well on that artificial drink. I eat a pretty natural diet (I'm not 100% but I try to do mostly natural) and I feel cruddy when I drink things high in artificial crap. I didn't do any knitting, instead I took in the things I ordered for the girls school year and started planning. Hopefully I get the plans done this week so I can just relax somewhat before the "school year" starts. My kids are extremely excited.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the star trek costume.. I wish I could convince my family to do Star Trek one Halloween. That would be fun orngbiggrin.gif Also, the cake turned out great as well..

My goals for this weekend is to:

finish the crafting things for school (not much to do, biggest thing is I want to make outfits for the girls.. partly because my daughter went through a HUGE growth spurt and partly because they need presentable clothing for church!)

finish the things I'm making for my middle daughter's birthday (not until November but I want them out of the way!)

That's about it..

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#513 of 595 Old 07-21-2012, 04:06 PM

27/52: Finished knitting DD's reversible cable scarf... or scarflet. It goes around her neck just once and buttons. Much quicker than trying to knit a two-metre-long one, especially at my rate of knitting!

#514 of 595 Old 07-22-2012, 08:08 PM

My Pinterest week was very successful :)  I started off making 5 batches of awesomely bright play doh.  It was all separate colors for ohhh about 10 minutes before DS1 mixed it all in one enormous gob of olive greenish brown.  So that was kind of pointless.  Then I did the matching skirts for DD1 and I- still need to make DD2 one to match- I just wanted to use FOE for the waist and had to go to town to get some- which I got yesterday.  I also made a yoga maxi skirt for myself- it seriously took longer to change the thread on my serger than it did to sew the 4 seams.  I was also too lazy to hem it- so I served the hem....  and too lazy to figure out how to do it nice- so it is actually a 3 thread serge- but it works :)  But my fav project of all is the denim skirt I refashioned out of a pair of jeans that I hated.  I ordered them from VS on super cheap clearance and the fit- but horribly.  So easy to do- I was amazed!  I made the skirt to go below my knees- which I think is my new ideal length- makes me look taller I think....  But my new machine handled the super thick cotton thread so easily- and my walking foot made it pleasurable!  I am loving this skirt!  

I am contemplating making another skirt- just love them in this unbearable heat we are having.  But perhaps an A-line with FOE....  Not sure if I would love it or not..  And this week I need to make 3 handbags.... one will be super quick- one will take quite awhile- and one is an experiment...  but 2 need to be done by Thursday and the other by Sat.  

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#515 of 595 Old 07-23-2012, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter

Iowa, I love making skirts from jeans.. I don't wear pants but I get them from the thrift store and convert them into skirts. Its awesome for days where I know Im going to end up a mess (like during science experiments for the kids or similar)..

I need to do the pinterest challenge, I got so many things pinned right now..Maybe Ill do it this week since I need to get some stuff for Christmas and the girls birthdays done.. Today I had already planned on doing some purse coloring books for the two oldest (they get stir crazy quickly when we have to wait) and maybe some alphabet magnets depending on how many I have left after finishing up the chore board for the girls.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#516 of 595 Old 07-23-2012, 11:57 AM

I also love making skirts from jeans, I wear them in the winter mostly because I can layer 2 skirts and wear a pair of tights or leggings and stay toasty warm all day. Now that I am pregnant none of my skirts are going to fit me though.

#517 of 595 Old 07-23-2012, 04:04 PM

I mostly make old jeans into smaller jeans for the kids. Never tried a skirt. Is foldover elastic easy to use without a serger?

Gahh, I need to finish DD's winter coat. The winter's nearly over! I hauled it out of the sewing cupboard and looked at it for a few days; but then last night I suddenly got inspired to work on DD's summer quilt, so back the coat went. It probably won't fit her next year so I DO need to get it done - the fabric wasn't so cheap I can write off the project. Besides it'll look cute. I just don't want to finish it. And I don't know why. Maybe it's possessed.

#518 of 595 Old 07-25-2012, 09:20 AM

Smokering- I sew on FOE with my regular machine- I don't see how it would even work with a serger. I just zigzag it on. Tonight we are doing newborn pics- so I made a fringle this morning for them.  It was sooo easy to do!  I can't believe how much they charge for them- I just cut yarn pieces in 25" lengths (my ruler is 25" long) and then sewed them onto a 3ft length of nylon strap with my walking foot.  I am undecided on its mop look.... but my photographer friend is excited about it- at least based on my phone pic.  I also made the baby's matching skirt- so that is fun too- all similar but different.  Not super matchy.... I will post a pic of both later.

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#519 of 595 Old 07-26-2012, 07:12 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

Is foldover elastic easy to use without a serger?

No! It's horrid and awful. I hate fold over elastic like the devil. It slips out of place and looks terrible, no matter how many pins or clips you use. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#520 of 595 Old 07-28-2012, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Ive never done fold over elastic honestly.. I really don't LIKE working work elastic so I stick to basic things.. Ill be doing some soon for the diapers Im making for DS/new baby so Ill get some experience with it soon. Fun times :)

The jean skirts I make are super easy.. I just cut up both sides of the inner legs on both sides of the seam, cut off the leg of another jean and cut up both sides of one of those jeans. For the front I sew straight up.. The back I piece together the leg to make the panel and give myself walking room then sew up. If Im REALLY lucky I can make it so I don't even have to do a hem. Last one I made took me about 20 minutes from start to finish :)

#521 of 595 Old 08-02-2012, 07:01 AM

Guys- FOE is not hard or scary :)  I made a ruffle tshirt ala Pinterest.  I was at the farm store and they has clearance carhartt and columbia tshirts for $2-3/each.  I did a pink one with tuxedo type ruffles and I am going to make a blue one with a shoulder corsage thing.  Very fun now that I have a great machine to sew knits with :)  I definitely needed some decent tshirts too and these are much nicer quality than the target ones I usually buy.

I have started thinking about Christmas... not so much for my kids but for others....  I am getting lots of good ideas on Pinterest.  Crazy things that I have never done- like cute bracelets and whatnot!  So much fun but it seems I am always missing some little supply that I am too busy to pick up.  Today though I am hoping to make a picture frame white board for my kitchen.  

I also need to work on those handbags.  My days have come to a screeching halt lately- but I can't complain about snuggling with a new baby on the couch....  

ETA- I forgot I really  need to patch some jeans too.  DH has some that are getting really bad and I have a pair that is questionable as well.  I would really like to just have my mom do it though.....  That would be pathetic though wouldn't it?

#522 of 595 Old 08-03-2012, 10:51 PM

i'm glad ya'll are busy creating!  

smokering, that baby uniform looks regulation, wow, you did a great job on that! And I'm really in awe of your cake dec skills, as I can't do that at all.  That's the sweetest, prettiest wedding cake I have seen!  

I haven't been making much of anything but milk. ;)  I did get the sewing room cleaned and am ready for a sewing day as soon as the kids will let me have one. I guess I can take a point because when I cleaned up I made up a lightweight (but sturdy) knit sling that's now my favorite.  I also really like using that mai tai I made already, so I will like to make another of these soon.

Here's a picture of my baby, though.  He's 3 weeks today; he was born on friday the 13th.

I really really like him and just hanging out with him is much more fun than sewing, so I'm not worried about being behind on my points, lol ;)

Mama to 3 boys 

#523 of 595 Old 08-05-2012, 07:04 AM

Ohhh MsShell- he is super cute!  Making milk is popular here too :)  I have spent a bajillion hours sitting on the couch nursing and surfing Pinterest for more craft ideas....  I haven't tried knitting while nursing yet with my little one- I might have to try it soon...  I have a couple knitting projects I want to make for this fall.

#524 of 595 Old 08-06-2012, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Ms Shell, hes a cutie! I can't concentrate on crafting all that well with a newborn around either. Id rather cuddle than craft orngbiggrin.gif

Not much getting done over here.. I did get 3 half aprons made for the children's stockings. They have been asking for aprons to wear while they clean and my youngest doesn't have an apron at all. Hopefully this helps my son stop trying to steal his sisters aprons all the time!
I did purchase 2 expected items (so no point deductions there) and 1 unexpected one (oops! demerit for me!). The two expected ones was fabric for the baby's blessing gown and fabric to replace a dress DD1 grew out of.. The unexpected one was fabric for a skirt for DD2. Im going to try to get these done this week so at least the fabric doesn't sit around to long!

#525 of 595 Old 08-07-2012, 04:15 PM

Ms. Shell - he's simply divine!  My husband is a Friday the 13th kid, too.  He's a good guy so it must be the perfect birthday!  Congratulations. :)

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#526 of 595 Old 08-07-2012, 10:55 PM

Quote:
I really really like him

lol.gif That made me happy. Aren't newborns great? I love 'em. So squashy and moist and pink (well, mine are!) and nekkid and drapey and suckly and forest-creaturey.

I've done three couch cushions recently, and am in the middle of a fourth - on hold while I make DD a party dress. I'm not sure when I'll decide I've done enough cushions to take a point - one could keep making them indefinitely. They're quite fun. Anyway, other than that I don't have anything to tick off my list. Grandma's coming to visit, so I'm hoping the whip the house and garden into semi-decent condition before she gets here. Hence the couch cushions, and a lot of weeding. (Who am I kidding? It's late winter, the garden will look atrocious no matter what I do - but at least I can remove some of the tonnage of weeds covering the flower bed.)

#527 of 595 Old 08-12-2012, 04:31 PM

I made two Pinterest projects- well it was 2 of the same one.  Dee- Construction's blazer from a sweatshirt.  One is for me and the other is for either my MIL or my sister.  I am thinking mIL though....  they were super easy and fun.  I did avoid the fabric store last week.  I should get points for avoiding purchasing more stuff.  Ohhh I also made 2 cute pairs of baby legs for DD2.  Out of clearance socks- so that was good too!

#528 of 595 Old 08-13-2012, 07:49 PM

K, I'm taking two more points.

28/52: Made a dress for DD to wear to a birthday party.

29/52: Made an apron for the birthday girl.

Will add photos when I can. Currently trying to finish DD's curtain... I'm not sure how well it's going to turn out.

ETA: Oh yeah, forgot!

30/52: Engagement party cake I made for friends

31/52: Tea-dyed ruffle balls for engagement party

#529 of 595 Old 08-14-2012, 09:28 AM

Geeky cross stitch!

http://thebestnest.org/wp-content/gallery/crafts/linkcrossstitch.jpg

And a recycled chair...

http://thebestnest.org/wp-content/gallery/crafts/chairbeforeafter.jpg

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

#530 of 595 Old 08-19-2012, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Sheezez, everytime I come back there are more cute babies!  Congrats to the babies!!

February

1. Legwarmer (1)

2. Blue/Brown/Cream Blanket

3. Blue/green/yellow Blanket (small)

March

4. Legwarmer (match to #1)

5. Pink camo blanket

July

6. Green Blanket (for my new place)

August

7. Starting DS legwarmer #1 FINSIHED

8. DS legwarmer #2 (snow/winter colors)

9. DS halloween leg warmer #1

For those who are wondering, this 'move' is turning into a long vacation.  I did find employment but I can't tolerate living with my mother. And I remember why I live 2k miles away from them.  No  career is worth this chaos and crazy.  Im trying to head back west this week.  We did have many fun experiences this summer as kiddo and mom.

I can't craft because my mother wont 'allow' it and all my stuff is in the garage in boxes.  That is the first box I'm sending back.  I think you ladies understand how important a few things are... Craft supplies, a KA mixer, and kids lego's and books.  All held captive in the garage since May.  its time to go 'home'.

The urgre to work on holiday themed items is overwhelming right now!

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#531 of 595 Old 08-19-2012, 05:51 PM

Zebra - I can't even imagine.  Seriously!  And I like my parents, but the thought of living with them would send me over the edge...

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#532 of 595 Old 09-09-2012, 02:06 PM

This board has been kind of dead for awhile- time to post my newest projects I guess!

This is my new purse I just finished up. It is black and silver cowhide with a little pewter pigskin trim  finished with various silver and crystal rivets.  It is lined with Zebra print satin.  There are pockets inside and a hidden concealed pocket.  I love love love it!

This is a silver and black cowhide bag.  The leather is amazingly soft.  It also has a conceal pocket on the backside.  The shoulder strap can be used for a hobo carry or cross body.  This is by far the nicest handbag I have made to date and I gave it to one of my very good friends :)

I have started a snake skin bag- but I am trying to decide where I want to go with it....  I also busted out my serger and made some baby legs for DD2 and some knit pants for her as well.  I would like to make her some more knit kimono tops for fall as well.  I also started knitting a little alpaca cardi for DD2 for fall and a cardi/vest for myself.  I do have a couple of orders for concealment handbags that I should get working on as well :)

#533 of 595 Old 09-09-2012, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

I haven't been doing much unfortunately.. Ive been so booked trying to transition into doing a set amount of school work with the kids its been distracting. I have to have to get things done in the next few weeks though since I still don't have the baby's coming home outfit or blessing outfit done.

#534 of 595 Old 09-09-2012, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

iowa- I love those purses!

#535 of 595 Old 09-09-2012, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Oh I do have finish projects to report orngbiggrin.gif
I finished a dress for DD1 and a skirt for DD2 for school pictures.. Now just to take the pictures!
I did another skirt for DD1 in the same fabric I did her birthday dress and a purple skirt for DD2.. I also did a wrap dress for the baby to match the girls school dresses
smile.gif

#536 of 595 Old 09-09-2012, 08:02 PM

Iowa, that purse is awesome!

I haven't forgotten about this thread, I've just been stuck in a crafting rut. It's a combination of gardening (it's early spring here, so getting things into the ground is a priority!) and general bleh-ness. I keep getting stuff out of the sewing cupboard, staring at it blankly for a day or two and then putting it back.

I did help DD make her first-ever sewing project, though! A little, simple, elastic-in-casing-waistbandy skirt for her baby doll. She was thrilled and keeps asking me ten times a day when she can sew next. :)

And I sewed, like, one seam on DS' shirt. I really need to finish that - I just need to do the neckline band thing, hem it and do the buttons and buttonholes. But as I say... bleh.

Someone nag me!

#537 of 595 Old 09-10-2012, 04:50 AM - Thread Starter

Smoking, how old is your daughter? My 5yo wants to learn to sew soooo bad, Im thinking of pulling down the small child machine I got a while ago and helping her sew something. She wants to make a small stuffed animal for the baby.

#538 of 595 Old 09-10-2012, 12:13 PM

Wow, the leather purses look great iowaorganic!  I haven't sewn on leather before and it seems daunting, but you certainly make it look easy; those purses look very professionally made.  That is awesome that you are able to manage so many little kids AND manage to sew beautiful things, too!

And Zebra, WHoa!  Your mama sounds mean!  lol  I am so glad you guys are moving out!

Smokering, I won't nag you, because I think gardening should be the priority in Spring!

I haven't made anything.  I have a quilt top on my table waiting for me to piece a backing and make the quilt sandwich, but it has been sitting there for like 2 weeks now.  I am feeling lazy and getting fat and have no motivation to sew right now.  I started thinking about the Christmas (gifts) sewing last night and ended up thinking about what to buy for people instead!  Hopefully, my mind will change about that; I usually make ALL of my Christmas gifts, except for some for my kids.  As soon as I can work up some motivation, I am going to clean out a closet, not go in the sewing room, so I don't expect to claim any points soon.

Mama to 3 boys 

#539 of 595 Old 09-10-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Smoking, how old is your daughter? My 5yo wants to learn to sew soooo bad, Im thinking of pulling down the small child machine I got a while ago and helping her sew something. She wants to make a small stuffed animal for the baby.

She's four and a half. When I told her we were going to sew something she got all excited and wanted to make her dolly a Snow White dress, and a dress for herself, and a top, and and and! I had to bargain her down to the simple skirt. :p It was a spur-of-the-moment thing; next time I'll think harder about an appropriate easy project!

Basically, we put the sewing machine pedal on her little stool, and she sat in front of me on  the chair. I guided the fabric while she pressed the pedal - I would have let her guide the fabric, but she didn't seem interested in it. And she helped with the ironing - I lightly pressed the fold and then she went over it. She also manned the "reverse" button on the machine, although not with great success. :p

Mum suggested she might be old enough to do "cross-stitch" on canvas with wool and a mattress needle; I might look into that. She loves crafts.

#540 of 595 Old 09-11-2012, 03:58 AM - Thread Starter

Smoking I got my oldest a needlepoint kit off of amazon. She loves it so much she asked to get 2 more kids to make for her grandma and great grandma for Christmas. I want to try latch hook with her next :) I remember my mom teaching me to do latch hook when i was a bit older than her.

I need to pull down my machines. She loves to guide the fabric and knows how to thread a machine/set it up.. I just have this fear she will sew her fingers into the fabric if Im not guiding the fabric with her and she wants to do it "all by myself mommy".. Need to learn to let go a little redface.gif Shes my oldest but she is still my baby.

Tags
Arts And Crafts

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page