52 Project Challege, 2012 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-06-2012, 08:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I love everyone's lists and then I look at the links and say "ooh that looks like a neat project to try". I don't know if I can focus on my own projects. lol.gif

Progress so far...

Giant stack of recipes sorted through and kept only the ones that I am actually likely to make. Those have been pasted in recipe book and now I have to go through my cookbooks to copy the few recipes I have tabbed in them. I will be able to complete my personal recipe book and declutter a few cookbooks that I don't really need. Score!

wash.gifMommy to my little Nugget bouncy.gifribboncesarean.gif 

144/2014 items decluttered   2/52 projects completed

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2012, 08:49 AM

WTG frugalgranolamom; that's a good one, the kind of thing i put off for years!  lol

I am thinking i really do need a list.  Because I realized I have more UFO's going than I thought, and also because I have been thinking up a lot of new projects in my head and I would like to put them down so they will get done.

-list moved downthread-

I hope everyone has a productive and happy weekend!

Mama to 3 boys 

Old 01-06-2012, 08:55 AM

That's really beautiful ms.shell! You will have to post a pic when the quilt is complete.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
I kind of feel the same way, but what really gets me about hand sewing is the fact that I feel that my stitches aren't going to hold as well as the machine's will. So I often just wait for the machine.

Yeah; I'm not sure I'd attempt structural seams.

Did some more piecing for DD's quilt last night. I've spent the last week in a state of frustration, wanting to sew but having to do other, less exciting things, like look after the children. :p But I counted this morning, and I have 22 nine-patches done... which is great, only I actually only need 21. :p So I added an extra row down the side, making the quilt square (7 by 7 blocks, instead of 7 by 6), and I'll make a few more. Then I need to cut out the big squares to go between the nine-patches, and figure out what I'm doing around the edges. I like the idea of prairie points, but they use up a ridiculous quantity of fabric.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Old 01-06-2012, 04:16 PM

I got a few things done last night. I serged up a stack of UFO bibs and a stack of UFO wipes. Didn't take long, and there are about 50 items, so it's just one 'project' I think!

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

Old 01-06-2012, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Zebra- good for you for getting started so quickly!

Ms. Shell- love the quilt! Its going to be really pretty when its all done!

Im enjoying everyone's lists but its not helping me narrow down what I want to do this year! I keep thinking of other things I could do instead of doing the projects I need to get done. I started packing today so thats something.. and I spent several hours at the mechanics trying to figure out why my van's battery keeps dying. Bought a new battery so hopefully that fixes the problem. I really don't like dealing with mechanical problems. I got the fabric Ive been meaning to get so I can finish the project bags Ive been wanting to make. I have a ton of projects to do this weekend so enough typing, Im going to start working.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
Old 01-06-2012, 07:35 PM

Well, I finished 2 more project this week.  I made 2 of the Vinyl bags in this http://www.makeit-loveit.com/2011/12/clear-toy-storage-bags-with-drawstring-closure.html Tutorial.  I want to make a bunch more and have cut out 3 more to put together.  I think they will be great for the all the kids toys.  Especially all of the wooden Melissa and Doug food they got for Christmas this past year. 

So I am up to 3 points now. 

Old 01-06-2012, 08:19 PM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

I finished one - the pour spout mason jars! It was so easy - you just take the top of an empty salt container, trace it with a canning jar lid and cut it out. Then you put it on a canning jar underneath a ring instead of using the lid. I've got mine on a jar of bulk instant yeast. Now I can easily pour what I need when I bake bread. And I just emptied another salt container, so I'm going to make another for something - maybe one for a pint jar for cinnamon sugar. 

51/52

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

Old 01-06-2012, 10:15 PM

ok, well mercury trine saturn and neptune tonight and tomorrow means it's a good time for planning, so I wanted to work on my list.  I couldn't fix my sewing machine myself greensad.gif, so I took it down tonight and set up this old Kenmore a relative passed to me at a holiday gathering.  I can't take my sweetie in for repair right now, either.  Anyway, the insides of my diaper bag are underway, but I'm done for tonight.

I wanted to mention that I plan to take half points this year for small projects.  I tend to do a lot of these quick, easy, satisfying projects.  Last year I tried to lump them together when claiming points, but I think this is what I am going to do instead.  Something like say a pair of simple toddler pillowcases, or baby or kid elastic waist shorts....super simple stuff I start and finish in one sitting, I'll be taking half points for these.  

ok, i'm moving my list down to here for editing:

(EDITING: deleting projects completed, adding new ones)

1. Finish cloth dolly 

2. fun with corduroy/patchwork: 2 projects, a skirt and patchworked yardage.  also, start playing with quilt blocks from these many yards of cord

3. finish rainbow quilt

4. Clean out all garden beds (we JUST had our First Freeze)/ Plant some lettuces and snow peas/ Get ready for

Spring

----the rest of these are not in order.  i think i will keep the 5 most pressing up top; as I complete these, I will put what's below into new order---

6. Eye spy quilt (by April) for ds bday 

7 paint bathroom

8 finish bathroom rug that's been on the longest loom for going on a couple years now!

9 maternity shorts/ capris

10 make a hanging pocket organizer to match my room for hanging from crib end

11 crib skirt and maybe a crib quilt to match my bed and bedroom

12 maybe a matching hanging diaper stacker, too

13 quilt twin sized white/pastels quilt top (that i made years ago)

14 gender neutral baby sling for me

15 get back to blogging/ write 3 or 5 posts

16 organize photos/ finish scrapbook pages I've already started

17 blues strip patched baby quilt (blocks are UFO, need more tho)

18 baby socks/ booties on the sock loom

19 boppy cover

20 make elasticized cover for the baby swing seat

21. quilt queen size denim/flannel quilt top and add casing for closet curtain in ds' room

22. nursing nightgowns

that's more than enough for now!  this list is of course a WIP.

Mama to 3 boys 

Old 01-07-2012, 12:24 PM

Lots of new mommas!  I think this is my 3rd year in this challenge and you would think I would be through my stash- but apparently not- because here I am again :)  Well here is a start of my madness.

1.  Make flannel crib sheets- 2 from a double bed top sheet- DONE!

2.  knit a ribbon yarn scarf

3.  knit a ribbon yarn scarf

4.  knit a ribbon yarn scarf  ( I really hate these- but my sister keeps selling them for me- so I guess I have to do it...)

5.  Finish my lace shawl that I have been working on for over 2 years now!!!  It will be done.

6.  snakeskin purse for me.

7.  wool mittens for gpa

8.  wool sweater purse (I see it in my head)

9.  purse for my SIL

10.  Cat in the Hat baby quilt for the new kid

11.  Owl baby quilt for the new kid if she is a she

12.  fox coat for DS

13.  bear coat for DD

14.  paint 2 sides of my house

15.  plant fruit trees

16.  plant raspberries and blackberries

17.  reseed my cow yard

18.  FInish my thrummed mittens

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

Old 01-07-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

I finished one - the pour spout mason jars! It was so easy - you just take the top of an empty salt container, trace it with a canning jar lid and cut it out. Then you put it on a canning jar underneath a ring instead of using the lid. I've got mine on a jar of bulk instant yeast. Now I can easily pour what I need when I bake bread. And I just emptied another salt container, so I'm going to make another for something - maybe one for a pint jar for cinnamon sugar. 

51/52

You mean you use the top of the salt container?  It's seriously that easy?!  Sounds like something I need to do.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
Old 01-07-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
I finished one - the pour spout mason jars! It was so easy - you just take the top of an empty salt container, trace it with a canning jar lid and cut it out. 

that is an awesome easy idea.  I will use this for bath salt for sure, and I could think of a lot of things this would be nice for in the kitchen.  Too bad it takes so long to use up those containers of salt!  My grocery store was blowing out RIT dye for a quarter or something, so I have a ton of colors.  Maybe I should think about dying a bunch of stuff to use up a lot of salt to get a couple of these tops.  Hmm, what's salt dough, and does that use a lot of salt?  off to google, lol....

Mama to 3 boys 

Old 01-07-2012, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

wave.gifHi Iowa! Welcome back!

ms.shell- I made imprints of my two oldest children's hands when they were almost 2 and 1 month for Christmas ornaments. Making the dough for that took up a LOT of salt. I think I probably used close to half a big container doing those. Its the only time Ive ran out of salt, usually I replace it when it creeps me out because its been in the cupboard to long bag.gif

So I spent the morning cutting out sewing projects. Im going to go sew some and see what I can get done. I really need to be working on the girls dresses for Wednesday (pink cammie dresses) but I can't motivate myself to finish cutting those out. Maybe I should have done those first shy.gif

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
Old 01-07-2012, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanQueen99 View Post

You mean you use the top of the salt container?  It's seriously that easy?!  Sounds like something I need to do.

Yep, it's that easy! You should do it - I did make the second one today with the other container I had around too. I'm excited about having a pretty jar for cinnamon sugar for the breakfast table. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.shell View Post

that is an awesome easy idea.  I will use this for bath salt for sure, and I could think of a lot of things this would be nice for in the kitchen.  Too bad it takes so long to use up those containers of salt!  My grocery store was blowing out RIT dye for a quarter or something, so I have a ton of colors.  Maybe I should think about dying a bunch of stuff to use up a lot of salt to get a couple of these tops.  Hmm, what's salt dough, and does that use a lot of salt?  off to google, lol....

I cannot take credit - I saw it on Pinterest. I think Pinterest is the reason I had to join this challenge, actually. I'm going to ask my friends to save theirs - there are a million uses for pour spout jars! 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

Old 01-07-2012, 04:41 PM

I would like to join if it's not too late.

I am going to be student teaching this semester (so obviously lots of time, yea right) however my placement includes an hour commute each way (on the subway) that I'm to use for excessive knitting.

And my mil gave me a sewing machine so now I have that.

And my mother just gave me 5 HUGE bags of yarn she was destashing.

I guess I need a list.

First will be finishing the baby sweater for my housemates' baby.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Its never to late to join! The more the merrier.. First year I did this I joined in either September or October.

Old 01-07-2012, 05:59 PM

Made some mustaches(my daughter's idea)for a birthday present!

Old 01-07-2012, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

rere - that photo is hilarious!

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

Old 01-07-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post

rere - that photo is hilarious!

Ha!Yeah,she's a clown.

Got some lunch supplies made!

Old 01-07-2012, 10:07 PM

Love the sandwich wraps! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rere View Post

Ha!Yeah,she's a clown.

Got some lunch supplies made!

I just finished my first project of the year, book displays.  Here are some pics:

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj130/Marycherrington/52%20project%20challenge/df6e4e4a.jpg

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj130/Marycherrington/52%20project%20challenge/ad0bc65e.jpg

Married since 4/2004 treehugger.gif mom to DSkid.gif6/2008, DD bf.gif 4/2010 and one on the way.  52 project challenge: 16/52

Old 01-07-2012, 10:18 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Gardenbelle- DS had the gross-ology books when he was 7 or so.  The display came to our Science center and was a HUGE hit for several months.  We were all grossed out for awhile, the entire line of 'grossness' was owned here.    BTW I love the gutter shelves.

I hit the teachers sale at Joann's today and hopefully got the rest of my yarn for BIL's blanket.  I also am 'swapping' this year so I need to work up a 'pink' scarf rather quickly.  I have tons of yarn and hopefully swapping will get my butt moving on some of this stuff.   I'm going to attempt the 'v' stitch this weekend.  GO ME!

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Old 01-08-2012, 02:34 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenbelle View Post

Love the sandwich wraps! 

I just finished my first project of the year, book displays.  Here are some pics:

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj130/Marycherrington/52%20project%20challenge/df6e4e4a.jpg

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj130/Marycherrington/52%20project%20challenge/ad0bc65e.jpg

They look great!

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

Old 01-08-2012, 04:37 AM

hi all, I'd like to join as well. You all have some seriously ambitious lists! I just got a sewing machine for my birthday this past September, and I have slowly starting to get into sewing. In 2012 I'd also like to learn to knit.

definitely not aiming at 52 projects, but might add projects during the year. happy crafting!

1. coffee cozy

2. pretend food for friends' son (by June)

3. apron

4. passport cover

5. pillow cases (lots of them)

6. make-up bag

7. wall art for the hallway

8. wall art in office

9. one knitted item

10. my everest: the colette pattern macaron dress

hh2.gif

Old 01-08-2012, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenbelle View Post

Love the sandwich wraps! 

Thanks!

And nice shelves!They are very similar to what I use to store my Pez collection but I didn't make mine.Nice work.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:59 AM

Ok,I don't have to be anywhere until 3:30.I really shoul tackle something from my list.Really I should.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

gardenbelle - shelves look awesome - now I'm totally trying to figure out where we would have space for some...

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

Old 01-08-2012, 09:57 AM

Ooo hi!

Can I join?

I'm fairly new to being a serious crocheter, but I've always been a little crafty and really enjoy making things.

Here's my little list for now:

1. Finish Babette Blanket
  2. Finish Wool Eater Blanket
  3. Crochet a piece of clothing
  4. Crochet rainbow tam
  5. Put eyes on Ayesha the Alligator
  6. paint cubby hole shelf and possibly paper the backs of the cubbies
  7. make a bed skirt (this one will be tricky, I have a tall metal style bedframe which requires no box spring. great for storage but I'm not sure how to go about attaching a bedskirt)
  8. reupholster something, anything!
  9. make a Temair Throw
  10. make a Blue Mandala Throw
  11. make another Babette, with better color planning this time!
  12. learn to knit
  13. rearrange furniture so that I can install bike lift
  14. upholster the IKEA underbed storage unit that currently serves as our coffee table.
  15. either afix the headboard to the wall or give it legs.
  16. finish cloud/raindrops wood cut out project with poly and attach wall mounts. hang.
  17. fix hula hoops
  18. hem the curtains i have hanging in all the doorways of my studio apartment. (and really hem them, not staple them to themselves in a fit of annoyance. :P)
  19. repaint and refinish my wardrobe. (the shade of purple i picked when i first bought it was way too light, and i used a matte finish which equals lots of visible fingerprints)
  20. Paint the raw wood sidetable we got from IKEA
  21. finish my bright yellow bellbottoms (that i started 4+ years ago which there's no way I could fit into now) and give them to my sister as a present.
  22. finish replacing the black buttons on my army surplus gas mask bag with rainbow buttons

I'm sure there's more but that's what I can think of off the top of my head.

Me (24)photosmile2.gif & Him (25)tiphat.gif  

trying to makebabe.gifsince March '11

Old 01-08-2012, 11:56 AM

Fnord,Yes!Join us and post pics so I can drool over yarn arts.

I turned a t-shirt into a cardigan.I have been wanting to do this with this T for a LONG time!

Old 01-08-2012, 12:03 PM

Ok I finished my first project!!!  A baby sweater for my housemates' baby.  DP made the wooden buttons (does that count as 2 projects then????)  The baby in the pattern picture is my ds (now he's 4.5 years old!!!)

here's the sweater

baby sweater with moss stich edges

close up on the buttons

homemade wooden buttons

Old 01-08-2012, 12:09 PM

Recipe book officially complete and 4 cookbooks donated in the process. Woohoo!

Tags
Arts And Crafts
User Tag List