52 Project Challege, 2012 - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 595 Old 01-08-2012, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thanks ladies! 

Lifeguard - behind the door is a perfect spot, they fit perfectly and it's a great way to use that unused space! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post

gardenbelle - shelves look awesome - now I'm totally trying to figure out where we would have space for some...

kneegrabber - the sweater is so beautiful, nice job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone_kneegrabber View Post

Ok I finished my first project!!!  A baby sweater for my housemates' baby.  DP made the wooden buttons (does that count as 2 projects then????)  The baby in the pattern picture is my ds (now he's 4.5 years old!!!)

here's the sweater

baby sweater with moss stich edges

close up on the buttons

homemade wooden buttons

Married since 4/2004 treehugger.gif mom to DSkid.gif6/2008, DD bf.gif 4/2010 and one on the way.  52 project challenge: 16/52

#92 of 595 Old 01-08-2012, 01:55 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnord View Post

• make a bed skirt (this one will be tricky, I have a tall metal style bedframe which requires no box spring. great for storage but I'm not sure how to go about attaching a bedskirt)

How about velcro?

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#93 of 595 Old 01-08-2012, 02:17 PM

WOW, way to make progress, ladies!

I have the bookshelves up in another window for my dh to come in here and look at; those would be helpful here.  

And I LOVELOVE the baby sweater- that's too cool that it is complete with handmade buttons, too!

Okay, yay, I finally get to take a point.  I just finished my brown dress that I started about 6 months ago!  I thought I would leave it 2 pc, but the blouse definitely wouldn't be big enough for maternity.  So I went with the original plan and made it an empire dress.  I wound up using elastic in a casing at the joining, thinking that might help it be more wearable for maternity and after.  It has a loose cowl top, so I am thinking it might be wearable during nursing.

I had to do that first, because the machine I want to sew on had the walking foot already installed.  Now I'm about to take it off and finish that diaper bag, hopefully (cross fingers) today.

Mama to 3 boys 

#94 of 595 Old 01-08-2012, 02:49 PM

I am a *brand new* sewer and couldn't get my curtains (sheers) to hem.  So I just cut off the bottoms and hung them.  They look good enough for me!  Two points.

And I WILL string my birth bead necklace tonight so I'm almost up to three.

Go me!

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#95 of 595 Old 01-08-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

How about velcro?

I hadn't thought of that! I probably could afix adhesive backed Velcro all the way around the sides of the metal frame and then attach the other side of the velcro the the top of some nice fabric.  Or maybe the velcro would stick okay to the sides of the mattress... I wonder...

I would like it to be a little ruffly, but I haven't touched my sewing machine in 2+ years so I'll have to relearn everything. I'll probably just start out with a simple colorful pattern and see how that works out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone_kneegrabber View Post

Ok I finished my first project!!!  A baby sweater for my housemates' baby.  DP made the wooden buttons (does that count as 2 projects then????)  The baby in the pattern picture is my ds (now he's 4.5 years old!!!)

here's the sweater

close up on the buttons

That's so cute! That looks like really nice colorway that you used? I'm curious which picture is more accurate, the top one looks more blue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanQueen99 View Post

I am a *brand new* sewer and couldn't get my curtains (sheers) to hem.  So I just cut off the bottoms and hung them.  They look good enough for me!  Two points.

And I WILL string my birth bead necklace tonight so I'm almost up to three.

Go me!

Good job! That reminds me, you've just added to my list! I forgot I definitely need to get on hemming all the curtains in my house. I used a mini stapler to stop them dragging on the floor and they look ridiculous. :P

Me (24)photosmile2.gif & Him (25)tiphat.gif  

trying to makebabe.gifsince March '11

#96 of 595 Old 01-08-2012, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Fnord- I LOVE that 'wool easter blanket' pattern.   ho-hummmm  more stitches to learn..... more things to create... the list gets longer....

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#97 of 595 Old 01-08-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:

I hadn't thought of that! I probably could afix adhesive backed Velcro all the way around the sides of the metal frame and then attach the other side of the velcro the the top of some nice fabric.  Or maybe the velcro would stick okay to the sides of the mattress... I wonder...

Probably attaching it to the metal frame would work out the best. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#98 of 595 Old 01-08-2012, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

knee_grabber - the sweater is beautiful - looooove the buttons.

rere - seriously, that was a t-shirt? Great work!

afm - still trying to recover from sickness here & get the house clean, then I should have time for some projects. Can I count replacing the seal in my toilet?

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#99 of 595 Old 01-08-2012, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Im loving all the finished projects!! Its nice to see everyone has been busy.

As for me, Ive done a messenger bag and 2 project bags. Ive also worked a bit on the sweater. I have to switch gears and get everything ready for my husband to get home on leave.. I can't believe we finally get to see him again after not seeing him since May.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#100 of 595 Old 01-08-2012, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rere View Post

I finished one already!

I've been needing to remake my slippers (I swear my feet aren't that different in size.just a weird angle or something)for quite awhile now.I had to tear them apart and start over because I originally made them way too big.

I'm just going to try to ignore that the stripes don't match up.uhg.Oh well,they're warm!

I really should go work on curtains but I find that soooo boring.But my daughter is happily playing checkers with my husband so now would be a good time.ok,here I go....

rere - I just looked at your handmade items on flickr.  Is your dry erase board (the one with the thrifted sheet behind glass) working okay?  Are you using dry erase markers, and do they wipe off easily?

#101 of 595 Old 01-08-2012, 09:18 PM

That is so sweet!

#102 of 595 Old 01-09-2012, 04:38 AM

Quote:

Ha!Yeah,she's a clown.

Got some lunch supplies made!

what did you line the inside of those with, if anything?  I was thinking of making some for fruits/veggies but not sure if I need to line them?

#103 of 595 Old 01-09-2012, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swede View Post

rere - I just looked at your handmade items on flickr.  Is your dry erase board (the one with the thrifted sheet behind glass) working okay?  Are you using dry erase markers, and do they wipe off easily?

Yes,it works well with dry erase markers.I glued little magnets to the side of the frame and got the dry erase markers where the top is magnetic(and has an eraser on it)so they could stick on.

swede likes this.

#104 of 595 Old 01-09-2012, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiMom View Post

Im loving all the finished projects!! Its nice to see everyone has been busy.

As for me, Ive done a messenger bag and 2 project bags. Ive also worked a bit on the sweater. I have to switch gears and get everything ready for my husband to get home on leave.. I can't believe we finally get to see him again after not seeing him since May.

Nice work and Yay! for your husband coming home.That must be quite an adjustment.My husband is only gone for a few weeks at a time but it still takes some adjustment from us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softmama View Post

what did you line the inside of those with, if anything?  I was thinking of making some for fruits/veggies but not sure if I need to line them?

I didn't line them.I've made some in the past that are the same as the ones on the bottom and it's been fine with no lining.I don't put anything too gooey in there.

#105 of 595 Old 01-09-2012, 07:05 AM

i did finish my diaper bag last night.  I am thinking this is gender neutral; that's why I used this vintage fabric for this bag. It has 15 pockets, including a big waterproof zippered one.

dipebag1.JPG

Mama to 3 boys 

#106 of 595 Old 01-09-2012, 07:05 AM

whoops; this posted twice ;)

Mama to 3 boys 

#107 of 595 Old 01-09-2012, 07:32 AM

Quote:

That's so cute! That looks like really nice colorway that you used? I'm curious which picture is more accurate, the top one looks more blue.

The baby sweater is in Claudia Hand Painted fingering weight and the colorway is "oops"  Its mostly blue/teal and purple.  The top picture is more accurate.  The buttons are blood wood or something like that, they start out red and as they are exposed to light they turn more brown (just the way that wood is).

I love all the shelves I am seeing.  I think we need to get on some shelves!  We have 100s of books and are low on storage.  I am wondering about putting end caps on the shelves so the books don't fall off the side?  Dp and I talked about making a sling shelf, so we'll see where that goes.

I started a slouchy tam for myself last night and had to frog the whole thing (ended up with totally the wrong number of stitches, grrrr) going to try again today.

I also want to make a mitten shaped bag for ds's preschool for the extra mittens/gloves I just bought for them (kids come without, or lose one, theirs get wet playing outside etc and they like to have a bunch on extra's on hand, hehe "on hand.")

#108 of 595 Old 01-09-2012, 07:43 AM

ms.shell I love the fabric on that diaper bag!

wash.gifMommy to my little Nugget bouncy.gifribboncesarean.gif 

144/2014 items decluttered   2/52 projects completed

#109 of 595 Old 01-09-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalGranolaMom View Post

ms.shell I love the fabric on that diaper bag!

Yeah.  That!!

I strung my birth beads last night.  Go me.  Now I need to wait for the gift for my son from the new baby to wrap and then pack my bag.  Holy crap, I'm going to have a baby in less than three weeks!  I'm not planning on being at the hospital too long, but will take some 'busy work" (cross stitch) for when I can't sleep and nobody is around.

I also need to think about the family Easter basket and what I should put in it for the kids.  FWIW, we don't celebrate Easter, but I was getting family guilt over not doing a basket so I have one for all the kids.  They usually figure out dividing the candy, but I'd like some little crafty things to stick in there.  Ideas for a young six y/o, a young two y/o and a newborn are welcome!  It will also have the basics - sidewalk chalk, bubbles, outside junk.

Angela
#110 of 595 Old 01-09-2012, 10:55 AM

I altered a sweater that DH and DD gave me for Christmas- It had these weird button things in the front and the back was just straight.  I removed the button tabs from the front, sewed them together and used them to cinch up the back- it looks so much better:) so I will update my list later- but I am at 2/52!

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#111 of 595 Old 01-09-2012, 12:32 PM

darn gardenbelle- that sweater is super cute!  And I have 2 skeins of yarn that would be perfect for it :)  I will be adding that to my list for our new little one... I have no idea how to dress a summer baby- probably not a wool sweater though huh?  So mine will have to be a titch bigger in the 6-9 I guess.  Hope I can squeeze this out of 2 skeins.

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#112 of 595 Old 01-09-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Ok, so here is my list so far (although I'm sure I will come up with more projects that need to be done...)

1. apron

2. pillows for the couch (2)

3. window seat cushion

4. advent calendar

5. felt board for DS

6. felt animals/people/vehicles

7. pot holders

8. scarf

9. clean/dirty sign for dishwasher

10. upcycle old calendar into wall art

11. make compost bin

12. plant fruit tree

13. plant veggie garden

14. make preserves

15. organize/compile recipe book

16. paint toilet paper holder

17. finally make 'welcome home' shadow box for DS (he's 2!)

18. make salsa

19. make dipping oils for family Christmas gifts

20. paint master bathroom

21. mend everything that has been tossed in the wasteland linen closet

22. plant small herb garden

Ok, so I fibbed. After seeing everyone's lists I decided to add more and go for 52!

23. fastener pillow for DS (it will have a zipper, buttons, velcro, laces, snaps to help him learn how to use them)

24. macrame belt

25. macrame wall hanging

26. small checkered flag for DS.  Right now he uses a little American flag for his "car race". He got this from watching car races with my dad.

27. superhero cape

28. pirate hat

29. Christmas ornament for my parents

30. Christmas ornament for my in-laws

31. rag rug

32. dinosaur blanket for DS

33-52. 20 drawstring shoe bags (I am counting each one individually because I don't think I'm ambitious enough to do them all in one sitting)

wash.gifMommy to my little Nugget bouncy.gifribboncesarean.gif 

144/2014 items decluttered   2/52 projects completed

#113 of 595 Old 01-09-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:

I didn't line them.I've made some in the past that are the same as the ones on the bottom and it's been fine with no lining.I don't put anything too gooey in there.

I have heard of some people using oilcloth or vinyl fabric for easy wipeability.

#114 of 595 Old 01-10-2012, 06:06 AM

Quote:

Yeah.  That!!

I strung my birth beads last night.  Go me.  Now I need to wait for the gift for my son from the new baby to wrap and then pack my bag.  Holy crap, I'm going to have a baby in less than three weeks!  I'm not planning on being at the hospital too long, but will take some 'busy work" (cross stitch) for when I can't sleep and nobody is around.

I also need to think about the family Easter basket and what I should put in it for the kids.  FWIW, we don't celebrate Easter, but I was getting family guilt over not doing a basket so I have one for all the kids.  They usually figure out dividing the candy, but I'd like some little crafty things to stick in there.  Ideas for a young six y/o, a young two y/o and a newborn are welcome!  It will also have the basics - sidewalk chalk, bubbles, outside junk.

Finger puppets?

#115 of 595 Old 01-10-2012, 06:38 AM

Quote:

I came across this felt chocolate bunny that is going in my little guy's basket, since he's far to young for candy and more involved toys. For older kids, those flip activity/coloring books are also great. Or you can make home made play-doh or popsicle stick puzzles

#116 of 595 Old 01-10-2012, 06:44 AM

Thanks for the ideas, guys.  We have some ADORABLE finger puppets that they got in last year's basket!  My oldest would revolt if there was a "fake" chocolate bunny in the mix, but my youngest might think it's uber cool.  That looks like something that I could whip out in no time.  And those popsicle stick puzzles are awesome!

You guys are the best.  Seriously.

Angela
#117 of 595 Old 01-10-2012, 07:55 AM

Hi everyone-

I'm pretty new to the board and the community but would love to join in if that's okay.  (Well I have apparently been registered for awhile but didn't realize it/had forgotten about it until yesterday).

I don't have a complete list but here it is so far (in no particular order):

1. Knit baby hat(s)

2. Sand down and paint Dd's bed.

3. Sand down and paint Dd's dresser.

4. Finish UFO knit blanket.

5. Lavender satchels for when we move.

6. Quilt for Dd

7. Photo frames for Dd's room

8. Household organizer binder

9. Retouch the dresser I repainted for our room.

10. Snowy balloon ornaments (for Christmas)

11, 12, 13. Wedding invitation ornaments (we are going to three weddings this year)

14. Flower girl dresses for my cousins wedding

15. Christmas cards

16. Fabric knitting basket

17. Fabric baskets for linen closet

18. Play food for Dd (hopefully before March, but if not before Christmas)

19. Build play kitchen for Dd.

20. Cloth napkins

21. Christmas door wreath

22. Ruffle shower curtain

23. Lace skirt for me

24.'Sadie' dress for Dd.

25. Button ruffle dress for Dd.

That's all I have so far but I will spend the day on pinterest trying to find some more ideas lol.

-Meagan

A Christian, crunchy, homeschooling southern wife to D and mama to A (5) who loves ( treehugger.gif, knit.gif,teapot2.GIF, and reading.gif)

#118 of 595 Old 01-10-2012, 11:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Here I am feeling bad that I haven't finished anything yet... this quilt is taking ages, mostly because I feel being interrupted by  house-moving stuff. But hopefully by the end of today I'll be able to tick off "Paint DD's room". Maybe even "Paint living room" as well, although I doubt it... but one can dream.

I think I'm going to add "Finish planting out veggie bed and flower garden" to my list, as well. Garden work is never-ending, but at least that's one concrete thing I can achieve... when all the pots are empty of seedlings, I'll consider that done.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#119 of 595 Old 01-10-2012, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

I'm doing crayon wallets for mine. I was going to do it for birthdays but thought it would be a bit mean to have my middle wait till November to get hers while her siblings got them in Jan/Feb. I could see some arguments happening there! I'm also doing the washcloths for the baskets for the same reason. I'm thinking of doing some play silks for the baby since the only ones I have are in pinks and purples, which my husband informs me are "girl" colors.

addi- welcome! Hope you don't mind me shortening your name, I'm usually typing with at least 1 if not more children in my lap.

I just finished the last of the project bags I had cut out. Now on to finishing the pink cammie dresses, DS's pants, ice the cake and make signs :) I'm getting so excited!

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#120 of 595 Old 01-10-2012, 12:36 PM

Made some star garlands today!

I think these will be part of a Christmas present but not sure.They may end up being part of our Christmas decor.I'm torn about adding Christmas gifts to my list.If I add all the Christmas gifts that I need to make it will take up my whole 52 but I like the motivation.

Tags
Arts And Crafts

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page