52 Project Challege, 2012 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 595 Old 01-11-2012, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I finally bound a baby blanket that I made 5 years ago!  Holy smokes.  How sad.  I was lazy and used that silky blanket binding that I had a random pack of.  it took like 10 minutes and I have stared at that stupid thing that long!  I also whipped out a felted purse.  Just a felted cabled cream sweater, some black ribbon, recycled purse handles that have been irritating me, and some lime green lining.  Turned out super cute and I think I will send it to my grandma for her birthday.  And dang easy and one of my girlfriends- but I am making a carseat canopy for the new baby.  I am going to use the last of my fav green floral that I have been saving and debating between teal linen (which matches so well and would be sooo lovely- but I was kind of saving for a skirt for me...) or muslin lining and making contrasting bias tape....  I could always get some more of the linen if I still want the skirt I guess- especially since I didn't have a pattern in mind even....  Ok teal linen it is I guess.

ohhh yeah- 4/52.  And pretty much recycled if you figure out how long it has been sitting here :)

OK- well scratch the fabric I choose so far.  Need to go through my stash I guess...

eta again... I made the canopy. super simple.  just a yard of fabric for each layer and I bound mine with contrasting bias tape.  very cute!  so now I am 5/52 and I think I might knit tonight. I have a headache- so I think it will be a low key evening.

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#122 of 595 Old 01-12-2012, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Got the two girl's cammie dresses and the boy's pants done.. Hubby came home yesterday joy.gifand is watching the kids so I can start working on the pictures dresses I need for Tuesday! Thats if I can stop getting distracted from the projects!

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#123 of 595 Old 01-12-2012, 09:22 AM

I finished mending all the broken items that were stuffed in the linen closet and now they are back to being productive members of our family again. lol.gif

That's 2/52 complete now. Tomorrow I will be heading to the craft store for felt and materials needed to make DS's fastener pillow. I better make a strict shopping list otherwise I am bound to walk away with stuff I don't really need, but just couldn't resist.

wash.gifMommy to my little Nugget bouncy.gifribboncesarean.gif 

144/2014 items decluttered   2/52 projects completed

#124 of 595 Old 01-12-2012, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Ds loooooves to do "projects". Often we do crafts for him or home repair or learning activities but today we did one of my 52!!! We made a set of 10 bean bags - took longer this way but heck they are done! He picked the fabric, filled them (which led to a lot of bean play) & played with the finished product while I did the cutting & sewing.

1 of 52

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#125 of 595 Old 01-12-2012, 03:29 PM

last night I actually sat down and knit 3.5 rows on my shawl.  I think I  have about 26 rows left and then it will be done.  Then since I am getting to the end of my ball of yarn I wound another today.  Hopefully tonight I can get a little more done on it.

I also printed out the pattern I lost for my grandpas mittens, slippers for myself, and a new pattern for some cute slippers that would make cool gifts for my SIL and sisters birthdays.  But before I get too carried away my children need new slippers.  Our house is a frosty 56 today and it is so windy our heat can not possibly keep up.  Brrrr.

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#126 of 595 Old 01-12-2012, 08:06 PM

So I "made" my lacing board (so my kid can finally learn to tie her shoes!) tonight, but it looks really plain, so I think I'll have my daughter decorate it tomorrow with stickers and whatnot.  Since it really took 5 minutes (and has been on my "to do" list in my craft closet for nearly three years...) I started making a Hanukkah gift (cross-stitch menorah).  I was just going to put the whole kit in my hospital bag, but I'm glad I just started on it because my cloth is so small it's really hard to see and I know I won't be able to do it when I'm exhausted.  So I'll just finish it and pack my next project in my bag.

Thanks for the motivation, ladies.  This thread is *exactly* what my crafting mo-jo needed. :)

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#127 of 595 Old 01-13-2012, 12:00 AM

Yay!  I let this drop off my horizon last year - kept working on projects but also kept accumulating projects hide.gif - I'm so glad to see the thread is up and running again this year, and so many familiar faces posting here too! 

I'm still embroidering dish towels (sigh) - but we traveled over New Years which means that I am on track for the 52 project challenge! 
smile.gif  I finished 7 towels in the last two weeks, which means I am at 45/52.  I have another three to complete and that gift set is complete - 2 more complete sets of 15ish towels to complete this year.  And I am committed to not increasing my stash this year.  I'm hoping I can get some of my larger, longer shoulda-finished projects off my radar this year.  I have one quilt fully cut out and partially pieced, another mostly cut out -- and plans to get a couple recycled jean quilts made this year too. 

We still have a ton of decluttering that we ought to get done, and if I can get more of these projects done, that would help. 

Also, since I tend so frequently to make my Christmas gifts for family/friends - my other big goal this year is to have all my Christmas gifts made/purchased and wrapped by the end of September.  I know it's possible because I did it the year my youngest was born (September).  And it was a lovely, lovely way to spend Advent! 

Not all who wander are lost.
#128 of 595 Old 01-13-2012, 12:03 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I'm still crocheting away.  Did an hour on the leg warmer today.  I almost have the first one done.  I sure hope I remember the count for the 2nd one  LOL.   I do LOVE that hour at swim team 3x a week and as a bonus there was an hour class at the library this week so I was FOUR hours strong LOL.  The blanket for my BIL is too large to take with me anymore so that's a strict 'at home' project now.  I have 5 more skeins then it should be done (about 5 hrs)

Part of me wants to cross stitch again, but part of me just is NOT up for task.

Almost has a mental collapse after Monday's subbing assignment.   Sent out some resumes today.  The economy needs to turn around sometime right?

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#129 of 595 Old 01-13-2012, 05:15 AM

Elanorh - what brand of towels do you use?  I'm trying to find napkins/towels to embroider that actually absorb liquid!

Angela
#130 of 595 Old 01-13-2012, 06:43 AM

I have been working more on my blanket ( I have only stitched about 56 rows out of 325) and I was wondering why I am making such slow progress on it.  It's because I only pick it up once a week during Bible study.  At this rate I won't be done for another two years lol. I think I should spend the weekend doing a movie/knitting marathon and see how much I can get done.

-Meagan

A Christian, crunchy, homeschooling southern wife to D and mama to A (5) who loves ( treehugger.gif, knit.gif,teapot2.GIF, and reading.gif)

#131 of 595 Old 01-13-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanQueen99 View Post

Elanorh - what brand of towels do you use?  I'm trying to find napkins/towels to embroider that actually absorb liquid!

Not Elenorh- but I buy great ones at my local farm store.  They are about 36" square and nice thick 100% cotton.  I think a pack of 6 is $9 or so and often they are on sale.  The ones from the grocery or kmart or where ever are a joke.  They are half poly and chinzy looking.

Slippers didn't get done yesterday- but I did re-plastic 8 windows yesterday afternoon- so at least I was busy....I even made DD move from room to room for her reading lesson while I taped and blow-dried the stupid plastic.

Maybe today I can get the slipper factory going.

#132 of 595 Old 01-13-2012, 11:38 AM

ok my goal is to make a prototype mylar snack bag between now and preschool pick up....go go gadget crafting!!

#133 of 595 Old 01-13-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:

I buy them at our local hardware store.  They are 100% cotton (sound very like what Iowaorganic describes).  Also, although they are far more expensive, Sublime Stitching has some very nice napkins and towels for embroidery, including some organic/fair trade dish towels.  I want to buy those when I finally embroider my OWN dishtowels ....

Aunt Martha brand dish towels are also nice - but IMO they're a little *too* large.  JoAnn's had them last time I looked there .... 

Some time I want to hit a JoAnn's when they're having a big sale and buy a bolt of birdseye fabric and just whip up a bunch of dish towels from that ... I love birdseye for these sorts of things, but don't want to pay full price for it. 

Not all who wander are lost.
#134 of 595 Old 01-13-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone_kneegrabber View Post

ok my goal is to make a prototype mylar snack bag between now and preschool pick up....go go gadget crafting!!

Mylar snack bag: FAIL, more research needed!

Decided to try to throw together an organizer/insert for my bag (like a crayon roll, but longer, for pencils, crayons, glue, scissors and other "teacher-y" stuff)- completed, although not particularly lovely

Started 2 "knitting bags," like little bags that hold only one ball of yarn and the project (socks, hats, etc).  Did one mostly (need to add drawstring) and 1/2 of the other, broke my machine's needle and don't have any replacements. grr!

So I guess I am at 49/52 (maybe 48/52 if I get the drawstring in and don't hate the bag)

I made all those things out of repurposed dishtowels so half the hems were already done (hooray!)

I want to make recycled, rainbow, heart shaped crayons for ds's preschool and my student teaching class for Valentines day.  I think I might also make the kids in my student teaching class bookmarks.  Should I make each kid one crayon or 2-3 crayons?  

I'm thinking I can get away with 1 if I also do bookmarks, but I have few ideas for book marks.  I was thinking of finding some book that they all pretty much like and trying to get it at the thrift store (maybe Harry Potter, or something) and then using the chapter title pages and cutting and laminating them and adding a ribbon at the top?  Or should I save that for something else and just do 2 crayons and a heart shaped valentine? ugh!

#135 of 595 Old 01-13-2012, 02:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I did a few rows of the baby blanket yesterday while my girl was asleep. And I've had an idea for the design of the quilt for my friend's baby. Although I found out that she's due a month earlier than I thought so will have to get moving on that.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#136 of 595 Old 01-13-2012, 03:03 PM

Iowa and Elanor - thanks for the feedback about the towels.  Any idea the brand name you use?  I'm so hugely pregnant that I'd love to just track them down on Amazon and have them magically appear at my door.  Lazy?  YES!

I've never looked into birdseye fabric, but it might be worth checking out.  Thanks for that, too.

Angela
#137 of 595 Old 01-13-2012, 06:20 PM

I wish I could get birdseye at my local Jo-ann's- or Hancock, or Hobby Lobby, or any of the 3 local shops.  I checked with them all more than once, and no one carries it around here.  I don't know why I don't do more shopping online.  I would love to buy a bolt of it, too, if I could find one!

About your valentines, tbone, how many crayons do you have to recycle?  I would probably melt down all that I have and see how many that makes.  If you have enough for several for each kid, then maybe you could call it done.  Or if not, then move on to the bookmarks?  Personally, I wouldn't feel right about cutting up a book where no one could read it again and so i would opt for printing something out instead or re-using something that has no more useful life as is.  But that's me; i'm not judging your idea as a no-no for you!

I have no projects to count as done (for points; i am feeling relieved and glad to have FINALLY gotten our tree and Christmas stuff down and put away just today!  The middle of January! -But still they were calling me Scrooge and both boys and dh were greatly saddened and upset to have it go!)  I haven't worked on any crafting for days. shrug.gif I did find a couple more projects that need on or moved up my list, one which isn't there yet but needs to be next.  It's a cloth dolly I made last year but need to wig and paint a face and make clothes for (and I will like to also do either a pair of removable wings and/or a mermaid tail).  Like I said, this needs to be next for me, and I would like to get her all done this weekend.  We'll see. eyesroll.gif

I hope everyone enjoys a peaceful nice weekend!

Mama to 3 boys 

#138 of 595 Old 01-13-2012, 10:08 PM

Quote:

Iowa and Elanor - thanks for the feedback about the towels.  Any idea the brand name you use?  I'm so hugely pregnant that I'd love to just track them down on Amazon and have them magically appear at my door.  Lazy?  YES!

I've never looked into birdseye fabric, but it might be worth checking out.  Thanks for that, too.

Next time I go I will look for you.  It is something with a white and blue paper label.  How is that for descriptive?

Well between DH and I- we finally finished up my new silver and black handbag.  I should really take a pic and post it because it turned out even better than the first- which got replaced because the leather just didn't hold up very well at all and now looks pretty darn shabby.  It took 4 mo for DH to tell me how to do it- but the results were well worth it :)

And I figured out my nesting project.  I am going to make myself some pretty cotton nightgowns for labor, delivery and after since they will be being friendly.  I am going to use Simplicity 9505 and I bought enough beautiful fabric for 4 of them.  Very excited and think I might cut one out tomorrow.  I got the idea off Etsy and at first I though a boutique style nighty/hospital gown was ridiculous and now I can't believe I never had something pretty and modest before.  My midwife will be so impressed over me actually wearing something and having something else clean to put on after :)  I didn't even scrimp on the fabric- but I probably could have saved some money if I had been at hobby lobby over joanns....  

6/52 I think?

#139 of 595 Old 01-14-2012, 05:21 AM

Finally getting around to posting a list:

Finished

1. Embellished freebie lap top bag  & made coordinating mouse pad  for DD #1's hand-me down lap top-- cute & done

2. Knit heavy weight balaclava & lighter weight winter headband to coordinate with this year's snow suit (in circulation since October--better late than never)--done

Projects On Deck

• Knit up additional winter warm stuff coordinate better with other new in circulation snow gear
  • Sew bed side caddy thing for DD#2
  • Sew new duvet cover
  • Re-Upholster recliner chair (intimidating--must get my nerve up to properly tackle this job)
  • Knit protective cozies for new ipad-esque device & lap top
  • Embellish "boyish" fleece jacket to make it "girlish" (as requested by DD#1)
  • Continue wool rag rug project

Goals

Use materials from stash as much as possible

Plan ahead carefully for big projects (like chair upholstery project) requiring purchase of supplies

Turn upstairs spare room (currently unfinished and used for storage) and turn it into a dedicated & ORGANIZED studio/work space 

Have a mix of projects going so there is always something to grab and work on during spare moments of kids practices/classes/activities

Running total: 2/52

#140 of 595 Old 01-14-2012, 08:19 AM

Quote:
And I figured out my nesting project.  I am going to make myself some pretty cotton nightgowns for labor, delivery and after since they will be being friendly.  I am going to use Simplicity 9505 and I bought enough beautiful fabric for 4 of them. 

Good idea, iowaorganic!  Are you gonna make nursing panels in that somehow? How? Or make the shorts to wear under so it will be modest?  I have made that as a nightgown in both views, and shortened the view with a casing to make a summer top, too.  One of them is my favorite nightgown I have; it was recycled from a favorite girly sheet.  What fabrics did you get to make it with?

I came in here to find my list, I haven't updated it yet.  I think I will put nursing nightgowns on mine, too. 

Mama to 3 boys 

#141 of 595 Old 01-14-2012, 12:30 PM

I thought I posted here already, but it seems to have disappeared... So I will have to put my whole list in later. I have so many projects that have never been finished, that I really want to get done.

Today I made a pair of wool snowpants for my DD1, 3 pairs of pants for DD1 and 2 pairs of pants for DD2. This was all cut out, waiting, and needed! I have had the fabirc (hand-dyed bamboo french terry and interlock, plus assorted knit prints) since I was sewing diapers, which ended over 5 years ago... I will likely find more than 52 projects between UFOs, upcoming gifts planned, and items I need as the year goes past.

Partial List (to be edited as I find/remember more projects I have on the go):

Pants for Alegria black & blue

Pants for Alegria blue and green

Pants for Alegria blue and pink

Pants for Guinevere blue and paisley

Pants for Guinevere purple and pink floral

Pants for Guinevere green and orange floral UFO

Wool snowpants A

Wool Snowpants S

Hat for Alegria to replace the one I made for Christmas, which is too big for her

Chair cushions for Dad UFO

Whisper Cardigan for me UFO

Knight hat for Sterling

Shirt to match each of the pairs of pants above = 6 items

New set of wipes - 30

Pants for Sterling UFO

Pants for Sterling UFO

Corset for me UFO

Weighted blanket for Sterling

Neck pillow/tube for Sterling UFO

Pot rack for kitchen

Fold down shelf for beside sink

Sand and refinish dining table

sand and refinish wooden counter top

24 items

18 items

22 items

46/52

Momsteader likes this.
#142 of 595 Old 01-14-2012, 02:56 PM

I am slowly knitting along, sooo slow.... have not finished any projects yet.

1. coffee cozy

2. pretend food for friends' son (by June)

3. apron

4. passport cover

5. pillow cases (lots of them)

6. make-up bag

7. wall art for the hallway

8. wall art in office

9. one knitted item

10. my everest: the colette pattern macaron dress

hh2.gif

#143 of 595 Old 01-14-2012, 04:54 PM

I picked up the felt last night for the board I'm making for DS. Now it's time to start cutting out animals, vehicles, scenery, etc. My glue gun will be busy this weekend. I found some googly eyes in my stash too so I will have to add those to some of the characters. Googly-eyed dinosaur anyone? orngtongue.gif

#144 of 595 Old 01-14-2012, 05:53 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaorganic View Post

Not Elenorh- but I buy great ones at my local farm store.  They are about 36" square and nice thick 100% cotton.  I think a pack of 6 is $9 or so and often they are on sale.  The ones from the grocery or kmart or where ever are a joke.  They are half poly and chinzy looking.

Slippers didn't get done yesterday- but I did re-plastic 8 windows yesterday afternoon- so at least I was busy....I even made DD move from room to room for her reading lesson while I taped and blow-dried the stupid plastic.

Maybe today I can get the slipper factory going.

By farm store, you mean a place like Blain's Farm & Fleet/Mills Fleet Farm?

I too need to get going on the slippers. With this cold snap and the fact that our first floor apartment has next to no floor insulation, my feet are freezing! 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#145 of 595 Old 01-15-2012, 12:49 AM

Project #2 Down! I made myself an apron tonight! I've been wanting one for a long time, and I had the fabric sitting here all ready to go. But, of course I kept doign things I 'needed' to do. Baby seemed like he was sleeping well, so I was able to get it done. I know I'll make some more now. This was just a simple 'half' apron just self-designed on the fly. I'll take a photo in the am. And, I got some partial projects done, so really just created a few more UFOs! Hopefully will finish those in the coming days.

Oh, and I did knit two washrags, but I knit probably 100 of these in a year, so I can't really give myself credit. Maybe once this year for all of them ;) LOL

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#146 of 595 Old 01-15-2012, 04:17 AM - Thread Starter

Hubby has volunteered to keep the kids entertained and work on packing today so I'm going to try to get a bunch of the half done/mostly done projects finished and a bit of things started.. Lots to do before we move! DH surprised me with a knitting needle organizer the other day, might not sound nice to anyone else but I'm a sucker from practical gifts. Shows he really is paying attention to what I'm saying. So, now my needles are organized and away from the children! Should help me get projects done faster when I don't need to worry about them getting into things! List of things Id like to work on today:

Cut out shrugs for pictures

cut out dresses for pictures

cut out DS's birthday outfit

cut out DD's birthday outfit (I'm cheating, I'm using the same pattern for her birthday outfit as I am for pictures so its easier to get done)

finish sewing soft book (veggietale)

finish sewing soft book (mickey mouse)

Sew zipper on dress 1

sew zipper on dress 2

sew my picture shrug

sew DD1's picture shrug

sew DD2's picture shrug

sew giraffe shoes for DS's birthday outfit

sew Dino shoes (no real reason for these but he needs shoes and they match an outfit I'm making for him)

fix sweater front (priority, Ive been putting this off for to long!)

fix sweater back

sew front of sweater to back

embroidery on sweater

hair ties for the pictures and for DD1's birthday outfit

cast on vest and knit up to arm holes (I'm so grateful that DS is still a baby right about now, a 12 month size vest is so much easier than say I was doing for for my oldest!)

knit collar on sweater

I figure I will get most of the sewing stuff done and some of the knitting. My priorities are the things for pictures and the vest since they have to be done the quickest.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#147 of 595 Old 01-15-2012, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

okimom - wow! That's at least a month's work for me!!!

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#148 of 595 Old 01-15-2012, 08:37 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post

Seriously, me too! 

I'm going to try to sew my travel tissue holder today; I haven't had any free time to sit down at the machine lately. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#149 of 595 Old 01-15-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post

No kidding! That's quite a list.

This morning I finished my clean/dirty sign for the dishwasher and started on some the felt animals for DS.

Here is the cow and triceratops I finished so far...

DSC03898.JPG

#150 of 595 Old 01-15-2012, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiMom View Post

Hubby has volunteered to keep the kids entertained and work on packing today so I'm going to try to get a bunch of the half done/mostly done projects finished and a bit of things started.. Lots to do before we move! DH surprised me with a knitting needle organizer the other day, might not sound nice to anyone else but I'm a sucker from practical gifts. Shows he really is paying attention to what I'm saying. So, now my needles are organized and away from the children! Should help me get projects done faster when I don't need to worry about them getting into things! List of things Id like to work on today:

Ooh, thanks for reminding me! I was going to make myself a needle holder. And what a nice thing for your DH to do love.gif

Also, I'm with the others *TODAY*?????????????? My goodness woman, you are a crafting machine bow.gif

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

Tags
Arts And Crafts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page