52 Project Challege, 2012 - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 595 Old 01-23-2012, 03:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

OK, I finally sat down and tallied up all the UFOs and gifts to be made in the house and I didn't have enough to equal 52 so I added some of the projects that have been hanging over my head like shopping for things for the house.  Shopping is so hard with the little ones, so I tend to procrastinate but it's been over 2 years since we moved into our house and there are still a lot of things to be done to make it more of a home.  So here is my list!  So far, I am 1/51.  I just got back from vacation so I am ready to go!  I've had a new curtain rod lying in our bedroom for a few months now and I finally got around to hanging the new drapes.  I'm half way finished ironing them so hopefully I will have at least #22 crossed off by the end of the week.

52 Project Challenge

1. UFO - Book display shelves for the kids rooms
  2. UFO - Finally hang the frame collection and find photos to fill
  3. UFO - Finish Cloth sandwich wraps for random bday party gifts
  4. lunch bag for park picnics
  5. Boo-boo cold compress dolls
  6. Waldorf inspired doll for Penny’s 2nd b-day
  7. Matching aprons for P, J & me
  8. UFO - Finish sign on J & P’s puppet theater
  9. XL beach toy bag
  10. UFO - Scrap T-shirt ball for rag rug from all the built up t-shirts in my upcycle pile
  11. Paint master bathroom and buy new towels & rug
  12. Find a new coffee table
  13. Doll cradle for Penny
  14. Find a fireplace screen
  15. Find a seating arrangement for our bedroom
  16. Spring garden
  17. UFO - Kitchen remodel
  18. Lounge chair for the living room
  19. UFO - Clean donation area in the garage and move frig over there
  20. Organize craft room
  21. Organize garage
  22. UFO - Finally hang the drapes in the bedroom
  23. UFO - Find living room drapes
  24. Reseed lawn
  25. UFO - Penny’s baby book
  26. UFO - New front door
  27. UFO - Hang painting above fireplace instead of it leaning up there
  28. Finish Penny’s pillow
  29. Finish digging up the section of lawn to be planted with veggies
  30. Bow for Torrey pine for next Christmas
  31. Picnic blanket
  32. UFO - Matching shirt and dress for Penny and I
  33. UFO - Replace one of Jack’s sepia pics with Penny so there is an equal number for each of them
  34. UFO - Finish changing out the electrical switches
  35. Terra’s shower gift (the following are all gifts)
  36. Rosie 1st bday
  37. Mom’s bday
  38. Cameron’s 2nd bday
  39. Penny’s second bday
  40. Jack’s gift
  41. Zack’s gift 4
  42. Tommy’s gift 4
  43. Conrad’s 4 bday
  44. Georgia’s 4th bday
  45. Katie’s bday
  46. Xmas gift Penny
  47. Xmas gift Jack
  48. Xmas gift Linda
  49. Xmas gift Abby
  50. Xmas gift Aubrey
  51. Xmas gift mamma
  52. Xmas gift Dad

Married since 4/2004 treehugger.gif mom to DSkid.gif6/2008, DD bf.gif 4/2010 and one on the way.  52 project challenge: 16/52

#182 of 595 Old 01-23-2012, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiMom View Post

Ive been slacking too (and sick, a sick slacker) so no worries..

Im going to try to sew today if my husband doesn't work up the kids to bad.

Well shoot, you have a good reason being sick! Hope you're feeling better now. I was just slacking because I just wanted some down time to do things without a schedule or plan (which is really weird for me). But I suppose going off the list every once in way is healthy. So long as I don't make a habit of it, that is. :-) I've got three weeks to catch up at this rate! 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#183 of 595 Old 01-24-2012, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

Well shoot, you have a good reason being sick! Hope you're feeling better now. I was just slacking because I just wanted some down time to do things without a schedule or plan (which is really weird for me). But I suppose going off the list every once in way is healthy. So long as I don't make a habit of it, that is. :-) I've got three weeks to catch up at this rate! 

Sometimes its good to throw away the list for a bit. I take "mini vacations" throughout the year that I just do the bare minimum and play with my children instead. I know a lot of people don't think SAHMs need a break but raising children 24/7 is exhausting and sometimes you need to just step back and relax..

Its 4am here and Im taking the girls to ride horses and milk cows today. First I need to work on the stuff I was going to do yesterday. I ended up spending the day being "magically turned into" different animals by my 4 year old.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#184 of 595 Old 01-24-2012, 03:22 AM - Thread Starter

Got the two cloth books done for the baby's birthday next month. Now I'm going to finish the shrug I'm making for me and work on the dress I'm making for me. Id like at least one actual nice dress before we move so I can look decent when we go to church innocent.gif I know a bit vain but I do get tired looking like rumpled mommy all the time.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#185 of 595 Old 01-24-2012, 12:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Well, I have a bunch of projects that are nearly done - rooms that are almost but not quite painted. But I did one thing at least!

1/52: Covered the frame of an old round mirror with four layers of ruffles, for DD's bedroom. It looks pretty awesome, I think. :p Plus I bought the mirror online two years ago, and the fabric was the rest of a remnant DH bought for a project ages ago, so it was a "free" project.

I'm also in the middle of making ruffly balls to hang from DD's ceiling, over her bed. I've only done one so far and it took forever; I'm raring to go on the next two, but I have to sew DS a shirt, waistcoat and trousers by Saturday for a wedding, so it'll have to wait.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#186 of 595 Old 01-24-2012, 01:40 PM

I'm with you, OkiMom. I really want to lose some weight, because I've got a pattern for a skirt I want but. . .it's going to be a lot of work, so I don't want to make it and THEN lose weight, you know? 

I've hit a problem with my giant monster project. I hate that. I'm ok at sitting down to work on the project if I know what the next step is. When I have to figure out solutions, I procrastinate big time.

#187 of 595 Old 01-24-2012, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaofprincesses View Post

I'm with you, OkiMom. I really want to lose some weight, because I've got a pattern for a skirt I want but. . .it's going to be a lot of work, so I don't want to make it and THEN lose weight, you know? 

I've hit a problem with my giant monster project. I hate that. I'm ok at sitting down to work on the project if I know what the next step is. When I have to figure out solutions, I procrastinate big time.

One of my problems is that when my husband was deployed I lost almost 30 pounds, Im back to weighing my pre-pregnancy weight (the size I was when I married my husband). All my clothing is what I wore when I was pregnant with my middle and youngest so its all stretched out, mended and worn. Some of it I actually wore when I was pregnant with DD1, whos turns 5 on Sunday.

#188 of 595 Old 01-26-2012, 03:56 PM

14/52

I replaced the zippers on 2 of my kids coats!  Good grief.  It was either that or hit the clearance racks searching for a new coat for DS1 whose arms suddenly grew way too much for his current coat to be actually functional.  It was a pain and I am glad I had an upholstery machine to use since my Janome wasn't cutting it at all.  I also did DDs next coat which is apparently a Columbia down that I remember buying at a garage sale for a little bit of nothing...  Never realized it was down though- so Yay for DD!  

I also made DH, DS1, and DS2 all tractor pillow cases.  I am not counting this one though- not sure why but the fabric was an impulse way to use some awesome trim that was also an impulse.  But I did do them all within a day of buying the fabric!

Anyone have a cute pattern for a summery skirt that doesn't have a real waist?  Dh suggested I make myself a skirt of the same tractor print (which is kind of weird I guess) but I would wear it after the baby comes all the time probably....  Something  that is size accommodating out of a woven cotton?  Anyone?  Perhaps I should cut a pattern using my Enwrapture?  Something I can wear with a bravado tank and flip flops are the only real requirements....  And if it doesn't take a million yards.

eta- 15/52.

I upcycled an old long wool aline skirt into a cute jumper for DD.  Very simple but very her.  I also mended a skirt of mine that has been driving me nuts forever.  It is a denim just below the knee one with a slit in the front.  I hate front slit skirts- so I filled it in with zebra cord.  I think it will look super cute with a white top and black tank under and black tights.  Hopefully.

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#189 of 595 Old 01-26-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

Well, I have a bunch of projects that are nearly done - rooms that are almost but not quite painted. But I did one thing at least!

1/52: Covered the frame of an old round mirror with four layers of ruffles, for DD's bedroom. It looks pretty awesome, I think. :p Plus I bought the mirror online two years ago, and the fabric was the rest of a remnant DH bought for a project ages ago, so it was a "free" project.

I'm also in the middle of making ruffly balls to hang from DD's ceiling, over her bed. I've only done one so far and it took forever; I'm raring to go on the next two, but I have to sew DS a shirt, waistcoat and trousers by Saturday for a wedding, so it'll have to wait.

Can and will you post pics?  They sound awesome but not sure if I am visioning the same thing?

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#190 of 595 Old 01-26-2012, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Iowa- I did a simple gore skirt with an elastic waist for when I came home from the hospital with DS.. I guessed the waist I would need and it was pretty comfortable. Only took like 3 hours, including cutting time and making the pattern.

#191 of 595 Old 01-26-2012, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaorganic View Post

Anyone have a cute pattern for a summery skirt that doesn't have a real waist?  Dh suggested I make myself a skirt of the same tractor print (which is kind of weird I guess) but I would wear it after the baby comes all the time probably....  Something  that is size accommodating out of a woven cotton?  Anyone?  Perhaps I should cut a pattern using my Enwrapture?  Something I can wear with a bravado tank and flip flops are the only real requirements....  And if it doesn't take a million yards.

I haven't tried it yet but this pattern for a bias cut skirt with a stretchy waistband might be good http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-a-bias-cut-skirt-with-wide-stretch-wai/?ALLSTEPS

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#192 of 595 Old 01-27-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

I have been slacking. That is all. 

Sigh. Me too.

wash.gifMommy to my little Nugget bouncy.gifribboncesarean.gif 

144/2014 items decluttered   2/52 projects completed

#193 of 595 Old 01-27-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:

Can and will you post pics?  They sound awesome but not sure if I am visioning the same thing?

Surely can, as soon as we find the computer cable. It seems to have gotten lost in the move. :/

2/52: Finished outfit for DS to wear to a wedding - vest and pants. I'm proud of the pants - they have six pockets, including four fancyish ones. Just what a seven-month-old needs. :p

#194 of 595 Old 01-27-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalGranolaMom View Post

Sigh. Me too.

Maybe this weekend we can do some things... 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#195 of 595 Old 01-28-2012, 02:21 AM

I am sewing my coffee cozy TODAY. you can hold me accountable ;) but seriously, I don't mind if I am slow because I want the crafts to be fun and relaxing and not another item on my to do list...

hh2.gif

#196 of 595 Old 01-28-2012, 03:58 AM - Thread Starter

The movers came Thursday and yesterday we cleaned.. Today we are finishing up with the cleaning and dropping stuff off at my in-laws. I'm hoping to get my daughter's scripture tote done today as well.

#197 of 595 Old 01-28-2012, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiMom View Post

The movers came Thursday and yesterday we cleaned.. Today we are finishing up with the cleaning and dropping stuff off at my in-laws. I'm hoping to get my daughter's scripture tote done today as well.

You are still crafting in the middle of a major move!? Ladies, let me introduce you all to Wonder Woman, who posts here using the moniker of OkiMom. ;-)

#198 of 595 Old 01-28-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:

bow.gif   Watch as I bow down to your craftiness!!!!!  Seriously, we moves last fall and there wasn't any crafting a month before or like 2 weeks after. 

In updating news, I have finally made my Mother her Multi-Tasker Tote that she wanted for Christmas last year. 

So I am now at 7/52 projects completed for the year! 

And in not so crafty, but cool projecty news...I am working on cooking another baby!  This project should be put in the completed column late September to early October!  So here is hoping it sticks, I have had some that had not.....But this means a TON of baby projects are being added to my list of things to do! 

#199 of 595 Old 01-28-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatocraft View Post

And in not so crafty, but cool projecty news...I am working on cooking another baby!  This project should be put in the completed column late September to early October!  So here is hoping it sticks, I have had some that had not.....But this means a TON of baby projects are being added to my list of things to do! 

Very cool, congratulations! September babies are great. -)

#200 of 595 Old 01-28-2012, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

congrats potatocraft - definitely an awesome "project"!

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#201 of 595 Old 01-28-2012, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

lol.gif Thanks for making me smile, its been a LONG LONG day. to s.

I actually craft for a stress relief and moving stresses me out big time. When Im working on a move (happens alot) I schedule time into my day to sew/knit otherwise I would lose my mind. Im actually..umm.. making my husband find a place in the van for my sewing machine, a bit of fabric and my yarn.. Because I have to have something to do when Im at the hotel (other than chasing around three kids. I did promise my oldest daughter knitting lessons so I might start those while we are moving to keep her entertained).

Tomorrow is my oldest daughter's 5th birthday and she asked really nicely if Id be able to finish her cowgirl dress on time.. I wasn't planning on it but I have to do three loads of laundry before the end of the night and I only have about an hour of work left on the dress so I guess Im sewing her a dress.. Someone please teach me how to say no to my children.

#202 of 595 Old 01-28-2012, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

BTW- Potato, CONGRATS!!! Heres to hoping for a sticky bean and a healthy 9 months :)

#203 of 595 Old 01-28-2012, 08:30 PM

Congratulations, Potatocraft! :)

I just remembered I've finished another project, making 3/52. Shorts for DS which I made ages ago, before he was born, and only just got around to putting the elastic in.

#204 of 595 Old 01-28-2012, 09:18 PM

Yay for another baby Potato!  How exciting- baby things are so fun and usually quick to do!  

I spent my entire day crafting- it was fun with my girlfriends.  We were sewing for my gf  who is due in March.  Nursing covers (I am going to copy the idea somewhat and make one for myself), 2 sided blankets, a carseat canopy, and a diaper bag.  I just finished the diaper bag (well I can't decide if I want to add a shoulder strap....) and it is maybe the best I have ever done :)  It turned out absolutely lovely!  I kept all the scraps to make her some little burp clothes and a boppy cover and perhaps a changing pad for in her gorgeous diaper bag...  

This is embarrassing- but I decided I wanted a new diaper bag this time as well.  After a year and a half or two years I just get sick to death of my diaper bags- DH just doesn't understand!  Anyway- I ordered myself an LLBean XL tote with zipper in green tea.  It is a little too big.  I mean my 6 yo can crawl in it and be comfortable while I zip it up.  But I am too lazy to send it back- and I will have 5 kids- so an enormous bag is ok right?  But since I can't leave well enough alone- I want to get some fabric paint and paint kids on it like the My 31 canvas tote bag. I love the look of that....  So I spend a day making the most beautiful custom diaper bag ever only to use a LLBean canvas tote myself.  How bazaar.  

potatocraft likes this.

#205 of 595 Old 01-28-2012, 11:44 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Congratulations PotatoCraft, what lovely news!

I crossed another item off my list yesterday. A friend of mine does sewing classes so I went to her wide-leg pants with stretchy waistband class. I finished one pair and actually ended up starting a second but I'm still crossing it off my list as my goal was just to do one pair. I think I'm 3/26 now.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#206 of 595 Old 01-29-2012, 08:10 AM

Congratulations, potatocraft, and good luck!  We are expecting quite a few babies on this thread this year.  Speaking of which, AfricanQueen, is your baby here yet?

Well, I broke down and took my Janome to the repair shop and picked it up yesterday, so hopefully my crafting speed will now pick up quite a bit.  I am still working on that corduroy quilt.  I have never taken a machine in for repair before (because I have always been able to fix the mechanical machines.  The one that broke is electronic and I was afraid to take it apart too much), and I am trying to figure out if I got taken.  The problem was the timing was thrown off.  He charged me nearly a hundred bucks. Okay, fine, I really missed my favorite machine and needed it working again.  But when I went to pick it up, he said "you really need to think about getting this oiled and cleaned, it's pretty dry."  You know, the electronic machines can't be oiled at home, according to the manual.  Then he told me that would be $60.  I was a little taken aback; I guess I just assumed that $100 would include an oiling and cleaning.  What do ya'll think, should I go to a different repair shop for this?  Or is that reasonable that a timing issue would cost so much and that oiling/maintenance SHOULD be a separate trip/charge?

Mama to 3 boys 

#207 of 595 Old 01-29-2012, 08:37 AM

congrats on baby potatocraft!

okimom, good luck moving. may you find everything quickly afterwards!

I finished my coffee cozy, and have started on teabag wrappers for a valentine's day swap. fun and easy! It's from this tutorial: http://www.creaturecomfortsblog.com/home/2009/1/23/free-printable-valentine-teabag-wrappers-tags.html

hh2.gif

#208 of 595 Old 01-29-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.shell View Post

Congratulations, potatocraft, and good luck!  We are expecting quite a few babies on this thread this year.  Speaking of which, AfricanQueen, is your baby here yet?

Well, I broke down and took my Janome to the repair shop and picked it up yesterday, so hopefully my crafting speed will now pick up quite a bit.  I am still working on that corduroy quilt.  I have never taken a machine in for repair before (because I have always been able to fix the mechanical machines.  The one that broke is electronic and I was afraid to take it apart too much), and I am trying to figure out if I got taken.  The problem was the timing was thrown off.  He charged me nearly a hundred bucks. Okay, fine, I really missed my favorite machine and needed it working again.  But when I went to pick it up, he said "you really need to think about getting this oiled and cleaned, it's pretty dry."  You know, the electronic machines can't be oiled at home, according to the manual.  Then he told me that would be $60.  I was a little taken aback; I guess I just assumed that $100 would include an oiling and cleaning.  What do ya'll think, should I go to a different repair shop for this?  Or is that reasonable that a timing issue would cost so much and that oiling/maintenance SHOULD be a separate trip/charge?

I think it should have been included- or at least the could have called and asked while it was torn apart- ya know?  It should have been cheaper then right?  I have a Janome MC6500 and the little black plastic bobbin holder got destroyed and it was $50 just for the part!  I was floored!  I put it in and diagnosed it myself- how could something so rinkydink cost so much?  I dread the day mine needs to go to the shop.  

#209 of 595 Old 01-29-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ms.shell View Post

Speaking of which, AfricanQueen, is your baby here yet?

How sweet of you to remember me.  Yes, sweet baby girl was born on the bathroom floor in a totally unplanned UC...much to my husband's dismay.  She will be one week old tomorrow and I'm soaking in her deliciousness each day.

Oh, I'm totally counting having a baby as a completed project.  So that puts me at 5/52!

potatocraft likes this.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#210 of 595 Old 01-29-2012, 11:15 AM

I took mine in for a repair/service several months ago. It really needed it - the little nubby bit on the bobbin case that prevents it from spinning all the way round had worn down, so the thread kept getting caught in a bunch of loops and causing the engine to seize up and make weird humming noises. That's as technical an explanation as you're gonna get. :p It was REALLY annoying. Anyway, the whole thing cost about NZ$200, IIRC, which I found horrific. It did include a clean and general checkup (mine's self-oiling), which was itemised as a separate cost on the receipt, so... I dunno? It does seem like he should have rung and asked while the machine was taken apart, like iowaorganic says. That's what our car mechanic usually does. :p

AfricanQueen99, congratulations! I love unplanned-UC stories! Super-quick labour, I assume? Are you happy with how things turned out? I know a lady who gave birth on her in-laws' back doorstep, while they were dropping off the older boy on the way to the birthing centre. As it happened her FIL was a farmer and had delivered hundreds of calves, so he was unfazed and stepped in to help out. :p He's very proud to have delivered a grandchild!

Today I'm hoping to finish making DD's second ruffle ball. Cutting out hundreds of three-inch circles takes a surprisingly long time, and my sewing scissors are none too sharp. But I can't tick off the project until I've done all three balls!

Managed to acquire myself another project yesterday. My nephew's birthday is in February, and I told SIL she could choose any pattern from my Ottobre magazines and I'd make it for him for a birthday present. She chose some cute shorts from a little sailor suit pattern which I've been meaning to make for DS, so I'll make two outfits at once. It would be neat if they were the same size, but my nephew's a lot fatter than he used to be, so I'm not too hopeful. I might make the shirt for him as well - it looks fairly quick and easy.

Tags
Arts And Crafts

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page