52 Project Challege, 2012 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 595 Old 01-01-2012, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Its a new year so to quote what was put last year (since it was put so well)..

Those of us who craft tend to accumulate stashes of projects to complete, and UFOs (Unfinished Objects), etc.  We'd all like to finish them ... but they can feel overwhelming!  I think those of us who participated last year found our thread very motivational and supportive as we all worked towards this goal. 

Is anyone else up for a challenge? One project a week, we can report back here about what we've finished each week. Kudos for those who work ahead (and demerits for any 'new' projects we add to the stash) -

So for example, if I sew three projects Week 1, I am at 49/52. If in Week 2, I sew a project but buy two new projects, then I am at 50/52 in Week 2.  The object is to finish what we have, and avoid increasing our stash. 

Bonus points for "upcycling" items - old tshirts into PJs for kids, or old sweaters into wool longies, etc. 

C'mon, folks - let's motivate each other!

Lets have some fun and do some crafts.. Try to remember to add pictures so we can all ohh and ahh with you smile.gif

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#2 of 595 Old 01-01-2012, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

I got around 39 projects done last year, not bad considering I also completed an international move, had a 3rd child and my husband deployed.. This year i hope to actually pass 52 projects! I have so much 1/2 done projects in storage that I couldn't complete before we moved and ones I started in December but got way-layed by a sick child.. I don't have much of a stash (most, if not all, my supplies are for a certain project) so I only count demerits when I buy something not intended for a certain project.

Usually I start with a list of projects I want to get during the year.... but I have to many projects to accomplish in January.. Ill think of the rest of the year in the middle of February when birthday season is over smile.gif

Week 1 Goals

Finish Christmas gifts that still arent done (December was a bad month so I have a ton of stuff that got started but never finished):

- blasted flippin knitted bus sweater.. Its a thorn in my side

- Finish the girls dresses by adding buttons and button holes

- Finish the owl messenger bag, which needs its strap made and sewn on

= finish crayon rolls by adding buttons and bands to close them and find the crayons/coloring books for them.. They will be birthday presents for two of the children and a moving fun thing for the third

-finish the knitted monster that needs to be sewn up and its giant eye ball emboridered

Prep work for other projects this month:

-wash pink and blue cammie material and press. cut out childrens outfits

- make knitting pattern for washcloth for DH

-pick up yarn for a vest for the boy

-pick up fabric to alter a dress for me

-decide on picture dress fabric/pattern.. got ideas.. not sure if they will work. Its hard when you can't SEE the whole thing completed in front of you.

If I have time/energy/desire pick from this list of things to do- try to start one of these:

knitted grenade (Hubby is going to get a big laugh from this one)

Bomb washcloth (need pattern first)

mug cozy (need to finish sweater first because Im using the extra yarn from the sweater for this)

start sewing outfits

horse washcloth

horse scarf

Car organizer for each child for the move

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#3 of 595 Old 01-01-2012, 02:30 PM

I don't know that I have 52 projects, but I have a couple of really big ones to finish so. . .can I join?

#4 of 595 Old 01-01-2012, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Of course! A lot of us don't finish 52 projects.. Just join in and have some fun. We are a friendly group (I think whistling.gif)

#5 of 595 Old 01-01-2012, 03:18 PM

As long as I can work this thread in conjunction with Homemade Holidays 2012 I'm in.

Week one is sort of hard as my oldest is still home from school, but I forsee big things happening around here to clear out my stash. :)

Projects to work on first:

Hem master bath curtains.

Hem Kid2's curtains.

Hem Kid1's curtains.

I'll report back when I get those done!

Ok, here's my list to try to work through for 2012:

1. Master bath curtains - DONE - 1/2012

2. G's curtains - DONE - 1/2012

3. Photograph beads and string birth bead necklace - DONE - 1/2012

4. Lacing board for C - DONE - 1/2012

5. Sweet baby Q - DONE - 1/2012

6/7/8. Crafting and preparing for an awesome 6th birthday party - success! - DONE - 4/2012

9/10/11.  Tree trimming ornaments for C/G/Q - DONE - 11/2012

12/13/14. Christmas Eve PJ pants for C/G/Q - DONE 12/2012

15/16/17. Baby rings for Q/K/A - DONE 12/2012

18. Mistletoe Kissing Ball - DONE 12/2012

19. Management cross-stitch - DONE 12/2012

20/21. Ornament cross-stitch - DONE 12/2012

22. Family Photography (organized, framed, gifted) - DONE 12/2012

Embroider C's drawing

Magnetic paper doll (general gifting idea)

Felt circle pillow

"I love you" cards

Silhouette art faces of all the kids

Freezer paper stencil clothes

Embroidery ring of our family tree

Baby legs

Stunt man shirt

Hand embroidery of all the kids

Felted wool bike bag

Sidewalk chalk paint

Etched wine glasses

Wine glass coasters

Cupcake pin cushion

Photo frame

Puzzle blocks

Cloth rings

Poinsettia pillow

Poinsettia pillow

Ornaments

Best of my Days calendars

PJ pants - C

PJ pants - G

PJ pants - ?

Monogrammed pillow

Wool stockings x5

Tree skirt

Advent calendar

Fishing game

Table tent

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#6 of 595 Old 01-01-2012, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

I do both as well.. I use the homemade holidays as a way to track my gift giving crafting but I can never stick to just gifts because honestly I have a ton of household projects that need my attention other than gifts..

#7 of 595 Old 01-01-2012, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)

wave.gif

I'm working on 'the list'.

I was very pleased with what I accomplished last year.  52 won't ever happen but I love to see what everyone else is doing and I just crochet along at my own pace and possible do a bit of needlework as well.

This thread keeps me from going overboard with buying yarn and projects that I won't ever complete.

I will post my list in the next couple days.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#8 of 595 Old 01-01-2012, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Zebra- I think our goal this year should be to complete those darn pillowcases.. I think Eeyore is depressing us all gloomy.gif Honestly I would be really happy to get that done and given to the intended recipient sometime in 2012.

#9 of 595 Old 01-01-2012, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'd love to join. Not a lot of unfinished projects I can think of but always lots of one day I will on my list.

The first ones on my list are:

-a small purse for myself that will easily fit in the diaper bag

-curtains for the spare room

-carrier for firewood

-there is a special cross-stitch project I have in mind but I don't think it'll be started this month & even less likely to be done by year's end.

I love the idea of 52 projects & will try but not entirely sure I'll have the time.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#10 of 595 Old 01-01-2012, 09:43 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)

Fifty two; dang why didn't you guys choose twelve!? I think I'm in... this is crazy, but I think I'm in. I did start the Handmade Holidays 2012 thread the day after Christmas so I suppose I should walk the walk.

Okay, so you do guys make a master list of everything you want to do in the year or do you just do a rolling list? And if I understand this correctly it's just 52 projects total and you get ahead by completing stuff and "demerited" for letting it pile up and not get done? Is that right?

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#11 of 595 Old 01-01-2012, 11:45 PM

KQ- there are several ways to do this.  Whatever works for you is good.  I just keep a running list of things I would like to accomplish.  Some of my projects get abandoned, some get modified, other ideas get added to the list.  Its just 'rolling' around here.  

For example I homeschool my 11 yr old. I KNOW there is going to be a Valentine's Day project of 'something' but what or how many is a mystery for a few more weeks.  I won't add that to the list until I get details.   We are part of postcrossings.com and sent out numerous postcards.  I will probably take a point every x cards this year.  Last year I took a point when I finally got around to hanging up some pictures, this was a household task that took me forever to do, but was very simple.

I can not handle demerits.

Clear as mud right??

FWIW  I would prefer 12 projects as well but then it wouldn't be a CHALLENGE  lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

Fifty two; dang why didn't you guys choose twelve!? I think I'm in... this is crazy, but I think I'm in. I did start the Handmade Holidays 2012 thread the day after Christmas so I suppose I should walk the walk.

Okay, so you do guys make a master list of everything you want to do in the year or do you just do a rolling list? And if I understand this correctly it's just 52 projects total and you get ahead by completing stuff and "demerited" for letting it pile up and not get done? Is that right?

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#12 of 595 Old 01-01-2012, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiMom View Post

Zebra- I think our goal this year should be to complete those darn pillowcases.. I think Eeyore is depressing us all gloomy.gif Honestly I would be really happy to get that done and given to the intended recipient sometime in 2012.

I will look for the pillowcase this week.  Part of my projects this year is to organize my projects and my brand new shelving in the closet!  I HAVE SHELVES!!!!  I HAVE BINS!!!!   Its not going to look like the house puked in the living room!!   This is my closet and no one is going to take it away from me - child do you hear me!!

Sunny- thank you for having the 'small space' challenge in December- I joy.gifyou.

#13 of 595 Old 01-02-2012, 12:30 AM

I'm going to try it!

Be back with a longer list <I hope!>

So far:

I need to sew up some pants for my baby with the cool skull sweatshirt fleece I got and a second pair for sale.

Finish curtains for my sewing room--have to find that darn fabric first.

Nightgown for a friend's daughter.

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#14 of 595 Old 01-02-2012, 01:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post

I'd love to join. Not a lot of unfinished projects I can think of but always lots of one day I will on my list.

The first ones on my list are:

-a small purse for myself that will easily fit in the diaper bag

-curtains for the spare room

-carrier for firewood

-there is a special cross-stitch project I have in mind but I don't think it'll be started this month & even less likely to be done by year's end.

I love the idea of 52 projects & will try but not entirely sure I'll have the time.

I think 52 projects is more like a goal but not one that most of us make.. Good luck on the cross stitch by the way, I think a cross stitch project should count for at least 10 projects, those things take forever and they are a pain after a while :) Or maybe that is my total lack of the ability to concentrate talking.

#15 of 595 Old 01-02-2012, 02:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

I think each person counts a project and demerits in their own way.. I count anything I buy not directly relating to a project I had planned. Like I just bought 5 yards of black fabric and 7 yards of pink to make dresses for me and my daughters.. I don't count it because it was bought for a specific project but if I bought some extra fabric because it was cute hide.gif then it would count. Its a way for me not to buy something that is not planned or needed.

I have a tentative list of things Id like to do for the year separated between gift giving, personal, family and household.. But if you haven't guessed I like to plan, I feel more in control of my time when I have things planned out. I also added home school this year since DD1 is of age to start kindergarten yikes2.gifand there are a few things Id like to do before the beginning of the school year to make things easier during the year.. Like plan the year, make a huge pillow for me to sit on in the front room because Im getting to old to sit on the cold floor etc.

Oh another thing, a lot of people last year included things that weren't crafting but were a huge project in their family. For example, I included a move we did from Japan back stateside, Sunny (where or where is the sunny??) included some projects that had been piled up around the house etc so you are more than welcomed to include household projects that while not crafting were needing to be done.

#16 of 595 Old 01-02-2012, 02:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post

I will look for the pillowcase this week.  Part of my projects this year is to organize my projects and my brand new shelving in the closet!  I HAVE SHELVES!!!!  I HAVE BINS!!!!   Its not going to look like the house puked in the living room!!   This is my closet and no one is going to take it away from me - child do you hear me!!

Sunny- thank you for having the 'small space' challenge in December- I joy.gifyou.

joy.gifThats great! I need to do that when I get everything out of storage and figure out what exactly I have that is still useable. Im worried what everything will be like after 8+ months in storage. Heck I don't even REMEMBER whats in there.

Am I allowed to use another move as a point? Im not looking forward to getting 3 storage units worth of stuff dumped, especially since one of the units is over 5 YEARS old. Dear Mr. Man who sends us places, please stop.

#17 of 595 Old 01-02-2012, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

okimom - I've been in the process of unpacking boxes - some of which have been packed for 10 years! I'm not lying & although a lot of it was given away or chucked I still needed to go through them 'cause I knew there was stuff in there I wanted. It was kind of like a treasure dig though - exciting to open a box & find things I knew I had but hadn't seen in years!

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#18 of 595 Old 01-02-2012, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post

KQ- there are several ways to do this.  Whatever works for you is good.  I just keep a running list of things I would like to accomplish.  Some of my projects get abandoned, some get modified, other ideas get added to the list.  Its just 'rolling' around here.  

For example I homeschool my 11 yr old. I KNOW there is going to be a Valentine's Day project of 'something' but what or how many is a mystery for a few more weeks.  I won't add that to the list until I get details.   We are part of postcrossings.com and sent out numerous postcards.  I will probably take a point every x cards this year.  Last year I took a point when I finally got around to hanging up some pictures, this was a household task that took me forever to do, but was very simple.

I can not handle demerits.

Clear as mud right??

FWIW  I would prefer 12 projects as well but then it wouldn't be a CHALLENGE  lol.

Hahahaha yeah - clear as mud. :-) And I suppose you're right about twelve not being an actual challenge!

Being a compulsive list maker, I think I'm going to compile a master list of everything craft/project-wise that I want to do this year. I've got so many things on Pinterest that I want to do, and so many projects dog eared in books... This year is THE year! Okay, I'm totally motivated. This could be more dangerous than New Year's resolutions. I love that fresh, motivated start of the year feeling. We have to make it last! I too, cannot handle demerits. I want to WIN. Even if I'm only playing against myself. :-)

ETA - and Okimom, I am totally the same way. I am addicting to planning! Now, to put the plans into action.

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#19 of 595 Old 01-02-2012, 08:46 AM

Ok,I'm in!Although,I'm not sure how many things will be unfinished projects instead of just things I need/want to get made.I will also be adding gifts to encourage me to get them done early.

Here's the start of my list:

1.t-shirt hat

2.t-shirt hat

3.doll shoe storage

4.pocket pillow

5.felt sweater bag

5.cardigan(finished)

6.remake slippers(finished)

7.shorts for under my girl's skirts(finished)

8.star garland(finished)

9.car orginizer

10.snack bags(finished)

11.re-do skirt

12.make paper

13.bedroom curtains(finished)

14.living room curtain

15.piano bench cover

16.-20.stepping stones

21.bird bath

22.mittens for my girl

23.slippers for my nephew

24.b-day gift for mom(beach bag?)

25.m-day gift

26.b-day gift for sister

27.b-day gift for daughter

28.storage boxes(ideally I would like to make a whole bunch of these but we'll see what happens since I don't even have a prototype yet.

29.fix stepfather's pants

30.raised bed

31.message board

32.bag for Mary

33.peg people for nephew(finished)

34.beach bag

35.bday gift ss(finished)

36.finish doll cushion

37.pillow cover 

38.house numbers

39.cord keeper

40.mittens for my nephew

41.sweater blanket

42.S&T baby gift(finished)

43.J baby gift

44.Z baby gift

45.v day present for my husband(finished)

46.v day present for my gal(finished)

47.finish husband slippers

48.hooded scarf

49.T baby gift

50.cat bed
51.cat mask(finished)

#20 of 595 Old 01-02-2012, 09:07 AM

I finished one already!

I've been needing to remake my slippers (I swear my feet aren't that different in size.just a weird angle or something)for quite awhile now.I had to tear them apart and start over because I originally made them way too big.

I'm just going to try to ignore that the stripes don't match up.uhg.Oh well,they're warm!

I really should go work on curtains but I find that soooo boring.But my daughter is happily playing checkers with my husband so now would be a good time.ok,here I go....

#21 of 595 Old 01-02-2012, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Im not a fan of making or hanging curtains either. Probably why I have a sheet tacked up in my window bag.gif I might want to get the curtains actually made and hung BEFORE my husband gets home.. Might be a good idea orngbiggrin.gif

#22 of 595 Old 01-02-2012, 11:12 AM

Okay, I have made my list. This will be a dangerous game, indeed. I put every possible thing I want/need to do in the next year on it. I ended up with 56, so I weeded out the craziest, most impractical ones (like the furniture project that requires a scroll saw that we do not own) and got it to 52. Then I categorized everything that has to be done by a specific time. Then I organized it by whether it's for a holiday, a Christmas gift, or just for me. There's a lot of me stuff on it, but in all fairness a lot of that stuff is really for our home. Everything that doesn't have a month assigned I can just choose off the list depending upon what I have the supplies for and feel like working on in a given week. And I put my inspiration links in for fun too. :-) So, here goes - 

House slippers January Me
Circle scarf January Me
Travel tissue case January Me
Scrapbook paper seed envelopes January Me
Valentine's Day postcards February Holiday
Embroidered stationary birthday cards February Holiday
4th of July flag bunting June Me
4th of July pinwheels June Me
Halloween costume for the baby September Holiday
Spiderweb skirt for Halloween September Holiday
Snapfish photo calendar November Christmas gift
Snapfish Christmas cards November Christmas gift
Fanny pack/belt bag TBD Me
Dinosaur hat TBD Christmas gift
Magnetic paper dolls TBD Christmas gift
Lion stuffed animal TBD Christmas gift
Gorilla stuffed animal TBD Christmas gift
Kitchen knife roll TBD Me
Jelly jar shelf TBD Me
Patchwork table runner TBD Me
Apron TBD Me
A-line skirt TBD Me
Coming home from the hospital outfit shadow box TBD Me
Wedding/honeymoon scrapbook TBD Me
CD wallet scrapbook TBD Christmas gift
Tote bag TBD Me
Cold frame for the window box planter TBD Me
Portable spice rack TBD Me
Pour spout mason jars TBD Me
Gold glittered deer TBD Holiday
Travel cosmetics case TBD Me
Tile coasters TBD Me
Pattern piece lampshade for sewing desk TBD Me
Embroidery hoop pocket organizer TBD Me
Scrapbook paper pattern envelopes TBD Me
Diamond quilt - cut blocks TBD Me
Diamond quilt - piece horizontal TBD Me
Diamond quilt - piece vertical TBD Me
Diamond quilt - assemble quilt TBD Me
Diamond quilt - quilt/topstich TBD Me
Laminated kitchen helper magnets TBD Me
Change purse TBD Me
Crocheted ice skate ornaments TBD Christmas gift
Glittered paper leaf wreath TBD Me
Cookie cutter Christmas wreath TBD Me
Shutterfly photo story book TBD Christmas gift
Christmas gift for nieces - TBD TBD Christmas gift
Christmas gift for son - TBD TBD Christmas gift
Christmas gift for husband - TBD TBD Christmas gift
Christmas gift for husband - TBD TBD Christmas gift
Stocking stuffers for son - TBD TBD Christmas gift
Stocking stuffers for husband - TBD TBD Christmas gift

OkiMom and gardenbelle like this.

#23 of 595 Old 01-02-2012, 11:12 AM

Ha!I finished the pair for the bedroom but let myself get easily distracted before doing the pair for the dining room.ugh.I really should do a pair for the dining room.

#24 of 595 Old 01-02-2012, 11:19 AM

Happy New Year, Mamas!  It's nice to see so many new folks on this thread; i look forward to getting to "know" you all!  Hi, rere, WTG on claiming the first point! thumb.gif

The great thing about having done this challenge for a few years now is that I no longer have a ton of UFOs!  I use the thread more as incentive to just go ahead and finish new projects (and claim the points!) i start rather than accumulating a new half- finished pile. 

i do have a few, though!  i started a diaper bag a few days ago.  i finished the outside and went and bought lining fabric (and 5 more yards of interfacing- i can't believe how quickly i go through that stuff).  But for the last 2 days I have had to work mess management and laundry and run interference between the kids, so I haven't been able to get in there at all.  I am hoping to get it done tonight, but not holding my breath!  Thank Goodness school starts back tomorrow!

I also bought backing fabric to finish a quilt I pieced together years ago.  I finished most of the quilt tops on my rack last year, but there are I think three more.  And I need to finish the brown knit dress that has been hanging on my dressform for several months unfinished.

I guess it is a tradition now for me to get my sewing room ALL cleaned and sparkly pretty before the new year. love.gif  It's the nicest room in my house right now!  I can't tell ya'll how badly I want to go in there and get to work, but these kids are pretty wild today and I am STILL not done with Mt. Laundry, lol.

Mama to 3 boys 

#25 of 595 Old 01-02-2012, 11:55 AM

I'm in. Although I think I will need to break up the big project into numerous small ones, because it's too overwhelming.

#26 of 595 Old 01-02-2012, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Heh. OK, I'm game. I already made a New Year's Resolution to do one Pinterest-inspired project a week, so some of these can double up as that. And I reserve the right to make up my own rules. :p

I have a TON of UFOs, although most of them are technically unstarted objects... as in, I have the fabric and/or the pattern and/or good intentions. Some of them are clothes for me which are waiting for me to finish losing weight; some are clothes for me which are waiting for my sewing/pattern-drafting skills to miraculously improve; and some are clothes for the kids which are waiting for the right season to roll around.

Here's my list of planned/UFO objects:

1. Green fleece pyjamas for DD (UFO)

2. 1950s polka dot dress with nursing adaptation for me

3. Slinky black nightie for me

4. Ankle-length swirly coat for me

5. Grey nursing dress for me

6. Fixing up my boots with new ribbon/cord

7. DD's summer quilt (UFO)

8. DS's floor quilt mat thingy to lie on (UFO)

9. Alphabet magnets for DD (UFO)

10. Underbust corset for me

11. Manly apron for DH (UFO)

12. Sailor outfit for DS

13. Aviator cap for DS

14. Elephant overalls for DS

15. Beige shirt for DS (UFO)

16. Painting the living room

17. Painting DD's room

18. Painting the bathroom

19. Painting the kitchen

20. Rigging up a tension wire or something along porch and growing a climbing plant up it

21. Painting the back door

22. Setting up an attractive computer/work station for me, including storage for (future) homeschooling materials, work folders etc

23. Pinboard/whiteboard/art display board thing for DD (Pinterest)

24. Hula hoop mosquito net-style tent for DD's room (Pinterest)

25. New Christmas stockings

26. Christmas tree skirt (Pinterest)

27. New duvet for me and DH (Pinterest, if I do the ruffly one)

28. New curtains for living room

29. Tweedy coat for DD

30. New "Gnome Girl" pinafore for DD, for winter

31. Cabled-owl face cloths/dishcloths for MIL (for birthday or Christmas)

32. Some kind of ugly-fireplace-disguising thing - a screen, fake surround or something

33. New cushions for living room

34. Paint laundry

35. Tuxedo bib for DS, for friend's wedding

36. Rest of outfit for DS for friend's wedding

37. Green spotty dress for DD

38. Yellow dress for DD from hand-me-down dress with nice fabric

39. Winter top/s for DD from Ottobre

40. Utility skirt for me

41. Red jersey dress for me

42. Beautiful fairy-inspired dress for me, made with sheers and lacy fabrics which I bought at great expense and then got too scared to sew

43. Turning DD's old jeans into shorts (UFO)

Sigh. And even if I get all that done this year, I'll still have plenty of wool and fabric in my stash that I bought for ill-defined reasons. And plenty of these will take me way longer than a week. And that doesn't even include presents - I was vaguely wanting to buy and "renovate" an old dollhouse for DD's birthday, and make homemade gifts for the nephews and DS and everyone.

The house-renovation stuff is there because we're moving into a new rental in two weeks (ulp). The landlords are really nice - we know them - and don't mind us painting, and the house is kinda run down and skungy, but the location is GORGEOUS (the middle of an apple orchard!) and the rent is ridiculously cheap, so I'm determined to make it as nice as possible and live there as long as possible while we save up to buy a home. Right now the living room is a garish green, so that's the top priority; but really, the whole house could use a paint job.  And I have tons of work to do on the garden, although not really the kind of thing I can mark off as accomplished, gardens being sort of never-ending in terms of weeding and planting and such.

Well. Speaking of all that, I guess I'd better do a bit more work on DD's quilt top before the baby wakes up!

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#27 of 595 Old 01-02-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaofprincesses View Post

I'm in. Although I think I will need to break up the big project into numerous small ones, because it's too overwhelming.

Oh yeah, I broke a quilt project into five weekly sessions. While it would be completely awesome to just bang out a quilt in a week, I know it is Just. Not. Going. To. Happen. Ever. Better to set myself up for some modicum of success. 

#28 of 595 Old 01-02-2012, 05:21 PM

I think I'm going to give this a shot this year. I have lots of projects in mind (not sure if I'll get to 52) but I will have to take some time to write out my list. I'll be back to update...

wash.gifMommy to my little Nugget bouncy.gifribboncesarean.gif 

144/2014 items decluttered   2/52 projects completed

#29 of 595 Old 01-02-2012, 06:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
While it would be completely awesome to just bang out a quilt in a week, I know it is Just. Not. Going. To. Happen. Ever.

I used to read a blog in which the woman routinely said things like "Here's a crib quilt I whipped up this weekend while watching all the Anne of Green Gables movies". I consoled myself by telling myself I didn't like her colour combinations, but yikes, she was seriously productive.

Went to Spotlight today and got some more fabric for DD's quilt. On huge clearance, I got some beautiful quilting cotton for $4.79 a metre! So I got 5 metres of one colour for backing the quilt, rather than just getting cheap dress cotton like I'd planned. Unfortunately they had next to nothing in the dusky/vintagey colour of pink I need, so I'll need to go out again sometime to a fancier quilting shop. Still, I have plenty to go on with!

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#30 of 595 Old 01-02-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

I used to read a blog in which the woman routinely said things like "Here's a crib quilt I whipped up this weekend while watching all the Anne of Green Gables movies". I consoled myself by telling myself I didn't like her colour combinations, but yikes, she was seriously productive.

Oh god, I know! I still read one like that - her projects are just amazing. She'll do, say, a change purse - but she'll make a dozen in a sitting, which takes her maybe a half hour. How is that even possible!? It would take me the entire half hour just to get the zipper pinned in the correct position...  

Tags
Arts And Crafts

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page