New Baby, New Diaper Making! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-01-2012, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our first was in disposables, our second exclusively cloth (which I made). Our 3rd baby is due this summer and I want diapers that are completely natural.

I've been working on a wool soakers pattern, which I really like. I plan to knit 6 wool soakers, 25 cotton/bamboo contour diapers and 25 raw silk stay dry layers.

I'm so excited for these! I know where to get my yarn, just waiting for the financial availability.

Has anyone under taken a project like this?

Crunchy mom of three great kids and one on the way!

DD May 2007 **** DS February 2010 **** DD August 2012**** ?? Oct/Nov 2014

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2012, 11:30 AM

I sewed the diapers for DS3.  However I don't like them and quit using them.  Well I like them but they just didn't hold up nearly as well as I think they should have and I am not sure why....  

You are knitting them all?  That is awesome!  I have silk liners somewhere and I kind of forgot about them- I might have to look for those....

I love love love wool covers!  That is about all I use anymore.  SO much better than having leaks and they are not hot at all...

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

Old 01-23-2012, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I really loved the first set of diapers I made. They did a great job, but used diaper pins. I had no issue with them, but dh still has a hard time almost 2 years later. So I wanted to make some that were easier on both of us.

I got really frustrated with my knit wool soaker pattern and decided to just sew the wool soakers and the fitteds. I haven't decided if I will sew or knit the silk liners... I decided to use Darling Diapers Unlimited pattern to make side snap wool soakers. Here are "action shots" of my current progress.

4a51162b-db0d-e4b7.jpgDrawing out the pattern on my felted wool fabric.

4a51162b-db54-7686.jpg The fabric I had on hand was enough to make 4 newborn size. Here they are cut out.

4a51162b-db97-4b56.jpg Some of the snaps are in and right side are sewn together. Next step will be to tack in the elastic, turn and top stitch, add the final snaps then lanolize!

I'll use this pattern for the OS fitted diapers: http://littlebeanbum.blogspot.com/2009/09/how-to-make-one-size-fitted-pocket.html

I don't think they'll fit in the newborn diapers, but I have some old contour diapers I received from my grandma, I can use then.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:11 AM

Looks great lactomom!

We have a bunch of RRPs, mostly just all flannel.  My mom modified the pattern so we have them in all sizes, since I don't think the original pattern fit tiny babies that well.  I've never been happy with any of the homemade covers, so I usually use store bought.   I recently got a pair of snap pliers and I am eager to try them out. 

Mama to three

Old 01-24-2012, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole730 View Post

Looks great lactomom!

We have a bunch of RRPs, mostly just all flannel.  My mom modified the pattern so we have them in all sizes, since I don't think the original pattern fit tiny babies that well.  I've never been happy with any of the homemade covers, so I usually use store bought.   I recently got a pair of snap pliers and I am eager to try them out. 

Thanks. I really enjoy the covers (fleece) I made the first time. They have done an awesome job over the last 2 years. I didn't get snaps put on most of them because it took forever and the diaper pins made it easier to prevent legged gaping (just his shape).

The side snap have fewer snaps and easier to adjust the leg separate from the waist. My main reason for the wool covers is needing so few. Travel was a pain, because our diaper bag was huge. This should be much trimmer.

I need to get started on the 30 os pocket fitteds!

User Tag List