can't make a doll t shirt - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-03-2012, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello.  My dd received an 18 inch doll for Christmas.  The clothing is pricey, about $30 per outfit (at least $10 or more for knock off clothes from other stores).  I have tons of fabric and patterns but the t shirts are just NOT working for me.  I have cut and sewn at least 4 shirts already using different patterns/tutorials and not one fits right.  Does anyone have any suggestions for me?  Perhaps a tutorial that might be easy to follow?  Thanks!

momma to 8 yr old ddjoy.gif.  Furmom to our menagerie:   2dog2.gif , 1cat.gif, 2 goldfish.gif,  2 hamster.jpg,  and 1 silly rabbit. 

#2 of 3 Old 01-04-2012, 05:42 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Dolls clothes patterns seem hard to find. However I find premature sized baby clothes fit our dolls well and there are more patterns available.

I think our dolls are 16 inches and we use clothes for 5 - 7lb. They are sometimes a bit large, especially since our dolls nappies are not as bulky as a real one would be but it makes them a little easier to put on.

I've made a few clothes from patterens here

http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/preemies.html

I've also used the patterns on this site for inspiration though they needed scaling down to fit the dolls

http://babypatterns.atspace.com/overview.html

#3 of 3 Old 03-17-2012, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I made up my own pattern based on a pattern for a boy's t-shirt just to get a sense of the shape.  You'll have to take measurements (circ. of arms and chest, width of shoulders, etc) and then use the shape of the pattern as a guide.  I also had to cut a slit in the back and then make the collar part longer and put a snap on it at the back to keep the shirt closed so that the doll's head would fit through.  DS's doll is a 15' waldorf doll (Joy's Waldorf Dolls Pattern) that DH and I made, so I think that what you need in terms of a pattern depends on the type of doll, because head size and body shape will be different for each type.  

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

Tags
Dolls

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page