Anyone seen these dolls? Im in LOVE with these - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-19-2012, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Check out the beautiful dolls I found online:

http://www.mamamordolls.com/index2.php#/home/

Im especially fond of the birth dolls- but, I would love one of each.

I would really love to try my hand at making a similar doll for each of my kids. But I have NEVER made a cloth, hand made doll. I am into the reborning buisness, and its very enjoyable- but i would Really Really love to make a doll like this, fully by hand for my children.

I want to make a doll that does the whole sha-bang. Breastfeeding, Babywearing, Cute, earthy clothes, yarn hair ( that looks like dreads! ) and of course birthing. In my case I would make a VBAC doll.

Any ideas/ patters for getting started? Im a bit overwhelmed with the idea, but very excited to try it!

novaxnocirc.gif   lactivist.gif   gd.gif  uc.jpg  femalesling.GIF cd.gif    modifiedartist.gif    read.gif    

Magickal Mama to DD (6) & DS (3). Soul mate to DH. 

#2 of 11 Old 01-19-2012, 06:22 PM

Well now I want one too! And I think it is far beyond my sewwing capabilities. Sorry I'm no help!

Kaya (29) + Laume (31) = ds Kanoa (8) and dd Zia (2)

#3 of 11 Old 01-20-2012, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

I believe that theyre far beyond my capabilities as well! But im feeling rather adventurous and would love to give one a go! Hopefully I will come up with some ideas soon. Im itchin' to get stichin' twins.gif. Lol.

novaxnocirc.gif   lactivist.gif   gd.gif  uc.jpg  femalesling.GIF cd.gif    modifiedartist.gif    read.gif    

#4 of 11 Old 02-01-2012, 11:24 AM

They are so beautiful!  I think it would be hard to replicate, but you could probably come up with your own version by piecing together patterns. 

Married since 4/2004 treehugger.gif mom to DSkid.gif6/2008, DD bf.gif 4/2010 and one on the way.  52 project challenge: 16/52

#5 of 11 Old 02-04-2012, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

I know, they are amazing and very OOAK. I would like to come up with my own rather than copy theres to a T. Of course, I would like them to still be able to go through all of the phases of motherhood- like the ones on the site, but I dont think I want mine to look exactly like theirs. Theyre so beautiful. I hope that I can come up with something similar atleast.

#6 of 11 Old 02-06-2012, 07:14 AM

I'm now in love with those dolls too! love.gif Though, I wouldn't even know where to begin to make one so I have no advice, sorry.

wash.gifMommy to my little Nugget bouncy.gifribboncesarean.gif 

144/2014 items decluttered   2/52 projects completed

#7 of 11 Old 02-06-2012, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Its been awhile since I first laid my eyes on them...and I still have NO idea where to really begin. Maybe I will save up some cash and just buy one for myself...eventually. I love them so very much..i cant wait to have one!luxlove.gif

Both DD and DS want one and have already 'designed' theirs. I hear about it ATLEAST twice a week now. Lol.

#8 of 11 Old 02-06-2012, 10:50 AM

There are a lot of standard waldorf doll patterns and kits out there, and the ones I've tried have been very good about instructions. From that base, it wouldn't be too hard to augment the pattern to allow for birthing and breastfeeding. (rather, it would be a tricky crafting issue, but a lot easier than starting from scratch)

The breastfeeding, actually, is pretty easy: snaps on the mama and the baby.

#9 of 11 Old 02-06-2012, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thats what I was thinking: maybe starting with a Waldorf pattern and going from there. Im pretty sure making the doll into a birthing doll wouldnt be to complicated..and neither would making the matching baby or placenta. And like you said, of course, the breastfeeding would be a super easy part. I also plan on making a sling for each of the dolls as well a little cloth diapers for the babies  and some custom clothes for the mama doll, if possible.

Im really in love with the hair on the mama amor dolls. Making hair similar for my dolls has me stumped. Would I just buy yarn in colors i want and then sew the individual yarn strips in the dolls head, layering as I went to give more of a realistic effect? Hmm. Not sure about the hair at all. Anyone have any ideas on how to go about giving my dolls beautiful yarn hair similar to the mama amor dolls?

#10 of 11 Old 02-07-2012, 06:53 PM

well.  i would start with a waldorf 16-18" pattern- which you could do a lot with clothes.  to me it looks like they used 2 layers for the front of the mama doll- and that is were the baby is.  i think if you put an elastic casing at the bottom of the outer layer it would work well.  All the dolls I have made I crocheted a little cap out of mohair and sewed that on and you attach the yarn hair strands to that.  A good doll kit will explain that.  I have used several Dancing Rain Doll kits- but I am not sure if they are still in business- Weir dolls is another good choice.  Good Luck and I would love to see what you come up with!  

Oh- once you see the pattern you will know what I am talking about- but I would make the outer front of the body a little bigger than the inner front.  That way you could stuff some boobs in and have a bit of room for the baby.  The trick is to get them stuffed really hard with wool- because otherwise they get really floppy.  Stuffing with wool is not like stuffing with polyfill. 

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#11 of 11 Old 02-08-2012, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much! You information helped me BIG TIME.  I am looking at a few dolls kits right now. I cant wait to try one.

I will post pictures when I have completed the dolly, or maybe step by step pictures, to show my progress.  Once I have ordered or found the pattern and have the doll kit and have begun, I will start posting.  Im sure as soon as the kit gets here, im going to tear into it like no tomorrow! twins.gif

Pics to come soon!  joy.gif

Tags
Dolls

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page