Ultra thin nylon fabric? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-19-2012, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm hoping some one here can help me out. I've bought two sets of cloth pads from Luna Pads which I absolutely love. I'd like more but money is tight right now. I have decent sewing skills and I'd like to make some of my own to bulk out my supply. Which brings me to the question of what the heck is ultra thin nylon? Can I pick some up at joanns? 

The pad construction is a base of 2 layers of cotton fabric, "1 layer of ultra-thin nylon to minimize soaking through" and a top layer of cotton fleece. 

I was also curious if a similar construction would work for cloth diapers?

Thanks ahead of time to anyone who can help me out.

Wife to a wonderful man, not a mommy yet but looking forward to when we are ready. 
"Love isn't something you find. Love is something that finds you." Loretta Young
#2 of 3 Old 01-22-2012, 07:43 PM

Im gonna go ahead and make an educated guess that this is PUL fabric.  (Polyurethane Laminate)  it is quite thin, is used in Luna pads, also in cloth diapers, and is waterproof.  They do sell it at Joanns - usually around $9 - 10 / yd  (54")

it can be machine washed and dried - it would work perfectly as the barrier layer for Luna pads.   I think these will be fairly simple to make at home - but you will most likely need velcro or snaps to keep the "wings"  together  - that might be more costly than the fabric! 

as for the top you could use old sweatshirt fleece, old towel terry cloth, any sort of flannel -

The PUL will be the bottom layer so you dont soak through - i think 1/2 yard would get you at least 6 - 8 large pads. 

(and dont forget to use the Joanns coupons!!)    good luck!

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

#3 of 3 Old 01-23-2012, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks motherhendoula! I picked some up along with some fleece, I'm making a baby blanket and some burp cloths for a friend and needed some anyways. I did remember my coupons and saved about $7. The PUL was about 11 dollars a yard, but I only needed a thin strip, six inches will get me 3-4 regular and 2 long. Now I just need to experiment with my zigzag stitch and I should be good. 

Wife to a wonderful man, not a mommy yet but looking forward to when we are ready. 
"Love isn't something you find. Love is something that finds you." Loretta Young

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page