How to create your own pattern - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-19-2012, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

is there anything online about how to draw and create your own pattern. i dont want a pattern. i want tips of how to create my own patterns.

i learnt how to make my patterns 10 years ago and dont remember the nitty gritty.

is there a place online that will show you how to create and make a simple pattern. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 01-20-2012, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I like this blog.  http://www.ikatbag.com/2010_07_01_archive.html 

Chris

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
#3 of 7 Old 01-20-2012, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

oh thank you so much. that is exactly what i was looking for. 

so what i was looking for was drafting right?

if you are making clothes for your child, do you make a basic sloper out of muslin and then adapt it to the style of dress you are making - until they outgrow those measurements of course. 

have you ever drawn the pattern directly on the cloth itself completely bypassing the paper? that's how i used to do it. after i had done a rouch pencil sketch of the design i wanted. i guess i would do that after i had practised on paper before. 

but i want to get to the place where i have a design in mind, get the measurements and then draw it directly on the cloth. do you do that?

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#4 of 7 Old 01-21-2012, 01:03 PM

With kids, I draft the basic sloper (also called a foundation or block) in paper and make a set of basic patterns then change the style and add embellishments and decorations when I cut out each garment.  I'll then keep the patterns until they outgrow them.  Then do the process all over again.  SInce their measurements change, there is no point in making the sloper out of heavy paper.  My personal sloper is made from heavy paper so I can trace it to make the different styles.

You might also look for pattern making books in your library, used book store, local college, and Amazon.  The 2 I use the most are Patternmaking for Fashion Design (I have the 4th edition) and Pattern Making by the Flat Pattern Method (4th edition)

Chrishttp://www.amazon.com/dp/0136069347/ref=asc_df_01360693471868344?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=0136069347

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_27?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=pattern+making+by+the+flat+pattern+method+8th+edition&sprefix=pattern+making+by+the+flat+%2Cstripbooks%2C361

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
#5 of 7 Old 01-21-2012, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

DUH!!! thanks for the book recommendations. never even thought of it. i've put one on hold and the other i have to go in and check. 

#6 of 7 Old 01-22-2012, 03:27 PM

I prefer books over the internet or videos.  The library is my first thought.  Then Amazon to buy the books I want to own.

#7 of 7 Old 05-12-2012, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sewchris2642 View Post

I like this blog.  http://www.ikatbag.com/2010_07_01_archive.html 

Chris

oooohhhh

this is awesome!

Thanks sewchris2642 and op!

User Tag List