Favorite trainer pattern? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-28-2012, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Has anyone made cloth trainers?  I'm looking for a pattern with a side snaps and PUL - so one we can pull up and down, but unsnap if there is poo.  I think I'd prefer a pocket, but it's not necessary.  DD is a tiny little peanut, around 22lbs and 31 inches.  Her 2T underwear from the store just hang on her.  Thanks for any suggestions!

Mama to three

#2 of 8 Old 02-16-2012, 07:40 PM

this isnt the pattern - but i LOVE these!  http://www.nickisdiapers.com/grovia-my-choice-training-pants.html

OK - i should say i THINK i will love these!  that design looks like it would totally work - my LO is the opposite - he is 42 lbs and only 18 months...i need to start training him now because he has grown out of every diaper (short of homemade) 

i havent found a pattern for these yet - but it looks fairly simple to follow. 

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

#3 of 8 Old 02-16-2012, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by motherhendoula View Post

this isnt the pattern - but i LOVE these!  http://www.nickisdiapers.com/grovia-my-choice-training-pants.html

OK - i should say i THINK i will love these!  that design looks like it would totally work - my LO is the opposite - he is 42 lbs and only 18 months...i need to start training him now because he has grown out of every diaper (short of homemade) 

i havent found a pattern for these yet - but it looks fairly simple to follow. 

I have a friend with a bigger boy and she used the Ansty Pants - which look really similar to those ones.  My mom did try to sew me up a few similar to he Ansty Pants, but they didn't work too well, I think the fleece on the inside was too thick or something.  We might try some more, I don't need a stay dry inner liner, but when sewing my own I like it just in case the legs don't roll the right way.  I'm going to the Nicki's Diaper store this weekend, so I will check out those grovia ones.  I heard that there are some Best Bottoms trainers coming out soon too (probably too small for you guy...) and I was hoping those might be in store for me to check out.  Most of my diaper stash is homemade, but I do have some used regular diapers I've bought - I just hate paying full price!  And I have to say, holy moly on the 42lbs, I can't even imagine!!  You must have some super strong arms. :)

Mama to three

#4 of 8 Old 02-17-2012, 06:56 PM

LOL - yeah, i limit the amount of carrying i do - its actually kind of sad because i was really loving baby  wearing and he has outgrown everything....i do have a hard frame back pack - but i only wear him when i CANT take the stroller - even my DH can only wear him for 30 min or so...

those Antsy Pants do look similar - the pattern seems simple - if i find something i will forward it to you...

You have a whole STORE you can GO to that carries cloth diapers??????    i live in Long Island - where only about 1 in 100 mothers even realize that cloth diapers still exist.  I have never seen a cloth diaper in ANY store - i just cant wrap my brain around a whole store dedicated to cloth diapers -  jaw2.gif

thats amazing!

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

#5 of 8 Old 02-17-2012, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

The store is amazing! It is a one and a half hour drive though, so not super close. I will keep you in mind if I ever come across a pattern like that also.

Mama to three

#6 of 8 Old 02-17-2012, 08:00 PM

Oh my gosh, I LOVE my trainers that I made using this tinkle time trainer pattern!  We EC DS and so the first "set" I made were a size small, and fit when he was 7 mos old to 1 year or so.  I then made another set in size medium, which at 19 mos, 24lbs still fit very well.  I think the size medium would fit your DD as well.  They are fairly adjustable as well, by how tight you do the fold over elastic.  I didn't do snaps, as we very very rarely had poop misses from 6 mos on, so just didn't need to.  I also have to say they were SO easy to sew.  I hadn't sewn a thing since grade 8 and managed to make these (only the first pair was a bit of a disaster. After that, they were a breeze).  And they've held up very well.  I have 10 pairs I made that have been in constant circulation since 12 mos (so for almost 7 mos) and they are still holding up great.

I ordered my fabric from kids in the garden and was happy with the quality.  We used a PUL outer, a bamboo diaper flannel liner (2 layers, but with an older DD I would suggest 3 layers) and in the first set I used bamboo velour for a liner.  I would recommend against the bamboo valour for 2 reasons.  1, it is harder to sew with as it is a stretch fabric, and 2, it wicks moisture away from the skin which is good with a diaper but bad with a trainer as you want DD to feel wet if she pees in the trainer.  I'd recommend just using a flannel liner.  I actually up-cycled some of DHs old PJ pants for that with great success.  I LOVED how soft the bamboo velour felt, it just isn't best suited to your purpose.

I can't say enough about the trainers, I love them!  

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#7 of 8 Old 02-18-2012, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstewart View Post

Oh my gosh, I LOVE my trainers that I made using this tinkle time trainer pattern!  We EC DS and so the first "set" I made were a size small, and fit when he was 7 mos old to 1 year or so.  I then made another set in size medium, which at 19 mos, 24lbs still fit very well.  I think the size medium would fit your DD as well.  They are fairly adjustable as well, by how tight you do the fold over elastic.  I didn't do snaps, as we very very rarely had poop misses from 6 mos on, so just didn't need to.  I also have to say they were SO easy to sew.  I hadn't sewn a thing since grade 8 and managed to make these (only the first pair was a bit of a disaster. After that, they were a breeze).  And they've held up very well.  I have 10 pairs I made that have been in constant circulation since 12 mos (so for almost 7 mos) and they are still holding up great.

I ordered my fabric from kids in the garden and was happy with the quality.  We used a PUL outer, a bamboo diaper flannel liner (2 layers, but with an older DD I would suggest 3 layers) and in the first set I used bamboo velour for a liner.  I would recommend against the bamboo valour for 2 reasons.  1, it is harder to sew with as it is a stretch fabric, and 2, it wicks moisture away from the skin which is good with a diaper but bad with a trainer as you want DD to feel wet if she pees in the trainer.  I'd recommend just using a flannel liner.  I actually up-cycled some of DHs old PJ pants for that with great success.  I LOVED how soft the bamboo velour felt, it just isn't best suited to your purpose.

I can't say enough about the trainers, I love them!  

I love the way the tinkle time trainers look too, but both DH and I were not comfortable with putting our bank account info.  Is there a different way to pay?  It looked like paypal was an option (which we'd also have to set up), but when I went to the order screen it asked for all the bank info. :(

Mama to three

#8 of 8 Old 02-18-2012, 07:04 PM

I don't know to be honest...I have paypal.  It's pretty fast and easy to set up pay pal.  You could also just send an email to their contact info asking the question.  I think I had a question about sizing when I ordered the pattern and the owner responded to me directly.

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

Tags
Diaper Making

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page