i need some help. i want to make contoured newborn diapers with elastic in the legs that i close with snappis out of old t shirts. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-31-2012, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i basically need a pattern. cant find one i like. i also need to know how many layers to make it. and any other advice. i have never made diapers before. i have made other things and feel that i am pretty good at making my own pattern for things i need. but i am not sure where to start here. i do have until june to get these made. but i would like to get started soon. anybody have any advice or help for me :)

i was also thinking of making wraps or buying second hand wraps. i would use aplix on them. 

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#2 of 10 Old 02-02-2012, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

bump!! anyone? 

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#3 of 10 Old 02-02-2012, 09:39 AM

I like the pattern from diaper kit.  I think it is like $6 but is a diaper and cover pattern.  I made them out of diaper flannel and terry doublers and  velcro.   I think Snappis only work on Prefold type fabric though- so like a million layers.  What you might consider instead is buying Prefolds and converting those to fitted diapers- somewhere online is a tutorial- it used to be a sticky...  I made a whole bunch of those and put velcro on them- then realized I just really like Prefolds rather than pre fold fitted.  Verybaby.com has some nice organic cotton/bamboo fabric that makes lovely doublers- which might help.  

I personally love wool covers.  In fact I have lots of bummis and random pul covers and we either go without or wool.  Even in the summer when you would think they would be horrid- they are very breathable.  If you are going to do pul covers- you can get the pul at either hobby lobby or joanns and with a 40% off coupon- it would be pretty affordable.

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#4 of 10 Old 02-02-2012, 09:39 AM

dude!  Where are you at?  Central?  I am in NC Iowa...

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#5 of 10 Old 02-03-2012, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter

i live in the cedar rapids iowa city area.

it has to be out of tshirts. i cant afford to buy more diapers. the only size i dont have is newborn. i have a ton of old tshirts that dh and ds outgrew that will be perfect for it. i can put velcro on the if needed. 

#6 of 10 Old 02-03-2012, 12:08 PM

you could try the snappy on them- but I think you will have to go with velcro.  Bummer on the distance.  I would love to have a real life MDC friend.  

#7 of 10 Old 02-03-2012, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

i will have to experiment with the snappis.

it is nice to have irl mdc friends. i dont have any lol, but i do have irl friends who would fit in. 

#8 of 10 Old 02-08-2012, 07:51 PM

A snappi will work with a tshirt diaper. I love tshirt diapers, they are so cozy! The ones I made are two full diaper layers and then like 8 layers down the middle soaker area. For newborn diapers I have some traced from a sposie and some from a smaller version of a rita rump diaper. There is another free pattern I like, Cloth Revolution I believe is the title. I also bought the Babyville book from JoAnn, but I have not made anything from it yet. There are a lot of patterns in there:-)and it was like $10, with a coupon. I am for sure going to make some PUL covers from the Babyville book with fold over elastic and babyville snaps.
LionessMom likes this.

Mama to three

#9 of 10 Old 02-08-2012, 08:41 PM

Here's the Rita's Rump link:

http://handmadebyrita.blogspot.com/

Here's the Cloth Revolution link:

http://themafiatutu.blogspot.com/2010/04/free-cloth-diaper-pattern.html

I think this is the link I used for the t-shirt diapers:

http://fernandfaerie.com/sewing_fitteds.html

I prefer using diaper pins over snappi's - we store the pins in a bar of soap and they slide right in with no problems.  If you get the Dritz brand diaper pins, they have an extra locking mechanism.

LionessMom likes this.

Mama to three

#10 of 10 Old 02-09-2012, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter

thanks! those are great links! iam geting excited about making these.

Tags
Diaper Making

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page