What am I doing wrong??? (Crochet question) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-13-2012, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm working on a Waldorf doll and am trying to knit the cap for the hair.  I'm brand new to crochet - I learned how via youtube last week.  I am using mohair, and the type used to make curly hair on the Waldorf dolls (which I learned after receiving my order is the hardest type to use nut.gif).  Anyway, my issue is this - I've tried doing the cap twice, and my cap is coming out in a saddle shape!  Same problem both times!  is it me, or the material?  I only did part of the first one, then un-did my work (I had done maybe 5 or 6 rows) and am now having problems with the second one too!  What am I doing?!

I'm particularly confused, because my first effort at crochet last week was a hat for the doll (using regular yarn) which turned out beautifully!  Fits its head great, and is a good shape, etc.  I managed it without a pattern, just makign it up as I went, and did the same process here. (I even figured out how to put a brim on the hat, which was neat). 

Anyway, please help!

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2012, 08:57 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)

Saddle shape means you are increasing too much.  A little increase will make the bowl shape you got in your first attempt.  A bit more and you will get a flat disc (like the brim you made).  More and you will get that saddle shape.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
Old 03-12-2012, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post

Saddle shape means you are increasing too much.  A little increase will make the bowl shape you got in your first attempt.  A bit more and you will get a flat disc (like the brim you made).  More and you will get that saddle shape.

Ah, thanks!!

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:56 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstewart View Post

Ah, thanks!!

You're welcome!  This forum is a bit slooooooooow, so sorry for the late reply :)

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."

User Tag List