My Handmade Birth & Breastfeeding doll- Check her out! **PICS!! ** - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-29-2012, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello ladies. I posted awhile back with a link to the mamamordolls website. They also make birth and breastfeeding dolls that wear their babies in slings and such. I fell in love with them from the moment that I laid eyes on them. I was inspired-but I had NEVER made a cloth doll from scratch, much less one with so much detail & function. But I figured since I was good at just about every other from of art from painting to sculpting and everything in between, it was worth a shot.

So, I cleaned out my closet and found an old flesh colored shirt that I didnt wear any more as well as a few others made of pretty fabrics. I made another visit to the mamamor website to take another gander at their beautiful dolls and get a good grasp of what I was aiming for. I didnt want my doll to be an exact copy of their dolls because wheres the fun in that?

Here are the photos of the doll that I made, which DD and I lovingly named Lily.

I made her hair from a mixture of different yarns and stiched them in, one strand at a time. She still isnt 100% finished as I am making her a flower clip for her hair, a necklace, her clothing isnt finished, she will have a sling, the baby will have a placenta and she also needs shoes. The baby will also have a tiny cloth diaper.

I sewed a little pouch for her belly so that she looks pregnant  when the baby is inside and her belly returns to its normal size when the baby is 'born'.

Lily's facial details have also been hand stiched. I also added a few freckels.

I used little metal button clips for her 'nippels' as well as adding areolas. The babys mouth clips to mamas breast with the opposite end of the little metal clip. I wanted her stiching to be external- i think it makes her look more..ragdoll-ish and charming. I free handed the pattern for her body and babys body as well as arms and legs. No sewing machine was used at all- she is 100% hand made and stiched.  Im very proud of her- not bad for a first timer eh?

I will post more pics when she and baby are 100% finished and complete with sling and other goodies listed above.

033.JPG040.JPG

020.JPG

008.JPG

003.JPG

novaxnocirc.gif   lactivist.gif   gd.gif  uc.jpg  femalesling.GIF cd.gif    modifiedartist.gif    read.gif    

Magickal Mama to DD (6) & DS (3). Soul mate to DH. 

#2 of 8 Old 02-29-2012, 01:43 PM

Wow!  That's amazing.  I remember your first post and remember thinking to myself that I just don't have the skills to make something like that so I'm just uber, uber impressed at you and your initiative!

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#3 of 8 Old 02-29-2012, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the positive feed back! I plan on working more on her clothing tonight when the kids are in bed. Hopefully I will have her dress completed and maybe even her sling as well. So you can bet that theyll be more pictures coming soon. Thanks again, Mama for you feed back. It means alot to hear it. joy.gif

novaxnocirc.gif   lactivist.gif   gd.gif  uc.jpg  femalesling.GIF cd.gif    modifiedartist.gif    read.gif    

#4 of 8 Old 02-29-2012, 02:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Wow, that's amazing. I would love to see more pics when she is finished. Not sure if it is my computer or not but some of them are quite blurry and I couldn't see a lot of the detail greensad.gif

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#5 of 8 Old 02-29-2012, 02:58 PM

That is awesome!  Wow!  You did an amazing job :)

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#6 of 8 Old 02-29-2012, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much!  I will be adding more pictures of her and baby soon for sure. No, its not your computer..it is my digital camera. Between the children and myself it has been dropped many times, not to mention it is old. Its seen better days. Maybe the next batch of photos will turn out a little better..or maybe when DH finds a job I will be able to get myself a new camera and post pictures of all of my art work and everyone will get to see all of the little details. These pictures just dont do her full justice, thats for sure.

Sorry for the poor quality but thanks a million for the positive feed back!

#7 of 8 Old 02-29-2012, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Mama! I have tons of other birth art as well including paintings, drawings and clay sculptures- some of which are fairy mamas. heartbeat.gif

#8 of 8 Old 02-29-2012, 03:30 PM

that is really cool! amazing job- can't wait to see more pics.

Tags
Dolls

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page