Best adhesive for use with leather? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-12-2012, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son saw some leather journals at Barnes and Noble, but they cost close to $30.  I think I can make something similar at home.  I have a moleskine and I bought an old, leather skirt at Goodwill.  

At first, I thought I might just sew a book cover that he could slip moleskines into, but I'm not sure my sewing machine could handle sewing through leather.  So now I just want to glue a piece of leather to the outside of the journal.  

I have modge podge, but I was wondering if rubber cement might be better?  Any suggestions or ideas?

#2 of 4 Old 03-12-2012, 08:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)

I would find (if you can!!!) a shoemaker and have them stitch it together - you cut it out and tell them where you want it done

long term glue might not hold but if you are looking for a clue- try a shoe glue-one made for leather or a good craft glue that says for leather- some could discolor the leather if not made for leather 

Tandy has stuff you might want to think about - http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/search/site+search+results.aspx?sectionpath=3&processor=content&p_keyword=glue

the other option would be to find a mill sewing machine - if you have any in your area - in my area we use to have sewing mills and many people have the machines for their own use and you need a special needle as well

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#3 of 4 Old 03-12-2012, 10:23 AM

Rubber cement will not work at all.  It is awesome to use to hold the layers together- but is totally reposition able.  Like you can peel them back apart.  Perhaps contact cement would work.  But I think the best thing to use would be a sewing awl.  If you have a 40% off coupon for JoAnns or Hobby Lobby they are only like $7 and work awesome :)  I make leather purses and the straps get so stinking thick that it is the only thing I can really use that  works without investing in a $1200 machine.  Just be careful- they are crazy sharp and since you are using a lot of pressure it can be really easy to stab yourself.

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#4 of 4 Old 03-12-2012, 10:27 AM

dude- I just replied praising a sewing awl- but googled your notebook- awesome- I am going to look for some of those :)   Anyway- I would contact cement the leather on and call it a day.  Not sure how spend the little notebooks are- but you might try the rubber cement first- but contact would be much better :)  Cool- I want to make some!

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

Tags
Arts And Crafts

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page