Knitted soakers and/or fabric source for wool? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-17-2012, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

There are a lot of sources for wool these days.  Anyone got a great rec for an affordable, quality wool yarn?

Alternatively, if I want to sew some wool covers, where would I find (or what do I look for) wool fabric that's not stripped of lanolin, or would be able to be "relanolized?"

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

#2 of 9 Old 04-17-2012, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

My favorite inexpensive wool is Bernat Feltin Wool. It is available at Joanns and Hobby Lobby or online and they have some good colors. It doesn't shed like some of the other brands I've tried. I am still working on my longies but I've done dryer balls and they felt really nice, or you don'thave to felt it.

#3 of 9 Old 04-18-2012, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you!  I used a hand-me-down soaker last night on one of the twins and no leaks.  I've never used any actual wool, but have knitted acrylic soakers which work well during the day.  My kids thought the footie longies were hilarious.  You could even see the baby's wheels turning as she tested out walking in them. LOL  

We're switching from using a pocket system.  The PUL doesn't seem to be agreeing with the twins too well.

#4 of 9 Old 04-18-2012, 08:45 AM

I like the bernat felting wool too!  I just knit a cover out of it for the new kid- haven't used it yet though- but it is beautiful!  Other affordable yet somewhat soft- good old cascade 220 works very well.  I love knitting with lambs pride- but it does have the mohair in it- which no one has complained about- but I still feel like it is fairly scratchy- but works better.I found a really nice English untreated wool at the knitting shop a couple of weeks ago- so I am working on a cover out of that- it feels a little rustic- but nice and lanolin filled :)  Unaffordable- three irish girls can't be beat!

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#5 of 9 Old 04-18-2012, 09:04 AM

Have you considered using wool sweaters, and just felting them?  Easy and cheap!  You could use left-over fabric (from the sleeves) for diaper covers/longies.

http://doityourselfec.blogspot.ca/2008/02/recyced-wool-sweater-longies.html

If you don't want them long, just cut them the length you want.

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#6 of 9 Old 04-18-2012, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstewart View Post

Have you considered using wool sweaters, and just felting them?  Easy and cheap!  You could use left-over fabric (from the sleeves) for diaper covers/longies.

http://doityourselfec.blogspot.ca/2008/02/recyced-wool-sweater-longies.html

If you don't want them long, just cut them the length you want.

Yep, I don't have a readily available source.  I live in a very small town.  Easier to order yarn or fabric than try to scour the thrift store on the quick visits I can sometimes make every 6 weeks or so.  

I do have one wool sweater that started out as my F-I-L's, and has slowly worked it's way all the way down to my 6 yo. LOL  I'm thinking of putting the poor thing out of it's misery.

#7 of 9 Old 04-18-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylilmonkeys View Post

Yep, I don't have a readily available source.  I live in a very small town.  Easier to order yarn or fabric than try to scour the thrift store on the quick visits I can sometimes make every 6 weeks or so.  

I do have one wool sweater that started out as my F-I-L's, and has slowly worked it's way all the way down to my 6 yo. LOL  I'm thinking of putting the poor thing out of it's misery

That makes it harder, for sure.  I am in the city and can usually find at least 1 good one at Goodwill or Value Village when I go in.  I THINK that I've seen people selling them online too...It's going to drive me insane trying to remember where but I think they were like $1 each or something, but since I'm in Canada shipping would have been expensive...  You can always let family and friends know that you can make use of their worn-out items as well. :-)

Good luck!

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#8 of 9 Old 04-20-2012, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

Overstock.com has the Bernat wool for $4.90 a skein, free shipping.  Just thought others might be interested in the discounted price.

#9 of 9 Old 04-30-2012, 05:18 PM

You can often find wool sweater lots on ebay for pretty cheap.  Buying single sweaters isn't usually practical because of shipping, but if you search for "wool sweaters craft lot" it sometimes comes up with good deals.  A while back I also found someone selling wool sweaters for $5-$6 each specifically marketed to people making diaper covers, but I forget where or how I came across that website.

Work at home, homesteading mom sharing child care 50/50 with my wonderful WAH DH. DD1 born Jan. 2010.   March '12.   DD2 & DD3 (twins) born Feb. 2013

Tags
Diaper Making

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page