Fabric for kitchen chairs... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-20-2012, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Looking for advice from all you wise women that know fabrics inside and out!  My kitchen chairs need to be recovered again.  They used to be white, but then got so dirty from little fingers that they wouldn't sun out white again.  I reupholstered them some brown fabric - looks like suede and was supposed to be "dry clean only", but the lady at the fabric store told me water would be ok.  WRONG!

Anyway, I would like something that can be wiped clean.  You know, something that we won't stick to in the Summer (I remember the vinyl chairs of my childhood and that's *not* the sweaty mess I'm looking for).  Would oil cloth work for this task or is there something else to suggest?  Is there a decent online fabric shop with a lot of pattern choices after I know which type of fabric I want?

Thanks!

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#2 of 6 Old 04-20-2012, 06:54 PM

I would suggest Chintz - found in the home decor section of fabric stores - it has like a shine to it.  Also you can spray it with Scotch Guard ...its not totally 'wipe clean'  ....it IS fabric...but its not bad.....I cant think of any fabric that you can wipe clean that you wouldnt also stick to in the summer! 

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

#3 of 6 Old 04-20-2012, 09:27 PM

We had the same problem, constantly recovering our kitchen chairs once we had children.  About five years ago I bought some fantastic fabric in a light oatmeal color.  I cannot remember the name, but it was purchased at Joann Fabrics.  It came in a nice selection of colors, it cleans beautifully, and it is soft.  It has a rubberish backing so when you clean it or when something spills on it it doesn't seep into the cushion.  It was pretty pricey - about $120/yard - but I used a coupon for 40% or 50%.  They need to custom order it and it wasn't available from all stores back them - just the Super Joann stores.  I couldn't get it around here but found it while visiting my mom in Florida.  I believe it is an indoor/outdoor fabric but it doesn't have that uncomfortable outdoor feel.  I cannot remember the name, but when I looked on their website it looks little like the Sunbrella fabric.    Anyway, over the years I've cleaned it with dish soapy water and I've also saturated it with Backout....it always came out clean and it doesn't look worn at all.

edited to add...I looked at the Joann site.  My fabric might be Crypton plush fabric which is only $60/yard and on sale for $30/yard.  I cannot remember.

#4 of 6 Old 04-21-2012, 04:00 PM

A lot of upholstery fabric comes stain guarded.  The fabric on my dining room window seat and chairs wipes clean with a damp cloth.  I bought it for $6 a yard at Home Fabrics.

Cindycaffix.gif, wife to soapbox.gif, mama to DD1 (4/97)lol.gif, DD2 (3/99)bouncy.gif, DS (4/03)biggrinbounce.gif, and DD3 (6/07)energy.gif, 3 cat.gif, and 10 chicken3.gif.

#5 of 6 Old 05-01-2012, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

I made the trek to Joanns today and found a cute print in laminated cotton.  Do you all think that would work?

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#6 of 6 Old 05-03-2012, 09:28 AM

I'm not sure about the particular fabric choice, but could you slip-cover instead so that you can take the slip cover off and wash it in the washer?  Or somehow not staple to the frame, but maybe use snaps, zippers, or velcro so that the upholstery could be washed?  May not work with your style of chair, just a thought...

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page