cake decorating gurus? I need a kangaroo. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-09-2012, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

We're going to a kangaroo petting zoo for my son's birthday and I really want to make a kangaroo birthday cake. Its going to be a strawberry shortcake. vanilla cake frosted with whipped cream with strawberries in between the layers and strawberries (and possibly other fruit) on top as well. I really want to put a kangaroo on there. Has to be made of fruit and/or candy. No piping.. definitely no piping. Anyone have any ideas? Colors do not need to be realistic. 

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#2 of 3 Old 05-12-2012, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

No candy ideas - but I know that I do happen to have a kangaroo cookie cutter.  I'd try to get one, and make kangaroo cookies (and pair it with broccoli 'brush', maybe raw sugar for "sandy dirt") for a kangaroo cake habitat.  

#3 of 3 Old 05-13-2012, 03:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

The easiest/laziest way would be to ice the cake smoothly; then, when the icing's crusted (if it does), use a baking paper template with a kangaroo silhouette cut out of it, and sieve cocoa over it to make the basic kangaroo shape... or evenly sprinkle coconut, chocolate chips, sprinkles, chopped nuts, or some kind of tiny candy. Then if you need to add some lines in for definition, use thin strips of raspberry or regular licorice for the pouch, arms and so on.

I like mumkimum's idea too, with the cookies. If you did gingerbread cookies the colour would be very realistic, and you could make a pouch-shaped cookie separately and the head and paws of a joey, and glue them on with icing to make a slightly 3D kangaroo. You don't need a cutter - just find silhouette templates online, print and cut them out, and use a sharp knife to carefully cut around them on the dough. It's a bit of a pain, but if you're not making tons of them, just one (or two for spares!) for a cake, it's very doable.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Tags
Arts And Crafts

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page