Should I buy a vintage Viking Husquarvana? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-12-2012, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone,

I am new to sewing. I took  a class a few weeks ago and we made a very basic apron. I loved it, and would like to learn more. I  a have been looking to buy a sewing machine but I've been waiting. I dont want to waste my money a cheap junky one and a $300 plus machine just isnt in our budget right now.

Well, today DH and I stopped by a hole in the wall thrift store and there was and old Viking Husquarvana. It is one of those machines that is screwed to a tablet (but looked like it could be unscrewed) The table itself was very nice too, solid  wood with lots of drawers. It appeared to be from the 1970's or 80's. It had the foot pedal but I didnt see a power cord. I didn't see what the model was. It was priced at around $60 (table included). It was clean and seemed to be in good condition but I wasnt sure if it worked and we didn't have a truck w/ us so I didn't get it. I am thinking that maybe that was a mistake. I've heard Husquarvanas are good machines so even if it has an issue it might be worth it to get it repaired right? Honestly, just the table looked to be worth the $60. It was good solid wood and had  flaps that come up on the sides for more working space.

I want to convince DH to go back tomorrow and take a better look at it w/ me. How can I test it. In case it does include the power cord, should I try to sew something. I still have trouble w/ threading the machine so this might be an issue...lol. Any advice would be much appreciated..Thanks!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2012, 11:29 AM

this is a tough one - for starters Husqvarna IS  a top of the line machine and yes, id expect to pay a lot more for it....

that being said - if it does need work - WHO are you going to take it to?? 

its sort of like buying a Saab or a Volvo - they are great cars but not every mechanic knows how to fix them OR how to get their hands on the right parts!    try looking through the phone book - Craigs List for a mechanic who does know this machine in your area....and also look on line for the manual to the machine - hopefully you can find something that will tell you HOW to thread the machine, then you can bring thread and fabric to test the machine at the shop ....(if it has bobbins!) 

tracking down things like a power cord and bobbins from a 30 - 40 yr old machine might be slightly impossible....

also wanted to say - if you will be making clothes and housewares stuff - look for sales on machines at JoAnnes or Walmart - Kenmore is a very solid brand (got mine at Sears for $169.00)  you can get a White for about $100.   Its not top of the line , BUT it will probably last 7 - 10  years with no problems, and in that time period you will learn if you are a die hard seamstress or not and you can set aside more money for a more durable model the next time around.

OR watch freecycle and Craigs list for ads from women who have decided they ARE NOT seamstresses and need to get rid of a machine they spent a lot of $ on and dont ever use !  They will be more recent purchases that come with the manual etc....

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

Old 05-13-2012, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your response. I forgot to mention that it has a plate on it with the address from where it was purchased (about 30 min. from here). I suppose I could always take it there (if it's still open). There's also a local independent sewing shop nearby. They sell some vintage machines so they might be able to service it. I guess I just need to go back and take a better look at it. My kids were running about crazy in the store so I didn't get a chance to look through all the drawers but I did see a book that might have been the manual.

Thank you for the reccommenations on machines.  I have also been considering a janome 2212 which is about $150 or the Janome Magnolia 7318 which is around $200. Are those good machines? The 2212  is more in my price range and has some good reviews.  I figure if I become a die hard seamstress and want to upgrade then I can always give it to my daughter in a few years.

Old 05-20-2012, 05:32 PM

I would contact your local service shop and see what they say about servicing the machine. You could also just haunt the local thrift stores and rummage sales --machines turn up all the time. I have had two since I started sewing, a very basic Singer and a less basic Kenmore. Both older machines, both cost me about $20, and both ran great. I gave away the Singer because I needed the space. I love my 1960s Kenmore, it's almost all metal and powers through really stiff fabric.

I really think that vintage is better, unless you're planning on doing a lot of machine embroidery.

User Tag List