How to get rid of (vintage) fabric odor? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-12-2012, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I found some great vintage fabric at a garage sale recently, and the price was so good I grabbed a huge bagful without paying nearly enough attention to the odor of the fabric...

I finally got around to dealing with it all yesterday and realized what an issue the odor really is.  I've washed it all several times with regular laundry soap, and have also tried washing and rinsing with white vinegar.  Neither of which seems to have made any real difference.

Does anyone have other ideas of how I might be able to save this fabric?  Thanks!

#2 of 7 Old 06-12-2012, 07:15 PM

I would try soaking it in Borax, then setting the washer to wash several times in a row before rinsing.

#3 of 7 Old 06-12-2012, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

What kind of odor? Old and musty or cigarette smoke or something more? You might try hanging it outside. If you're worried about bleaching maybe hang it in the shade or only let it be in the sun for a limited time. 

Maybe oxyclean?

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#4 of 7 Old 06-13-2012, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

It's not cigarette smoke.  I'm not sure if it's moth balls?  It's a smell I've smelled before on old fabric that's been stored for a long time.  Strong and unpleasant.  And persistent!

Thanks for the suggestions!

#5 of 7 Old 07-04-2012, 10:22 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacechief View Post

It's not cigarette smoke.  I'm not sure if it's moth balls?  It's a smell I've smelled before on old fabric that's been stored for a long time.  Strong and unpleasant.  And persistent!

Thanks for the suggestions!

I would suggest washing with baking soda! You may need to wash more than once, but baking soda does wonders with odors.

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#6 of 7 Old 09-02-2012, 03:38 PM

If it's a musty smell, I've had good luck packing fabric in a plastic bag with baking soda covering every part of it. I'd lay out the fabric, shake baking soda all over it, roll it up, pour more baking soda in a plastic bag, put the fabric in there, seal it closed, shake it up, and leave it for a week or so.  Then wash.

#7 of 7 Old 09-05-2012, 12:05 PM

I just got a box of vintage fabric handed to me last week - I washed it and hung it out in the sun for three straight days before it finally cleared out.  However, it was definitely the result of moisture, it was a distinct musty basement smell that sun does a very good job of getting rid of.  I like the baking soda idea though, I'm tucking that away for later if a box finds a way to me again!

WOHM to Leo (4/08) reading.gif and enjoying the journey with DH geek.gif

Announcing the arrival of Clara in August 2013! homebirth.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page