NEWBIE needs help! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-11-2012, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello!

My daughter was diagnosed with achondroplasia (dwarfism) and I want to make items that kids her age will be wearing, but she won't fit into, yet- like cool hats, gloves, scarves, sweaters, etc. I am hoping to start NOW, so I am great by the time she's school-aged, but I have NO idea where to begin.

Any ideas on how to even embark on this journey?

Thank you!

#2 of 5 Old 07-12-2012, 06:49 PM

Depending on how old your daughter is now they may no longer be in style say 10 yrs down the road but even if it is that far away now is the time to learn the skills!

I taught myself by watching you tube videos. I feel I can knit anything thrown at me because If I don't already know a skill I just look it up on you tube. 

Also there is a site that you have to be a member of (it is free!) and they have lots of helpful members and thousands of free patterns along with paid for patterns. It is called Ravelry. 

Have fun I love knitting!

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#3 of 5 Old 07-12-2012, 08:03 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)

Start with small projects, like hats she can wear this winter.  How old is she now?  If she is still young, dolly blankets and tiny scarves teach good flat knitting skills.  Doll clothes patterns can be found for knitting with circular needles.  Don't start knitting things for when she grows up.  Fashions change.  Make things for *now* when she doesn't care (if she is that young).

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#4 of 5 Old 07-12-2012, 08:35 PM

I am just learning to knit myself, I have a friend that showed me the basics, and to really get it down I have been watching you tube. All I have made so far is 4 washcloths, the first 3 are terrible looking but I am doing the 4th one now and its looking really good so far! I really want to learn to make myself some socks, that is my goal. It's a lot easier than I thought it would be!
#5 of 5 Old 07-13-2012, 07:33 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)

Some sock patterns are indeed pretty easy, easier than you might think.

Once you get the basics, knitting is pretty much following the pattern properly (at least until you are brave enough to plan your own patterns).  

I think where experience really starts coming in is when you can look at your piece and know where you are, whether you remembered an increase, etc.  You can see turned stitches, you can correct dropped ones.  You can correct a knit-purl mistake without much fuss.  If you messed up, you can look and make a quick fix of your own design ,  just know that one extra stitch isn't going to throw off the pattern (and when it will), and when (sigh!) you just have to rip it back.  You can see how the piece is coming together as you go, instead of it looking like a blob until you finish.  You know when your gauge is getting off and when to stop and check it.  You know whether your stitching tends to be loose or tight, and you choose needle-size accordingly, never-mind the instructions.

Etc.

knit.gif

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page