First time Diaper Maker Questions - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-10-2012, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So this is my first post here, I lurk on here from time to time, but don't have any babes of my own yet. My cousin is having her 3rd child and has decided to try cloth diapering. She doesn't want to spend any money on a newborn stash and from what I understand is getting mostly OS AIO or pocket diapers on the cheap from various locations. I wanted to help out and try to make her some newborn diapers and honestly I am a bit overwhelmed. Not in the actual making of the diapers but it seems there are a million different options for the fabric, the patterns, the styles.

So before I get in over my head, I wanted to see if any of my ideas are feasible. I have plans of making mostly fitted diapers with fleece covers and maybe buying her 2 PUL covers. Unless I am somehow able to make a whole newborn stash before he arrives (31 weeks now) She would only be using these part time.

The fabrics I have on hand are:

jersey knit (from joanne)

flannel (baby pattern from joanne)

Sleepy tee sheets (old and out of shape for bed, jersey fabric I believe)

Old tanks and white undershirts

Fleece from Joanne (both the very thin and the thicker polar fleece)

Microfiber towels from Ace hardware

I was thinking the jersey and the flannel would be soft against his skin and the microfiber could go in to the soaker with the old t-shirts??? And I think I read that the thicker fleece from joanne's was okay as long as I doubled up and used fabric softener on it?

I found a few threads regarding the free patterns but am having a hard time figuring out which one to use and how to adapt it for a newborn. I was also trying to think of ways to make them last longer than just a few weeks... the family tends to grow our males large. So I would hate to make lil-joey sized newborn dipes and them be too small after 2 weeks. I'm not familiar with putting on snaps, but know having a dipe with a snap down would be useful for her, and maybe give me a snap down rise? Am I trying to put too much into one diaper? 

Sorry if this is very scattered, my brain is also a bit scattered at the moment. I appreciate any advice thrown my way! :)

#2 of 8 Old 08-14-2012, 11:03 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)

Bumping for input. Any diaper makers with advice to share?

#3 of 8 Old 08-14-2012, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Thank You Cynthia. I actually just jumped in and tried to make one on my own. I just finished it actually and apart from it probably not being absorbent enough, it is pretty cute and super soft, so I guess I did something right. The body is made of 3 layers of jersey knit (I think) and the soaker is 4 layers of jersey knit (old t-shirts) and one layer of microfiber. I purchased some microsuede (alohva) from Joann Fabrics but wanted to sew a diaper made from recycled items (cheap) first. I wish I had a baby to pee in it.... I have no idea how much a newborn pees on average.One thing know I will be changing (and she recommended on the pattern) is the wing length since I am using aplix. Anyways, please critique so I can get better. :)

Oh and as you can probably make out it is just a NB Fitted. 

The outside

The inside. 

#4 of 8 Old 08-15-2012, 06:51 AM

Cute!  

I love the diaper kit pattern.  It isn't free- but it works awesome.   I made a new diaper stash for my little one and since my babies grow so fast I made a size small.  Unfortunately I haven't tried them yet and my baby is a month old (was gifted way too many size 1 sposies- and I am going to use them until we are out).  But I have used them with my other babies- so I know they work.  I made my entire 48 diaper size 1 stash out of jersey and flannel sheets for the inner layers and a layer of cute joanns flannel for the outside layer.  I also found that cheap thrifted flannel receiving blankets cut in half make the best soaker pads.  I make mine using 4 layers of fabric for the main diaper with a 3 layer quick dry soaker made of flannel- that gets doubled.  So there are 10 layers of fabric in the whole length of the diaper.  It seems like a lot- but you really need a lot.  If you make some little pockets- like the Rita Rump Pockets- just leave the microfiber towels separate to stuff them with. Then everything will dry tons faster- and they are super easy to stuff.  

I did put snaps on this latest set (have always used velcro before) and I have to say I am a convert to the snaps- they are so much better!  I just have the Babyville pliers and snaps that I get using a 40% off coupon.

HTH!   What a lucky cousin!

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#5 of 8 Old 08-16-2012, 06:59 PM

I'm sorry to bother you, but I've been trying to find a coupon to get a snap pliers set. Would you mind telling me where the coupon is? Did you find a 40% off anything from Joannes and buy it there?

#6 of 8 Old 08-19-2012, 07:49 PM

measure newborn pee by pouring three teaspoons of water into your diaper - that would be the bare minimum of what newborns are expected to pee  - 3 teaspoons worth AT LEAST 8 times a day

i have been making diapers out of old tee shirts - i was making AIO with a tee on the front and PUL baking - then a strip down the center like 3 - 4 " wide of flannel, polar fleece, or sweatshirt fleece.  I use snaps too - since i now have a toddler who doesnt care to be in diapers much to begin with..... i bought the huge Kamco snap machine - frankly im still getting acclimated to it!

i found these sites that have some free patterns and tutorials:

http://www.cheekydiapers.com/Free-Cloth-Diaper-Sewing-Patterns.html

http://www.zany-zebra.com/free-cloth-diaper-patterns.shtml

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

#7 of 8 Old 08-22-2012, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maritaca View Post

I'm sorry to bother you, but I've been trying to find a coupon to get a snap pliers set. Would you mind telling me where the coupon is? Did you find a 40% off anything from Joannes and buy it there?

Yeah- just use the 40% off coupon. They never go on sale. I actually shop at Hobby Lobby because I don't have a JoAnns. You can print their coupon off the website. You can also use coupons on the snaps :)

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#8 of 8 Old 08-22-2012, 11:35 AM

Thanks! I'll try that.

Tags
Diaper Making

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page