Help me decide! :) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-18-2012, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have $100 birthday money and need help making a decision on how best to use it. I haven't really any experience sewing. However I would like to start making cloth wipes and some stretchy and nonstretchy wrap carriers and eventually move on to clothing. I have an old sewing machine that was given to me by a family member (has sentimental value for them), not sure of the brand but it isn't a "popular" one I don't think, and I think it is made all out of metal. However it isn't working. Option A would be to get my old sewing machine fixed (possibly, haven't had that priced yet.) Option B would be to buy an older metal working sewing machine that possibly comes as a "lot" with many accessories from craigslist or ebay. Option C would be to buy a used serger, if I can find one that is within my price range. I'm not sure which would be best for what I'm wanting to do, though I realize that sergers and sewing machines have different functions.

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

#2 of 6 Old 08-18-2012, 07:54 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

Happy Birthday! Is there a local place that repairs sewing machines? If so, I'd probably go there first and find out it can be fixed and get an estimate for fixing it. I had the option of getting an old non-working machine and it turned out the parts for it weren't made any more, so each part would need to custom-made! In terms of Options B and C, I think I'd chose based on what I wanted to do. I've made cloth wipes happily with a sewing machine, but I've never tried wraps. Hopefully some others with experience in making carriers can weigh in. Happy sewing!

desertpenguin likes this.

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#3 of 6 Old 08-18-2012, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! Yes, there are about 3 shops here that claim to do sewing machine repair but two of them might be brand specific? One says Singer and the other says Bernina and Brother on the windows I believe. I'm not sure how that works, but I thought about going and getting estimates and comparison shopping. 

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

#4 of 6 Old 08-19-2012, 08:37 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

With some of places around me, if there are authorized dealers/repair places for a certain brand, they advertise that in the windows, but other they fix other (lesser known) brands too. Keep us posted on how your sewing machine repair/shopping goes. smile.gif

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#5 of 6 Old 08-21-2012, 07:00 AM

I would get the estimates and see what they have for used machines.  I doubt you will find a serger for $100.  I searched forever for a cheap good used one and the best I could find was $200- it is awesome though.  But I wouldn't buy a serger without having a regular sewing machine first.  You can do it all on a machine- but not on a serger.  I would also avoid craigslist- my reason is simple.  If you purchase at a sewing machine store (not JoAnns either) you will get such better service and will be able to call them to ask questions and they will give you a lesson on how to use it.  

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#6 of 6 Old 09-11-2012, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the responses and sorry about my slow reply! I ended up using my birthday money to buy my husband a guitar...lol. Oh well. Hopefully I will get a sewing machine soon. I want to get the Brother CS 6000i. The sewing machine I already have is a Dressmaker. 

Tags
Serge

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page