Question about knitting the ribbing on soakers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-13-2012, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I've never made a knitted cover before. I started making one but I've noticed that the ribbing is much looser ( as in the stitches themselves are bigger, I know ribbing is supposed to be stretchy) than the stockinette in the body. It looks odd. The pattern i' m using has the same needles throughout, but Should I use smaller needles on the ribbing? Is it common to do this?

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#2 of 5 Old 09-13-2012, 08:30 AM

I always go down 2 needle sizes when I am knitting ribbing. If I don't, my ribbing looks like what you are describing. smile.gif

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

#3 of 5 Old 09-13-2012, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Good to know it's not just to me!

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#4 of 5 Old 10-13-2012, 12:04 PM

Yup I go down needles as well. If you have a draw string on these and don't want to rip them out it won't matter in the end but something good to stick in your head for future projects. : )

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#5 of 5 Old 10-14-2012, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I've always gone down two needle sizes from my gauge. They still stretch out over time though, so either way I think a tie is useful. 

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page