using found wood -- does it need to be treated? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-02-2012, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We have some birch from a tree that died that was kind of special.  I don't know what was wrong with the tree.  I'd like to use the wood to make some crafts.  Do I need to treat it somehow?  I can't find any noticible bugs.  I think it's pretty dry.  It's been hanging around outside for over a year. 

#2 of 3 Old 11-14-2012, 05:25 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I don't do anything to my wood before working with it, though I tend to use green wood rather than dry stuff.

Once I'm done I finish with a coat of oil, usually walnut as it gives a nice finish and is safe on things to be used with food (most of my carving to date has been spoons).

#3 of 3 Old 11-14-2012, 06:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've had 50/50 success with it... once it came out perfect, another time it started to grow mold. I've heard you can dry wood out in the oven to ensure it's dry enough to not mold, but haven't tried it yet. The one that grew mold was a tree that had recently fallen, so maybe that's why (the other was older wood).

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif

Tags
Arts And Crafts

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page