DIY dollhouses? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-14-2012, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Last year I saw a fabulous thread about gorgeous homemade playkitchens - AFTER I'd already bought one for DD for Christmas.  This year I want to see your ideas first!!!  I want to do a wooden dollhouse for my 2.5 year old for Christmas.  I'm looking at the simpler Plan Toys ones, but they are so pricey, and I feel like this is something I should be able to make myself.  I'm not terribly crafty, so I really need some ideas, and would prefer to use found objects rather than building the thing from scratch.  I've seen some nice ideas online for building rooms in an old bookshelf, but I really like the open design of the Plan Toys house because I feel like it's easier for my daughter to manipulate at this age.  Anyone have a homemade dollhouse you want to show off?

#2 of 6 Old 11-22-2012, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

what a wonderful idea! Anyone made a homemade dollhouse? Please share your ideas or pictures.

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#3 of 6 Old 11-27-2012, 01:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I made this dollhouse for a friend's daughter's 5th birthday just this month. I also made the trees and the ground cover to go with it. It was very easy to make. I had the basic idea in my head of what I wanted to do and I kinda just went with it as I went along. Loosely basing it on dollhouses I've seen around the web. It's not as elaborate as the plan toys ones you mentioned but I think it's still cute and has the option of very open ended play. Sorry I don't have any measurements to share with you. I think it was about 22" wide by 12" deep, can't remember the height.

I plan on making my daughter one for Christmas this year but more along the lines of the Seri's dollhouse on Nova Natural. If you have any more questions about the one I did make let me know!

#4 of 6 Old 11-28-2012, 07:07 PM

It is truly gorgeous!

SAHM to a spirited 4 yo girl and an intense 2 yo boy. #3 to enter the world in June.I'm waldorf dollmaker.

Papa is in med school. Our first language is French.lactivist.gifhomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifsewmachine.gif

#5 of 6 Old 11-29-2012, 05:20 AM

Super cute dollhouse!

#6 of 6 Old 11-29-2012, 06:01 AM

dh made this 3 years ago and went and had the paint mixed to match barbie pink lol it is 5' tall, some rooms are carpeted and some have linoleum. there is a big party room on that top shelf with a disco ball. the bathroom has a shower built into it. the girls are very into barbies, they make videos and stop-motion videos. he didn't get to finish in time to add windows or stairs but they LOVED it.

SneakyPie likes this.

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

Tags
Toys

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page