Need Pattterns for Christmas Ornaments - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-19-2012, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It was supposed to be a homemade Christmas this year , but i doubt I'll have that kind of time.  Hurricane Sandy spared our house but took away the car and the storage shed - where - happened to be stored all our winter clothing, boots, coats and Christmas decorations (of all things!) 

we have managed to get new winter things fairly quickly - although having to buy knitted hats was a real blow to my ego!  Now i need to replace x-mas ornaments and decorations - does anyone have a tree skirt patterns?  i made my last one....but that was years ago.  Also any kind of homemade ornament - i sew, quilt, knit embroider and needlepoint - and im OK with paper crafts too....i cant crochet - if anyone has some cute patterns - please share!!

thanks, be warm and dry.....

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

#2 of 6 Old 11-19-2012, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I made these for my kids as their new-tradition Tree Trimming gift.  Easy to whip through.

http://www.posycollection.com/Pinstitch/iloveyoualphabet.html

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#3 of 6 Old 11-20-2012, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

One year, I just decorated the tree with lights, pine cones, and dried sliced oranges hung by ribbon. I thought that was very pretty.

Ruffled tree skirts seem to be popular (judging from pinterest). People are just hot glueing strips of fabric (burlap, even) on a cheap dollar store tree skirt or a round table cloth.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#4 of 6 Old 11-22-2012, 01:19 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Ooh, I'm making a ruffled tree skirt! With DD, because there are lots of nice straight seams for her to help me sew. I'm doing proper sewn ruffles, not hot-glued ones, out of some heavy, slubby cream fabric someone gave me. It's on hold because I got busy with other projects, but I think it'll look neat.

If you want a temporary fix for this year, rather than making beautiful heirloom ornaments to last you forever, you can decorate a tree in all sorts of ways. I used blue craft paper one year to make fat loopy bow-type things, and hung cinnamon sticks with gold thread between them. And another year I made gingerbread salt dough hearts, covered in gold dust. Or even a big roll of fancy ribbon to make bows is pretty nice.

Pinterest had a cool pattern for a 3D star... lemme see... this one.

Hmm, this reminds me I haven't thought up our tree decorations this year. I make inexpensive ornaments every year with DD and then chuck 'em out afterwards, because a) I hate storing stuff and b) I'd get bored with the same ones every year. Maybe we'll use leftover ruffle skirt fabric to make fat bows...

ETA: Forgot to say, ruffle balls a la Pinterest in cream and gold, or made with tea-dyed lace, can look nice hanging up in a corner of the room somewhere. I was planning to do that this year... if I get around to it.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#5 of 6 Old 11-22-2012, 05:20 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I love handmade Christmas decorations, I like to make a few new ones each year to add to our collection. This year we have a bigger tree so I've been looking round for inspiration. Pintrest brings up lots of ideas.

I'm hoping to make some of these twiggy trees. I did a similar thing a couple of years back with the children, they used strips of craft foam and beads to make little trees.

I also like these felt trees which again I hope the children will be able to do themselves. We'll probably also make some felt baubles, simple shapes decorated with embroidery (me) or gluing on sparkly bits (kids)

Maybe some bead ones since I seem to have quite a few beads around that I've never got round to using.

#6 of 6 Old 11-22-2012, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

Ooh, I'm making a ruffled tree skirt! With DD, because there are lots of nice straight seams for her to help me sew. I'm doing proper sewn ruffles, not hot-glued ones, out of some heavy, slubby cream fabric someone gave me. It's on hold because I got busy with other projects, but I think it'll look neat.

Sounds fab:-) I'd like to make one, too, and I would also sew it. I'm not a huge fan of glue guns though they have their place. We've never had a tree skirt. Sometimes we drape a table cloth around the base of the tree. But that was usually just to cover the ugly plastic green bucket style tree holder. We don't have that anymore since we switched to a fake tree with a minimalistic metal stand. 

I usually decorate the tree with candy canes, as well.

I hate putting away all the decorations so the pine cone, orange slices, and candy canes are just my speed.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01

Tags
Arts And Crafts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page