Why can't I get this? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 12-01-2012, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My general mood these days is definitely affecting my knitting.  I really want to warm up my girls' feetsies with these this Christmas.  But they're on my nerves!  It is supposed to be a simple pattern that even kids can do.  Sigh. 

Could someone explain these decrease rows to me.  I get the decreases; it's the knitting in between.

Quote:

First DEC. ROW: Work ribbing for 7 (7-9) sts, * slip, k and psso, k1, k2 tog. *, work 3 (5-7) sts ribbing, repeat between *'s once, finish row in ribbing; 23 (25-31) sts.
NEXT ROW: Work 7 (7-9) sts ribbing, p3, work 3 (5-7) sts ribbing, p3, finish row.
2nd DEC ROW: Work 6 (6-8) sts, * k2 tog., k1, slip, k and psso *, work 1 (3-5) sts, repeat between *'s once, finish row; 19 (21-27) sts.

So, first of all I have several rows of ribbing in the toe:

Quote:
ROW 1: P 1, *k1, p1; repeat from * to end.
ROW 2: K1, *p1, k1; repeat from * to end.
Repeat these 2 rows of ribbing for 1 1/2 (2-2) ins., end on wrong sideRepeat these 2 rows of ribbing for 1 1/2 (2-2) ins., end on wrong side.

I want to make sure about this because my brain is just fried.   Which is the wrong side? Exactly which row do I knit last before starting the decrease.  I need it spelled out for me.

Then, can someone please just spell out the actual stitches to make in those decrease rows?  I know what the slip, k and psso is.  Just tell me like in that first dec. row do I start with p1 or k1, and then when it says work 3 sts ribbing, do I start with k1 or p1, and when it says finish row in ribbing do I start with k1 or p1?  And the same for the 2nd decrease row.  I despise ribbing. 

Help make a tired mama feel good about herself again!  :-)

#2 of 3 Old 12-02-2012, 08:04 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)

You should be able to see from the piece of work which stitches you are doing, and then you can sort of forget about it.  If the purl-side on the next stitch is facing you as you work, purl in the ribbing, same for knit.  The longer the ribbing, the easier this is to see.  

The first row (starting with purl as the first stitch) is the "wrong side" of the piece.  (This is because when you cast on, you are actually knitting the first row.  If you were working a stockinette stitch, you would purl the next row.  That's why the 1st row is the "wrong side").  So, you begin the decrease on a row which begins with a knit stitch.  I am assuming the decrease is worked from the "right" side.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#3 of 3 Old 12-04-2012, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thanks!  I got my brain back and realized what I did wrong.  Thank you for taking the time to help out.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page