Should I just give up crochet? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-13-2012, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have been trying to learn crochet for at least 15 years. I have never quite been able to "get" it. I only learned how to knit a few years ago, and within a month, I was already knitting clothes. I have no problem at all following knitting patterns, but crochet patterns make absolutely no sense to me. I only try small, beginner projects and I usually do them at least five times (ripping out/starting over) before either giving up, or on rare occasion, actually finishing it. I have read a bunch of websites and watched a few Youtube vids, but still, I'm just not getting it. The latest attempt is of this bauble tree ornament- http://attic24.typepad.com/weblog/bauble-decoration.html  I looked to see if anyone else was having trouble, but no one on Ravelry or her typepad complained, so I'm guessing it must be me. My first problem was on round 1 (of course), where I'm supposed to put 9 hdc's into the ring. When I do, I end up with 14 stitches on the edge, not the 10 I'm supposed to end up with. I decided to try putting 2 hdc's into each stitch instead, I was able to come up with the correct number of stitches, but it doesn't look the same (hers has spokes). This is supposed to be an "easy" pattern! I have, miraculously, been able to get rows 2 and 3 done (I just used my not quite right row 1), but I'm wondering if it's a hopeless battle. Does anyone know of any really good tutorials that actually explain it in super detail (preferably video)? Any other wisdom? (Like stop banging your head up against a wall!) Thanks!

#2 of 6 Old 12-13-2012, 02:45 PM

lurk.gif

#3 of 6 Old 12-13-2012, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Start by making square wash cloths or something.  I wouldn't call those baubles 'easy starter' projects.  

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#4 of 6 Old 12-16-2012, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

I can do the basic stitches, make a blanket or scarf or dishcloth. It seems like if I freeform it, it works really well. I think my biggest problem is understanding the patterns. For example, on the first row of the baubles, she doesn't say where you make the stitches (just randomly doesn't work for me). With knitting, everything is very precise, it seems less so with crochet. I don't know, I just need patterns that are extremely detailed, or I need a book that explains what exactly the patterns are saying. I bought a beginner crochet book and successfully made a sweater with it, but it had pictures and was very detailed on every single step. (It's also the only book of patterns I've seen like that.) I did end up making the baubles, but I could never figure out the spokes. So, my baubles don't have spokes, no biggie, but I just really wish that there was some magic book/video/website that would explain what in the helk these crochet pattern writers actually mean!

Also, I welcome suggestions on beginner projects that are a bit beyond scarves and dish clothes, but just a bit.

And if you want to check out my baubles, which really did come out super cute, http://mamawolfeknits.blogspot.com/2012/12/bauble-tree-ornaments.html

#5 of 6 Old 12-18-2012, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

I decided to give it one more shot and I followed a beginner pattern by Bernat for some slippers. They actually came out! I guess, for me, the trick is to only use patterns written by certain people who know that they are writing for beginners and know *how to write a pattern. I'll try some more Bernat patterns!

#6 of 6 Old 12-21-2012, 09:50 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Beautiful work mama'.   Glad you figured it out.  Generally w. crochet each stitch goes into the one below it (if that makes any sense) unless it says 'skip x amount of stitches'

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page