Anyone do mehindi henna tattoo art? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-26-2012, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My tween got a set for Xmas, and she is so artistic she is loving it and her first attempts came out so beautifully.  Any advice on where to get the cheapest yet good quality supplies, like bulk henna? Any other online henna art resources to share...? She has a little amazon.com gc, so from there would be awesome. 

Also, do you know if real henna artists squeeze it out of a little tube (which came in her kit), or do they buy the little prefilled cones, or buy empty cones, or have some even better applicator tool we might want to save up for? 

Once a year we attend a local  belly dance festival, and if she keeps at it I can see how she might be able to have a little booth and do this for $ there....

Thank you!!!

#2 of 5 Old 01-05-2013, 07:21 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

I see your post was missed. I thought I'd bump it up to give it some attention and see if anyone has experiences or information to share. bump.gif

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#3 of 5 Old 01-08-2013, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I henna my hair, and have used the leftovers to attempt mendhi designs before. I didn't have much success - it wasn't body art quality henna, and I kind of smudged it while it was drying. One time I ended up with a pale, pale stain that would have made a decent fake tan, except it was spread over my legs in smudged swirly patterns. From a distance it looked like I had some ghastly disease. :p It was fun though, and proper henna tattoos look gorgeous.

You can just apply it with cones made from triangles of baking paper, the way you'd pipe icing. That's probably the cheapest option (certainly easier cleanup than buying a fabric piping bag). I know it only transfers colour while it's wet, so to get a good dark stain you have to keep spraying it with a mixture of lemon juice, sugar and water. Not sure why you don't just use plain water - maybe it runs?

There are some pretty good mendhi sites online. Henna for Hair has links to places that sell BAQ henna, if you can't find it locally.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#4 of 5 Old 01-10-2013, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

That's a great idea about the baking paper--we'll try that! I did look around and found some cool sites about henna online.  I just started my daughter her own pinterest account, too, and lots of great things there!

;)

#5 of 5 Old 02-28-2013, 07:47 PM

I use metal tipped bottles for henna - I find I have much better control.  You can get them online or at most hobby shops (usually in the cake decorating dept.)

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif

Tags
Arts And Crafts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page