Handmade Holidays 2013 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 125 Old 10-13-2013, 09:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok Friends,I AM going to make something today!

#62 of 125 Old 10-13-2013, 03:51 PM

I did it!

I made set of coasters out of wool and 2 hot pads.

#63 of 125 Old 10-18-2013, 10:05 AM

I'm hoping for some idea help.

I found these very cute little rectangle glass dishes.Something that you might drop your keys in or put on top of your dresser for a few rings or maybe if you wear a watch.I was trying to think of something I could make that might go along with with one but I'm stumped.

Any ideas?

#64 of 125 Old 10-20-2013, 01:55 PM

I'm giving that whole apple butter another try today. The first batch didn't turn out so well. Fingers crossed on batch number two.Of course using the crock pot setting properly will probably help.uhg.

#65 of 125 Old 10-25-2013, 09:48 PM

Could you use that glass etching paste and do monograms?
#66 of 125 Old 10-26-2013, 11:17 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rere View Post

I'm hoping for some idea help.

I found these very cute little rectangle glass dishes.Something that you might drop your keys in or put on top of your dresser for a few rings or maybe if you wear a watch.I was trying to think of something I could make that might go along with with one but I'm stumped.

Any ideas?

Hummmm.....    How bout coffee cup cozies?  or felted coasters?

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#67 of 125 Old 10-27-2013, 09:07 PM

rere- maybe some keychain lanyards or other keychain embellishment? Coaster for the bowl to sit on? A small home-made candle?

Not sure how much I'll get done homemade this year. I do have three bottles of vanilla extract started, started on a knit poncho for my niece and have yarn for a sweater for DS. Otherwise? Not too sure. 

(I was planning on using October to be completely ready for Christmas, but then got slammed with overtime at work. :( )

- C reading.gif + Tsuperhero.gif = DS 08/08 bouncy.gif  DD 02/12 angel.gif and D? praying.gif sometime around March 16/2014 

#68 of 125 Old 10-28-2013, 06:13 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by curiouscanadian View Post

Not sure how much I'll get done homemade this year.

Same here. The two hand made things I'm doing for sure this year are a doll bed quilt for Little Man (to match the quilt I made him last year) and some soy wax candles in jars (I've been saving the Better Than Bouillion stock base jars - they're really nice) for hostess gifts. Other than that... I designed our Christmas cards on Shutterfly, if that counts. And most of the books we're getting for Little Man have been picked up second hand. So better than nothing! 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#69 of 125 Old 10-29-2013, 11:43 PM

I am feeling inspired on kid gifts for the grandparents at least. I got some beeswax so we can make dipped candles together. And I figured Borax crystal snowflakes would also be an easy craft.

Need to get going on the knitting though!

- C reading.gif + Tsuperhero.gif = DS 08/08 bouncy.gif  DD 02/12 angel.gif and D? praying.gif sometime around March 16/2014 

#70 of 125 Old 10-30-2013, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Thankfully, I didn't have high hopes for my crafting this year after a couple of fail years. Yay for low expectations! I really want to make DD some sort of soft toy, which will probably be my most time intensive thing. Other last minute things will be earrings, embroidered bookmarks, and maybe some soap. I think this may be a slow holiday. :zzz

tea6.gifcancer-beating wife to caffix.gif DH since 7/4/09, mother to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 5/1/11 + energy.gifDD 8/21/2013

angel1.gif (4/09) angel1.gif (5/12)

#71 of 125 Old 11-02-2013, 10:41 AM

November??

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#72 of 125 Old 11-02-2013, 11:11 AM

look at this Rere:  it may go well on top of the glass???   I want to make these for my SIL & BIL - http://www.michelemademe.com/2013/06/scrap-challenge-entry-lily-bowl-and.html

they got married earlier this year - i made them a quilt - so i thought id use the same colors ....

i am thinking about a flannel apron for my brother - he recently became a SAHD  - 

my sister turns 40 ON Christmas this year - i need some more ideas!  - she has asked for wool socks - i am thinking i can get some expensive merino wool and do a pair or two ....but thats not enough!  

we got a train table off CL for my youngest this year - and i think thats ALL were going to get!  

oh i still have cashmere gloves started for my GIL  (she will be 90 this year!)

oh crap i nearly forgot to make a quilt for my brother and his new wife - married in August - i made them a 'sampler' to hang on their wall - but i made a double wedding ring quilt for all my other siblings and siblings -in law....so i wanted to finish the job (he is the youngest - no more damn weddings!!)  

not much to make for the teenagers - although....i am thinking about something for my DD (18 and away at college)  to keep her flat iron in....i bought a little ironing board fabric to try something out....not sure what!   

man- i better get off the computer and get to work.....

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

#73 of 125 Old 11-02-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post

November??

Yeah, what the crap... I think some of us are getting in trouble... perhaps I should be off of this thing and crafting instead... 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#74 of 125 Old 11-06-2013, 11:59 AM

• so far I've made this for my wine loving mother-in-law! :) (and one for myself, of course!)

• Coffee liquor in swingtop bottles for the men.

• Vanilla extract in swingtop bottles for the women.

• and magnet boards for the kiddies/cousins with themed fabric that fits them & their rooms with Fun magnets! similar to this ...

fabric magnet board on etsy.com $26.00

married to my love, Keith (5.22.08)

mother to Declan (4.25.10) and Cullen (12.21.11)

Baby Boy #3 due January 8, 2014

#75 of 125 Old 11-07-2013, 03:18 PM

Holidays are cancelled... sorry to inform people... lol

witchypants likes this.

#76 of 125 Old 11-10-2013, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post

Holidays are cancelled... sorry to inform people... lol

Yay! :bgbounce

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#77 of 125 Old 11-11-2013, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Hi everyone! I'm to the thread. Newly single mom of 3 under 5, full time student, living on about $16,000/year. Homemade holidays are a necessity here. I did get the boys b-day and xmas presents before the divorce thing so they are already set. For everyone else I've been brainstorming. Garden scrub, peppermint whipped body butter, homemade candy bar bark, vanilla sugar, bookmarks, food in jars, iris folding...I'm not super crafty so it's not easy for me. Plus the whole infant, toddler and preschool boys running amok. :/

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#78 of 125 Old 11-11-2013, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah_mae_ View Post

Hi everyone! I'm to the thread. Newly single mom of 3 under 5, full time student, living on about $16,000/year. Homemade holidays are a necessity here. I did get the boys b-day and xmas presents before the divorce thing so they are already set. For everyone else I've been brainstorming. Garden scrub, peppermint whipped body butter, homemade candy bar bark, vanilla sugar, bookmarks, food in jars, iris folding...I'm not super crafty so it's not easy for me. Plus the whole infant, toddler and preschool boys running amok. :/

Welcome! You might look up last year's thread for some gift inspiration too - everyone was tossing around some great ideas there as well. And have you browsed Pinterest? If you've got kids that like Hot Wheels, a really easy and affordable gift is to make a car carrier/road play mat out of felt, and you can do it with the most basic of sewing skills (or even fabric gluing skills). Adding in a few cars is a cheaper addition to round out the gift. 

Another easy one is jar candles. Get some soy wax and save your mini jars or pick them up at the thrift store. It's not to expensive to buy the wax and wicks and you can make a ton of candles for just a little bit of cash for supplies. Soy wax is great because you can just melt it in the microwave and pour it into a container and you're done. 

#79 of 125 Old 11-17-2013, 06:26 AM

I need to get started! I work okay under pressure though, and try to get the kids involved in gift making so we may be okay : ) I'm also participating in a homemade gift swap this year so I'm going to be extra busy..but I love it! I feel like an elf the entire month of December, cranking out presents covered in glitter glue and a big fat smile. My family doesn't appreciate homemade gifts one single bit -- they aren't super materialistic, but when I hand out homemade vanilla extracts I doubt they use them...I will be making calendars/photo-books for everyone and I do those homemade using neat odds and ends I find, so they take awhile. I normally two really neat ones for the grandparents, and smaller versions for Aunts (we have a small family..) 

Here's what I plan on making (so far) - winter warming salves, momma bliss sprays, tea blends, homemade fairy glitter + fairy "specimens" for DD's friends, aprons and well, I'm not sure what else yet! I am in the planning stages (remember, I work okay under pressure) hehe! 

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#80 of 125 Old 11-17-2013, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

For the quilt - try the Cloud 9 5x5 quilt. It's super easy, and if you're dedicated and can find the time, you can make one up in an afternoon (or several sessions after bedtime). I made one for my son for his first Christmas a few years ago. Actually, we're getting him a Cabbage Patch doll for Christmas this year, with an Ikea doll bed, so I'm making a mini replica to go with it that matches his. 

My kids want to learn to sew. So we decided to make two baby quilts for my nephews for Christmas. I was thinking something like the one you linked. But since this will be their first ever sewing project. I'm thinking a rag quilt might hide some of their errors better. The kids picked the fabric and I couldn't talk them into a single solid, or simple pattern. So it will be quite the quilt when done.

Mom to DS 4/24/03 and DD 4/17/06
#81 of 125 Old 11-23-2013, 07:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

dust.gif

DDX5 '88 '90 '92 '97 '99. TR 5/2011. HSG 9/2011 R TUBE OPEN. HSG 5/12 both tubes closed. SECOND tubal reversal surgery 7/12 , CP 3/2013 ttc "our" first @40 DH 46.
#82 of 125 Old 11-23-2013, 07:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
We made a rag wreath with some thrift shop up cycle fabric. We will do another with Muslin and burlap. Does anyone have a good experience making a rug of some sort? Rag rug? Circle or rectangle?

dust.gif

DDX5 '88 '90 '92 '97 '99. TR 5/2011. HSG 9/2011 R TUBE OPEN. HSG 5/12 both tubes closed. SECOND tubal reversal surgery 7/12 , CP 3/2013 ttc "our" first @40 DH 46.
#83 of 125 Old 11-26-2013, 05:22 PM

I have 3 girls who love to play dollhouse. I've been working on these :heartbeat

#84 of 125 Old 11-27-2013, 06:03 AM

Ok,here we go take three.I have had two responses disappear.

Anyway...thank you for all the ideas to go along with my little glass plates. I think I am going to make lip balm holding key chains to go with them.

I have been working on some things but haven't taken any photos.

Yesterday I made two wool scarves.I wish I could think of more people on my list to give them to because they are so soft and also fun to make.

I also worked on my daughter's gift.I traced the body of my husbands bass guitar and am making a bass shaped bag for her.All it needs is a strap. It's really fun!

I made a blanket for my MIL but I am not sure if I will quilt it or not. I was planning on tying it. I used a piece of flannel in place of the batting so no quilting is actually needed. I just need to decide which look I prefer.

Hmmmm....what else?Well I made a blanket out of felted wool sweaters but my daughter fell in love with it while I was making it. I couldn't resist and gave it to her as a birthday present. Really though,what could make a maker mama more happy than her girl really wanting some thing she made?!

Not sure if I will be able to get anything done today. My daughter has a class this afternoon and then it is off to hang with family.

Happy making everyone!!

#85 of 125 Old 11-27-2013, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne Barker View Post

I have 3 girls who love to play dollhouse. I've been working on these heartbeat.gif

So cute!!

#86 of 125 Old 11-27-2013, 09:59 AM

Here is the "quilt".What do you all think?Does it need to be tied?Does it look unfinished this way?

And I was able to make a lip balm holder since my daughter decided to take a very LONG bath.Now to make a few more.

#87 of 125 Old 11-28-2013, 08:34 AM

a few more lip balm key chains!

Now to try to get a strap on to my daughter's bass bag without her catching me.
HappyHappyMommy likes this.

#88 of 125 Old 11-28-2013, 08:51 AM

Well,I didn't have the strap that I thought I did so that will have wait but here is the body.

#89 of 125 Old 11-28-2013, 05:14 PM

Saving my spot I am working on a few things not nearly as much as usual but Id love to add to this thread

#90 of 125 Old 11-28-2013, 05:15 PM

how do the chap stick key chains work?

Tags
Arts And Crafts

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page