Handmade Holidays 2013 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 125 Old 12-29-2012, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So after lurking for three years on the Handmade Holidays threads, I figured that it was finally time to commit to a fully handmade year. I've cranked out two gifts already since Christmas for this coming year (as you can see, I'm a bit excited). I can't wait to see all the inspiring posts from you all and to keep my creative juices flowing. You crafty mamas have given me so many ideas and projects to do over the years...Let's keep them coming!!

Cheers to the New Year and let's get crafting!!

A sleeping mask for a friend with migraines:

An apron for my daughter:

MOMGOTSPUNK and ahilal like this.

hippie.gifWife to blowkiss.gifJames , treehugger.gifMama to Saraenergy.gif and Robbie bouncy.gif
knit.gifread.gifgeek.gifgd.gifh20homebirth.giffamilybed2.gif  398/2013, 2/200, 4/52

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 125 Old 12-30-2012, 11:40 AM

Marking my place...

I'm in again this year!  I already have plans for what I'm doing for extended family...just waiting for ancestry.com to have their annual membership reduction!  Plus I'm going to focus on cross-stitching since I was freecycled a TON of aida cloth and embroidery floss years ago and want to start working through my crafting supplies before buying more.

Oh, and I have big plans on things to make for our house for next year's holiday. :)

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#3 of 125 Old 12-30-2012, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

marking my spot.  This year was a total failure

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#4 of 125 Old 12-31-2012, 07:31 AM

Well, my family celebrates New Years, so I have one day left to finish my projects for this year!

My MIL already told me she wants more knitted cowls so I know what I'm making for her for next year.
#5 of 125 Old 12-31-2012, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

After two long years...my living room curtains are DONE!!!! This was going to be a Christmas present to myself, but it's turned into an early Imbolc present instead...

Here's a close up of the handmade clay tile "buttons" I used for a finishing touch:

My living room has a botanical feel to it as I am absolutely in love with old hand drawn and painted plant fienld guides from the early 1900s. I've printed, matted and framed some of those field guide pages on the opposite wall, but I wanted something to tie it to the fabric I chose.

Now I'm itching to do some curtains for my kitchen!!

ian'smommaya, witchypants and tiqa like this.

hippie.gifWife to blowkiss.gifJames , treehugger.gifMama to Saraenergy.gif and Robbie bouncy.gif
knit.gifread.gifgeek.gifgd.gifh20homebirth.giffamilybed2.gif  398/2013, 2/200, 4/52

#6 of 125 Old 01-01-2013, 07:40 AM

I was embarrassed to say that I already started on 2013 gifts but I guess I'm not alone!

Nice stuff,Triana!

#7 of 125 Old 01-01-2013, 09:21 AM

Im in again :) Didn't get much done in 2012 but lets see what I can get done for 2013

Crafting List so far
Christmas list.. thats my story and Im stickin to it :)

DD1: cradle bag w/ doll, giant (like 4 ft tall) horse doll, a few stocking stuffers (to be determined by time and amount of energy I have)
DD2: cradle bag w/ doll, hopscotch board with bean bags, few stocking stuffers depending on my energy level/time
DD3: cradle bag w/ doll, Noah’s ark, a few stocking stuffers (to be determined by time and amount of energy I have)
DS: Chubbies Super Heroes (superheroes), Knitted Tool Set - hammer, screwdriver, spanner, set square, tape measure, a few stocking stuffers (to be determined by time and amount of energy I have)
Hubby:

Other family members:
MIL- Folded Purse with some money tucked in (Im horrible at remembering gift cards, I will forget to put them in the envelop before sending..every time.. not joking), small scrapbook of children pictures
FIL- framed photo collage, Santa Shelf Doll
SIL1: Folded Purse with some money tucked in, Footprints cross stitch (there is a 5x7 stamped cross stitch one Im thinking about getting at my local Michaels), Grumpy, the Lump of Coal, small scrapbook
SIL2: Folded Purse with some money tucked in, small scrapbook
SIL3: Folded Purse with some money tucked in ,small scrapbook
BIL: Folded Purse with some money tucked in
Grandma 1- framed photo collage
Grandma 2 small scrapbook, shawl (maybe Holden Shawlette
Grandpa- embroidered handkerchiefs, Pug with Anorak
My Dad- Frolicking deer hat, scarf
My brother: hat and scarf
Nephew: Knitted Tool Set - hammer, screwdriver, spanner, set square, tape measure

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#8 of 125 Old 01-01-2013, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Rere - you and KitchenQueen have been inspiring me to craft for years now. And thanks to you both, I've pushed myself to learn to sew something other than straight lines....

I'm so excited to finally be more than a lurker!! And thank you for the compliments!

#9 of 125 Old 01-03-2013, 05:58 PM

Triana,it's so awesome to hear your excitement !I love it.It makes me want to go make something.joy.gif

#10 of 125 Old 01-04-2013, 03:27 AM

Posted my ideas list smile.gif This month is DD1's birthday, next month is DS's birthday.. then its Valentines day, Easter, Mothers Day, Fathers day and my SIL is getting married. THEN I have time to craft for Christmas.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#11 of 125 Old 01-04-2013, 06:07 PM

My list:

Daughter-guitar bag(FINISHED)

Husband-band art

Mom-art?shawl?

Mom's Husband-food(FINISHED)

Brother-wool scarf(FINISHED)bark(FINISHED)

Sister and BIL-pillows(FINISHED)sweater blanket(FINISHED)key dish and lip balm key chain(FINISHED)

Nephew-hooded towel (FINISHED)

MIL-blanket(FINISHED)

Uncle-tshirts(FINISHED)

Family grab bag-cast iron skillet and hot mitts(FINISHED)

Crafty Friend-wool scarf (FINISHED)

Lady Friend-bag(FINISHED)

Man Friend-glasses and coasters(FINISHED)

Teen boy friend-belt?love and hate gloves?

Teen Girl Friend-fox scarf(FINISHED)

Neighbor Friends-coasters(FINISHED)granola(FINISHED)key dish key chain(FINISHED)

Family Friends-granola (FINISHED)and hot pads(FINISHED)

Family friends-start garland

#12 of 125 Old 01-04-2013, 09:22 PM

I may do vanilla for everyone this year. I out did myself this year and I'm not sure I can follow up.
#13 of 125 Old 01-05-2013, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34me View Post

I may do vanilla for everyone this year. I out did myself this year and I'm not sure I can follow up.
my mom did vanilla one year and iy was really nice.It got me started on making my own.
34me likes this.

#14 of 125 Old 01-08-2013, 06:52 AM

Quote:

That's was my plan for this year but I got the flu and didn't get bottles or vodka in time and it just fell by the wayside. I think I'm definitely doing it for 2013. It's so easy and is always appreciated/used.
#15 of 125 Old 01-08-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone_kneegrabber View Post

That's was my plan for this year but I got the flu and didn't get bottles or vodka in time and it just fell by the wayside. I think I'm definitely doing it for 2013. It's so easy and is always appreciated/used.
I didn't know you could use vodka.We always use bourbon.
witchypants likes this.

#16 of 125 Old 01-08-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rere View Post

I always use vodka, usually Sky brand and it's great!  I always joke that for the first month it is just vanilla vodka and you can just drink it and the second month it is useless and then the third month it is finally extract!

witchypants likes this.
#17 of 125 Old 01-08-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rere View Post

Oooh, maybe I will make one of each!
#18 of 125 Old 01-08-2013, 04:05 PM

I use vodka, too. I've had some with beans in it for *years* and it. is. awesome. !! Seriously dump some beans in a bottle now and you'll have amazing vanilla by Christmas 2013. It's not a super cheap gift, but will be well loved.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#19 of 125 Old 01-08-2013, 08:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I wanted to do vanilla last year, but getting it shipped to NZ is a pain and one guy wouldn't get back to me about bulk beans... so I sort of forgot about it. Also, most of my friends and family don't cook. I could give some to my parents (who wouldn't really get it, but my little sisters would bake with it), and some to my parents-in-law... oh, I guess SIL would like some. And maybe two other friends... OK, maybe it is worth doing!

Mostly I want to hoard it for myself though. :p So, anyone know the best place to get cheap good beans that ship internationally? Here in my city you can only buy them two at a time, for about $9 a pop. It's ridiculous.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#20 of 125 Old 01-09-2013, 04:27 AM

Smokering- have you tried Amazon.com?

#21 of 125 Old 01-09-2013, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

I wanted to do vanilla last year, but getting it shipped to NZ is a pain and one guy wouldn't get back to me about bulk beans... so I sort of forgot about it. Also, most of my friends and family don't cook. I could give some to my parents (who wouldn't really get it, but my little sisters would bake with it), and some to my parents-in-law... oh, I guess SIL would like some. And maybe two other friends... OK, maybe it is worth doing!

Mostly I want to hoard it for myself though. orngtongue.gif So, anyone know the best place to get cheap good beans that ship internationally? Here in my city you can only buy them two at a time, for about $9 a pop. It's ridiculous.
Too bad my husband isn't going back to New Zealand this year.I'd get him to throw some in the mail in NewZealand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanQueen99 View Post

I use vodka, too. I've had some with beans in it for *years* and it. is. awesome. !! Seriously dump some beans in a bottle now and you'll have amazing vanilla by Christmas 2013. It's not a super cheap gift, but will be well loved.
But if you're able to split it up amongst a bunch of recipients,it's not too bad.
Quote:

I always use vodka, usually Sky brand and it's great!  I always joke that for the first month it is just vanilla vodka and you can just drink it and the second month it is useless and then the third month it is finally extract!
Ha!

Quote:

Oooh, maybe I will make one of each!
yeah,now I want to taste test.

#22 of 125 Old 01-09-2013, 02:37 PM

I order my vanilla beans from eBay. About a pound of beans for $25us.
#23 of 125 Old 01-09-2013, 03:25 PM

OkiMom: Yeah, I've tried Amazon, but none of the shops I saw shipped to NZ. Which Amazon doesn't like to tell you until you're halfway through the transaction, because good grief how does that site keep going with its awful functionality and hideous design? Surely they can afford a redo?! Don't get me started...

I've never tried eBay. It scares me. I should give it a go though.

#24 of 125 Old 01-12-2013, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I order my vanilla beans from eBay. About a pound of beans for $25us.

How many beans does that usually equal out to?

#25 of 125 Old 01-12-2013, 11:49 AM

I did some more sleuthing and found a place that sells them fairly cheaply. Actually I found a place that sold them even more cheaply, but a half-pound of beans was $24 and the shipping was $91! So, yeah, no. The new place packs them in a flat box and it costs about $16... much more civilised. :p Unfortunately my PayPal account is, like, $6 short, so I'll have to wait until next month. 

triana1326: The site I found (Amadeus Vanilla) said the number of beans per pound varies depending whether you buy regular, long or super-long beans (obviously), but the "regular/long" ones were listed at "approximately 110+ beans per pound", and the "super-long" ones as "approximately 90+ beans per pound". That's enough for a whole heckload of vanilla extract!

#26 of 125 Old 01-13-2013, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I did some more sleuthing and found a place that sells them fairly cheaply. Actually I found a place that sold them even more cheaply, but a half-pound of beans was $24 and the shipping was $91! So, yeah, no. The new place packs them in a flat box and it costs about $16... much more civilised. :p Unfortunately my PayPal account is, like, $6 short, so I'll have to wait until next month. 

triana1326: The site I found (Amadeus Vanilla) said the number of beans per pound varies depending whether you buy regular, long or super-long beans (obviously), but the "regular/long" ones were listed at "approximately 110+ beans per pound", and the "super-long" ones as "approximately 90+ beans per pound". That's enough for a whole heckload of vanilla extract!

Smokering - how much was the price and can you give me the website link (PM if you need to)? For some reason nothing comes up when I google Amadeus Vanilla...silly google.

#27 of 125 Old 01-13-2013, 10:30 PM

That's odd! Here's the link: Amadeus Vanilla Beans. I plan to buy half a pound of the extract-quality beans (ie. uneven lengths, not as moist and "pretty" as the gourmet beans, but apparently very good for extracting). They're $29.99 for the half-pound, plus $16 shipping - to New Zealand, that is, I imagine it'd be cheaper in the USA!

I don't know if it's the cheapest option for you... I found plenty of sites that sold bulk vanilla, but not many that shipped internationally. Still, given that it costs NZ$10 for a packet of TWO vanilla beans here, the Amadeus price doesn't seem too shabby!

#28 of 125 Old 01-15-2013, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

That's odd! Here's the link: Amadeus Vanilla Beans. I plan to buy half a pound of the extract-quality beans (ie. uneven lengths, not as moist and "pretty" as the gourmet beans, but apparently very good for extracting). They're $29.99 for the half-pound, plus $16 shipping - to New Zealand, that is, I imagine it'd be cheaper in the USA!

I don't know if it's the cheapest option for you... I found plenty of sites that sold bulk vanilla, but not many that shipped internationally. Still, given that it costs NZ$10 for a packet of TWO vanilla beans here, the Amadeus price doesn't seem too shabby!

Thank you!!!! I'll check it out later tonight.

#29 of 125 Old 04-10-2013, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Joining in here too, as I can already tell this is going to need to be a homemade holidays this year. We celebrate both Eid and Christmas, and Eid falls in August this year so I need to get busy. 

I only have to make gifts for dd, but I may make a few things to do as giveaways on my youtube channel.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#30 of 125 Old 04-11-2013, 12:03 PM

I am starting on Christmas gifts as well :) I am hoping for a fully homemade Christmas this year.

Tags
Arts And Crafts

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page