52 Project Challenge, 2013 - Page 10 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#271 of 606 Old 05-19-2013, 09:06 PM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I've been swooning over this dress from an episode of Call the Midwife.  Especially when I looked closer and realized there is a button placket down that midriff band that would make this dress totally nursing-friendly.

I may have spent a significant amount of time this afternoon looking at patterns and thinking of how I could alter them to make a dress like this.  Somebody remind me of how I already have my next 3 dresses planned, and how I desperately need some new blouses too...

Mommy to DS1 July '09 and DS2 Oct '12
#272 of 606 Old 05-20-2013, 01:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Ooh, pretty!

23/52: DS' third long-sleeved T-shirt. I finally decided on an anchor applique, and did the upper bit of the sleeves in the same contrast fabric. I'm pleased with it. Sadly, it is not the last of his winter tops after all. He's getting them dirty at such a phenomenal rate I'll need to make at least three more. I have an old T-shirt of DH's that I'd like to make into another long-sleeved tee, preserving the picture on the front (it's a crest of a walrus, with "Habea Bukkit" on it); and then I bought some plaid flannel for a pinafore last year for DD and thought better of it, so I'll make that into a proper buttony shirt.

Right now, though... DD's nightie. Eugh. This is one of those projects I really don't want to finish. Don't like the pattern, don't love the fabric (DD chose both), and I have a million other things I need to sew and several I WANT to sew (namely, new pyjamas for meeeee! My current yoga-pants-and-ancient-hoodie combo is supremely unattractive.) Oh well. She does need it.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#273 of 606 Old 05-20-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

Ooh, pretty!

23/52: DS' third long-sleeved T-shirt. I finally decided on an anchor applique, and did the upper bit of the sleeves in the same contrast fabric. I'm pleased with it. Sadly, it is not the last of his winter tops after all. He's getting them dirty at such a phenomenal rate I'll need to make at least three more. I have an old T-shirt of DH's that I'd like to make into another long-sleeved tee, preserving the picture on the front (it's a crest of a walrus, with "Habea Bukkit" on it); and then I bought some plaid flannel for a pinafore last year for DD and thought better of it, so I'll make that into a proper buttony shirt.

Right now, though... DD's nightie. Eugh. This is one of those projects I really don't want to finish. Don't like the pattern, don't love the fabric (DD chose both), and I have a million other things I need to sew and several I WANT to sew (namely, new pyjamas for meeeee! My current yoga-pants-and-ancient-hoodie combo is supremely unattractive.) Oh well. She does need it.

LOL you just described exactly what I am wearing right now, (and how it looks).  I made myself a fantastic night gown a couple years ago, but it's a little too tight over my baby-feeders lately.  I really should make another before the weather heats up too much for ugly yoga pants (mine are even maternity :P) and hoodies. 

#274 of 606 Old 05-22-2013, 03:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Angelorum- there is a New Look pattern that I believe could be adapted.  6557.  It has the front shape and you could add the placket.  You might not like the thin straps though.  Wear a shrug?  

I have gotten barely anything done.  Sick kids and too much other junk getting in the way.  I have been working on a quilt top that I am making for a friend in exchange for babysitting.  I have no idea when I am going to get a chance to quilt it- it must be done in less than a month.  But the top is almost done.  

I feel like making my sweet little girl a few new bibs too.  The Bapron is like such an improvement in my life.  And I would like to make her a couple more cute little summer dresses- just don't have time or energy.  

And this is awkward- but I need to find some amazing inspiring wool yarn for a new baby knit.  Something extremely fabulous- and I need a pattern.  I have you know like 7 months to knit it- so complicated is fine but I don't do color work.  Suggestions are most definitely welcome.  

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#275 of 606 Old 05-22-2013, 09:15 PM

That is a pretty close pattern.  I think I like the gathered bodice on this Vintage Vogue reprint better though.

But I probably don't want quite that much skirt.  I might do a tiered skirt, like the one I'm copying, or I might just skip it.  I'd have to redraft the midriff to have the a center button placket too.  And I'll add cap sleeves and back like in this retro Butterick reprint pattern.

I actually made that Butterick pattern a couple summers ago.  I didn't have the brilliance to put buttons in so I could nurse in it though. 

The only thing I'm not sure about is whether there needs to be a zipper somewhere.  It doesn't look like the button placket extends into the skirt of the dress at all.  There's no way I could get that midriff band over my hips, but maybe it would be easy enough to just put on from the top?  Might still be a bit of a squeeze over the bust.  What do you think?

#276 of 606 Old 05-23-2013, 03:51 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Maybe a side seam zipper to make it easier to get over the head?

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
#277 of 606 Old 05-23-2013, 04:07 AM - Thread Starter

24/52: Finished DD's nightie. I still hate it. DD LOVES it. "Oh, Mummy, you finished my nightie! Thank you Mummy! You're the best maker ever! It's so beautiful! Daddy, look what Mummy made me!"

Typical. lol.gif Most of the clothes I've made her which I really love, she only wears reluctantly. Oh well.

Next up, my pyjama harem pants. I think. It'll take a fair bit of adapting and similar scariness. But it's nearly halfway through the year and I've only made one of my six New Year's Resolution garments for myself, so I'd better get cracking.

Momsteader likes this.

#278 of 606 Old 05-23-2013, 02:07 PM

#16 for me! I made eight pairs of these at my quilt day. One for ds, one for a gift, and 6 for my etsy shop! GO ME! 

They are boxer briefs with no front or back :) So they are always on right. My own pattern. 

I love this fabric...wish I could find more! 

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#279 of 606 Old 05-23-2013, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

25/52: Made my harem-style pyjama pants. They're... well, let's just say I don't think I'll make another pair in fancier fabric for daywear after all. But for PJ pants, they're kind of fun. I don't think DH was impressed, though. :p

#280 of 606 Old 05-23-2013, 10:06 PM

Smokering...no photo!? 

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

#281 of 606 Old 05-24-2013, 01:31 AM - Thread Starter

Heh! Maybe when I've made a top to go with them. Thematically, of course, it should be a bustier-esque midriff top, but that's not much good for winter (and would look rather peculiar in dark brown winter checks, anyway.) I'm trying to make a nursing-friendly long-sleeved top out of an Ottobre tunic pattern... I'm not convinced it's going to work. We shall see.

#282 of 606 Old 05-26-2013, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaorganic View Post

And this is awkward- but I need to find some amazing inspiring wool yarn for a new baby knit.  Something extremely fabulous- and I need a pattern.  I have you know like 7 months to knit it- so complicated is fine but I don't do color work.  Suggestions are most definitely welcome.  

Delurking to say congrats wink1.gif
#283 of 606 Old 05-26-2013, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

26/52: Made my pyjama top. More successful than I expected. I wanted to take a photo of the whole ensemble, but everything remotely resembling a camera in the house is either missing, dead or lacking a vital cable. DH is online looking for a new camera. :p

I might make another top in a different fabric for daywear, with a few modifications. The current one has too wide a neck to wear with a bra (although I could do one of those bra-strap-holding snappy things, couldn't I?) and I might add a frill at the bottom and a bow or something elsewhere. I'll see what fabric I have. Goodness knows a new winter top wouldn't go amiss.

iowaorganic, was that a subtle announcement?! Went way over my head! Congratulations, if the baby in question is indeed yours!

ETA: He bought a new camera. Here I am. Forgive the hair, I'd just woken up.

#284 of 606 Old 05-27-2013, 08:35 PM

I like it! 

So I'm 'behind'. I did some calculations and I should have 22 projects completed at this point in the year. Back to the drawing board to bust out some things! 

#285 of 606 Old 05-29-2013, 09:28 AM

Thanks guys!  It was a *very* subtle one :)  I might swing into the knitting shop later today and look for some lovely alpaca I think.  I have all the Longies I should ever need but a new cute little sweater is surely in order especially since our puppy ate the button band off of DD2s.

I have no time and even less energy.  Wow.  very very little energy for crafting.  

swede likes this.

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#286 of 606 Old 05-29-2013, 12:54 PM

Congrats IowaOrganic!  Maybe by the time the next kid shows up you'll have updated your siggie to make the 2012 kid official! :)

iowaorganic likes this.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#287 of 606 Old 05-29-2013, 06:36 PM

Congratulations Iowa!  I totally didn't catch that as an announcement either.  I liked the rhino romper pattern on ravelry during my last pregnancy, though it might be too boring and large for your needs.

I finished another dress!  I really wanted to wear it on Sunday, and I just barely finished hemming it in time to put on, and then 5 minutes later the zipper split open where I had stitched too close to the teeth at the piping.  I fixed the zipper this morning.

It wasn't the smartest match of pattern+fabric, with the princess seams totally interrupting the trellis on the fabric, but I at least got a straight diamond down the center front.  The pattern matching at the little button placket worked out better than I thought it could!

AppleMark

I balanced that perfection with a total miss at making the pattern match at the back zip.  Should have cut the back pieces out on a single layer like I did the front. 

The shiny fabric makes this look a little dressier, maybe someday I'll make another in a more everyday-fabric.  I need more everyday dresses. 

Out of curiosity, I pinched the ease out to estimate how much there is.  I have about 1 1/2" at the waist, and 1" at the bust.  A far cry from the 3 1/2" - 4" the pattern wanted me to have, and I have plenty of room to let my gut relax, and move my arms around. 

27/52

#288 of 606 Old 05-29-2013, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Angelorum, that dress is awesome! I really like it. I love that kind of collar, and the pockets are nifty. Well done!

I spent ages going through all my Ottobres looking for a non-knit jacket pattern for DS. I bought some velvety stuff - upholstery velvet, I suspect! - from an op shop and wanted to make him a cute forest-green fuzzy jacket, but Ottobre seems to favour stretchy jackets for babies. Finally remembered a book of mother-and-baby sewing projects Mum made me ages ago, with a jacket pattern I used for DS when he was about four months. So that's my current project.

ETA: Grrr. I need advice.

I want to make myself a long-sleeved (or three-quarter-sleeved) vintagey/retro dress. I bought the fabric, a vaguely shantungy-looking dark blue fabric, and I was going to buy Vogue 8615 and alter it, but Spotlight didn't have it.

Possibly just as well, because when I went to buy it online I found several reviews complaining about the armscyes and various other issues. But dang it all if I can't find any other suitable pattern!

Here's what I want:

-Fitted bodice, flared skirt. Not sure I have enough fabric for a circle skirt, but I want something decently boofy.

-Either attractive buttons down the front, or straight bust dart/shaping seams over the breasts into which I can insert invisible zippers, in which case it'd need some kind of collary thing to conceal the zipper tabs so I don't look peculiar

-Not too low in the neckline or otherwise dependent on the presence of ample cleavage to look good

-3/4 or long sleeves, preferably fairly tight. I could probably figure out how to lengthen shorter sleeves if necessary.

Any ideas? Anyone?? Bueller?

#289 of 606 Old 05-29-2013, 10:31 PM

Smokering, no help on the pattern. I have SUCH trouble with patterns....I always find them disappointing, so I usually just pick and grab pieces of things I like and put mine own together....with varying results. :X

Perhaps hard to see his photo of what he wanted...but the project was right on to his drawing--yay! No pattern, just had to play a bit. I love the fabric. It's an organic french terry with lycra. I got a whole bolt. Going to make myself a hoodie, yoga pants, and a skirt. Probably yoga pants and hoodie for the wee one too. Now....we all need to be sure not to wear it all on the same day! LOL 

#290 of 606 Old 05-29-2013, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
There is this one. No sleeves but you could possibly add sleeves from another pattern? The beige detailing on the bust might conceal a zipper?
http://www.vam.ac.uk/vastatic/microsites/1486_couture/create.php

This one has short sleeves but I think you're right about them being easily shortened.

http://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/130121547/pdf-50s-dress-pattern-bow-and-contrast?ref=pr_shop

Those are the best I can come up with. Sleeves seem to have been considered rather de trop in the 50s apparently shrug.gif

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#291 of 606 Old 05-30-2013, 12:19 AM

How about Butterick 5813?  You could change the center front seam to a button band.  Or you could even put an invisible zip down the center front seam and find a decorative pull for it.  Or even just put the zipper in upside down and hide the pull under the belt, as long as the end at the top is high enough to let the dress open enough to breastfeed. 

It's on my list for some future date when I feel like sewing a winter dress.

#292 of 606 Old 05-30-2013, 02:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Sleeves seem to have been considered rather de trop in the 50s apparently

Yeah, it's notoriously hard to find them. Three-quarter sleeves are much more common than full ones - which is fine by me, they help disguise my freakishly long gorilla arms!

I actually considered both of those patterns already! They're cute, but I dunno. I'd like to see a photo of that second one in action. I can't seem to find anyone who's actually sewn it.

Angelorum, I REALLY like the bust detailing on that one! It's gorgeous. Do you think the pattern would still work if I opened up the neckline? I find a narrow, slitty neckline is unflattering on me - makes my aforementioned wide shoulders look larger - and I'd prefer to make it into a not-quite-scoop-but-not-jewel round neckline, maybe with some kind of slightly scifi or dramatic-opera-dress kind of collar (which would hopefully hide the invisible zipper tab.)

That wouldn't make the neckline sit weirdly loose where the bust gathers let out, would it? Or would it? I suck at pattern adaptation. If I knew the pattern could be adapted in several different ways - a V-neck, a Peter Pan collar, a cowl-type collar etc - I'd be very happy.

#293 of 606 Old 05-30-2013, 08:46 AM

I think you could totally change the neckline, it's usually one of the easiest things to change on a pattern.  If you are nervous about it, you can always make a quicky muslin of just the bodice.  As long as the original pattern fits you around the collar bones (or where ever you want the neck) you should be able to leave off any dress above that line without an issue. 

I don't know, I've been altering a lot of patterns recently with pretty good success, so maybe I'm just feeling over-confident, but I say go for it!  It's a gorgeous pattern, and would look great in blue shantung.

#294 of 606 Old 05-30-2013, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Congrats Iowa!!

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#295 of 606 Old 05-30-2013, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I have a confession to make. I went a bit crazy buying patterns last night.

They are SO CHEAP online! I had no idea. Here in NZ, a single Butterick Retro will set you back $25-$30. Online, they're less than $3 each! Shipping added a bunch, of course, but I still managed to get six patterns for $45, which is absurdly cheap compared to the Spotlight prices.

So I got the one you suggested, Angelorum, and also:

Butterick 5556 - again, I'd want to open up the neckline a bit, but I like the standy-up collar

Butterick 6085 - because I need a decent basic button-up shirt pattern. I'll have to lengthen the torso and probably widen the shoulders a bit. I like the number of sleeve options.

Butterick 5747 - because look at it! I adore sailor dresses. I'd like to do this with a cobalt blue collar and belt, and white everything-else, like a hugely expensive dress I saw on Modcloth once. I've always fancied white dresses, but white next to my skin makes me look a bit undead.

Vogue 1233 - cute, and more everyday-ish in terms of skirt.

Vogue 2903 - the A neckline is a bit too deep/cleavage-requiring for my tastes, but the B one isn't, and I really like the shape.

So... ulp! Lots of sewing to do, and lots of fabric to buy. Should make my six-garments-in-2013 quota easy to fill, though!

And now I have to plow through some more kid projects so I can sew myself dresses with a clear conscience when the patterns arrive. :)

Thanks for all the advice!

ETA: Also, I didn't buy this one because it was expensive, and because I can probably alter one of the other patterns to fit it; but isn't this cute?

#296 of 606 Old 05-30-2013, 08:46 PM

Ooh, nice haul smokering!  I forgot about that vintage vogue pattern, I have it in my collection, and it totally fits what you were looking for.  And WOW, $25-$30 for one pattern!  And here I was feeling sorry for myself over the one sewing store close to me selling them for $6.50, instead of the $1 or $2 sales I was used to from the chain store.  I'm pretty sure the $2.88 price online is a sale, I think they normally run around $11-$12 online, though the sales happen often enough you can usually avoid paying full price. 

#297 of 606 Old 05-30-2013, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, it said it was a sale price. Could've been even cheaper (marginally) if I'd joined up with some club or other. It was pretty cool actually - the sites are all connected, so you can buy McCalls or Butterick or Vogue or whatever all at once, all on sale, in the same checkout process. Very nifty.

#298 of 606 Old 05-30-2013, 09:05 PM

Yup.  Those three are all owned by the same company, and they recently bought Kwik Sew too.

#299 of 606 Old 05-30-2013, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

Sinister! Ought we to be boycotting Big Pattern? I like the idea of using patterns made by little WAHM pattern-makers... but I don't tend to like the patterns themselves. :p So I don't. I'm a complete Ottobre snob for kids' clothes now, though. Wouldn't dream of paying even $2.88 for a single pattern when I can get 30 or so really nice, beautifully detailed ones in every issue! Seriously, it's kinda sad how much I look forward to my Ottobres. I love 'em. I don't like Ottobre Woman so much, though. I find most of the patterns bland and generic. And a lot of the stuff is obviously designed for middle-aged conservative plus-size women, which isn't a bad thing - indeed, is a marvellous and admirable thing - but doesn't do a lot for me. There are only so many Nice Basic Tummy-Hiding Tunics one can go for.

#300 of 606 Old 05-31-2013, 12:44 PM

You guys are so inspirational!  Wow!  Well nearly inspirational- cause I am not going to do anything- but I like to think about doing something :)  Instead I think I am going to try to get the kids to finish up school for the day and I am going to take a nap :)  I might cast on for a baby sweater but that is more out of duty than desire.  Angelorum- your dress is so lovely- the details are what make it spectacular!  Smokering- awesome haul on the patterns!  I personally like Burda and Etsy for patterns.  I should revisit my old idea of making my kids coats for church...  I have all the wool coats and just need to buy the pattern and some lining.  hmmm...  that might be more inspirational.

eta- I did cast on for a baby sweater.  It will be super close on the yarn quantity.  It is some lovely jitterbug that I have had around for years.  I hope I don't knit the whole thing and run out too soon though... that would be sad.  But the jitterbug is so lovely to knit with!  

Tags
Arts And Crafts

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page