52 Project Challenge, 2013 - Page 11 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#301 of 606 Old 06-01-2013, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Smokering, I love the vogue 2903. I find myself drawn to vintage 1970's patterns myself, lol.

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
#302 of 606 Old 06-04-2013, 03:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

27/52: Finished a cute little jacket for DS. I used thrifted green velvety fabric for the shell, and lined it with some neat chocolate brown fabrics my sister gave me. It's as cute as a button and I'm proud of it, except... it's kinda too small. :p The pattern only went up to 18-24 months, and DS is small for his size so I figured it'd be OK (he turns two in a few weeks). But no. Well, it barely fits, but it won't last him all wonder. Pout, sulk. I really like the jacket. Oh well - the next baby can use it. (And that's not a subtle announcement, in case anyone's scrutinising!)

Momsteader likes this.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#303 of 606 Old 06-05-2013, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Here's a somewhat fuzzy shot of DS in his wee jacket.

#304 of 606 Old 06-05-2013, 10:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

That's adorable!  I love the colors.  And his curly locks! 

So, I rediscovered a dress I sewed years ago and wore exactly once, and I want to refashion it somehow to be more wearable.  It's this view of Butterick 5030.

I don't know what I was thinking making a wrap dress in the first place.  I am always annoyed by how the skirt falls open every time  I sit down in a wrap dress.  Add to that, the fit on mine is bad, and the so bodice gapes right open if I move the wrong way, even after I sewed an extra hook and eye at the neckline.  I'm going to change the sleeves (they are a really awkward length on me), and I've got to fit the darts better, but mainly I think I'm going to change it to button all the way down the center.  What I can't decide is what to do with the neckline.  I could keep it as a v-neck with buttons, but I'm not sure if I should remove the collar or not.  Or I could remove the collar and square the neckline.  Which do you think would look better with buttons?

Mommy to DS1 bouncy.gifJuly '09 and DS2 baby.gif Oct '12

#305 of 606 Old 06-06-2013, 03:04 AM

Smokering, the jacket is too cute!

Angelorum, I think buttons would work okay. 

AFM, project 10 of 52 - a mugrug for our American Sewing Guild swap last night.  I got a cute handmade one in return.  We do a little drawing during the meeting for fabric and notions and things that people donate.  I won some fat quarters of Christmas material and announced to the ladies at the meeting that I am having twins.  Caused quite a sensation!  The guild may even through a handmade baby shower for me. That would be fun.  I still can't believe I am 12 weeks today with twins.  Going to buy a maternity pattern today to get started on some better options in maternity clothes than my current local stores have in stock.

Crafty Geeky lady (37, hypothyroid) married 7/2010 love of my life (42, azoospermia). I believe in MIRACLES! Twin boys born 12/21/13 at 40 weeks 2 days! 3/52 crafts in 2014 Ramsey's BS1: Done! 2/17/12 BS 2 goal: 6/7/17 no sperm initial DX 3/23/12 BFP 4/7/13!
#306 of 606 Old 06-06-2013, 11:47 AM

Cute Jacket!  It looks like Anna Maria Horners' pattern.  She does have larger sizes in her All Set Pattern Set.  I have made a few of the jackets, a ton of the quick change trousers and one of the girl tops from that pattern and LOVE them!

#307 of 606 Old 06-06-2013, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, it is Anna Maria Horner! Mum gave me her "Handmade Beginnings" book when I had DS. I made the jacket for DS when he was around four months old, too. It is a lovely pattern (and I like that it avoids buttonholes!) - both times I've noticed the hood doesn't come very far over the head, though, which is weird. And the sleeve insertion requires some mega-easing.

28/52: A wedding cake for my friend's mother. It's a small wedding, just 25 people. I ended up making two cakes, because I stupidly used too large a tin the first time and it was very flat. So now I have a free flat fruit cake - and as it happens, a lady from church who loves fruit cake has a husband in hospital at the moment, so I might give some to her.

ETA: Ooh, my patterns arrived this morning! Very exciting. I bought some more fabric at a Spotlight sale a few days ago, so now I have enough to make three dresses - although I suspect I'll need to buy some lining and sew-in interfacing and zips. What *is* sew-in interfacing? Couldn't I use fusible instead? It sounds easier....

#308 of 606 Old 06-06-2013, 07:55 PM

Pretty cake and adorable boy and jacket :)  I would use iron on interfacing.  Life is short...  As long as you don't melt your fabric you should be fine.  

I frogged the sweater.  I just know there wasn't quite enough yarn.  I did start it out of some imagination and it is looking very cute.  DH said the colors make it look like a mop but what does he know about knit ware?  Not much I think.  I don't know why I haven't knit more baby things out of sock yarn?  Afraid it would take too long apparently.  But I am to the underarms and it is going good so perhaps that is illogical.

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#309 of 606 Old 06-07-2013, 05:46 AM

Today I am going garage saling - there are two different listings for "fabric" garage sales.  I want to make myself some maternity clothes and bought myself a Butterick pattern B5763 yesterday (on sale for $1.99 at Joanns through Saturday) that I think is really cute.  Now to get some crisp cottons and light voile fabric to make myself a new wardrobe for the summer.  My go to pants are about to be "no go pants" because my twin pregnant belly has definitely started popping out the front.  It is interesting to see how body proportions change in pregnancy even though I have only gained 6 pounds but eat lots of food every 2.5 to 3 hours.

#310 of 606 Old 06-07-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacvioletiris View Post

Today I am going garage saling - there are two different listings for "fabric" garage sales.  I want to make myself some maternity clothes and bought myself a Butterick pattern B5763 yesterday (on sale for $1.99 at Joanns through Saturday) that I think is really cute.  Now to get some crisp cottons and light voile fabric to make myself a new wardrobe for the summer.  My go to pants are about to be "no go pants" because my twin pregnant belly has definitely started popping out the front.  It is interesting to see how body proportions change in pregnancy even though I have only gained 6 pounds but eat lots of food every 2.5 to 3 hours.

not arts and crafts related- but those belly bands are WONDERFUL for this point!  They really will keep your pants up :)  Target ones are cheaper and work just as good as the expensive ones as well.

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#311 of 606 Old 06-10-2013, 01:14 PM

Well,it's been a while but yesterday I made 7 pairs of pants for Dress a Girl Around the World and a a pair of pants for myself. And this morning I made a quick skirt for my daughter.

Ok,off to go back in the thread and see what everyone has been up too!
Momsteader, swede and Monica S like this.

#312 of 606 Old 06-10-2013, 11:34 PM

Project # 18!  It's not crafty....but BOY OH BOY did it take a LOT of time. I cleaned out my garage and then set up for a sale. But, I did well and got rid of a lot of things. Super happy about that! 

34me likes this.

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#313 of 606 Old 06-12-2013, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

rere: Neat! I love how you just casually mention making 7 pairs of pants in one day. :p

Momsteader, that's awesome! Well done! Also, wow, you have a mighty garage.

I was in another sewing rut for several days, but last night I got out one of my new vintagey patterns - the one you suggested, Angelorum - and made a muslin of the bodice and started adapting it. I haven't got the neckline quite right yet, and I still need to figure out the button band and the neckline facing and the collar; but I'm getting there. I think. Pattern adaptation is hard! I keep second-guessing myself, and it seems like every time I slightly adjust my posture everything goes haywire.

#314 of 606 Old 06-15-2013, 12:57 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

My craft boxes arrived from storage... a whole year with out my craft supplies.... kinda anti climatic at the moment...

Momsteader and 34me like this.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#315 of 606 Old 06-21-2013, 07:34 AM

I finished that quilt yesterday- my neighbor loved it- king size is really pushing the limits of my machine!  It did turn out pretty lovely too :)  And I turned a pair of jeans into a skirt.  I haven't really been too productive lately- but I guess I still finished some things!  I probably need to spend some quality time in my garden but cleaning out my sewing room is still on my to do list....

Momsteader likes this.

#316 of 606 Old 06-23-2013, 10:01 PM

Not a great shot, but I patched the stroller with a little 'truck' applique. Got the stroller used, but there was a steadily growing slash on one side. 

#20 Chew Buddy (I made several, but I really like this chick print!)

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#317 of 606 Old 06-24-2013, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter

Nice! That is a cute print. :)

My dress project is a bit of a disaster. I've got as far as making the bodice, including sewing the lining niftily round the armholes to conceal the seams (which took forever), but despite my best attempts at pattern-drafting it's a bit too loose round the top and extremely snug around the waist; and I wrestled with a recalcitrant button-band for ages before realising the collar was slightly off-centre, so now I have to cut them off again and hack a bit off one side, hoping it won't be noticeable. And the sleeves, which looked tight on the pattern picture and OK on the muslin, look worryingly leg-of-muttonish on the final article. And I suspect I'm going to have to add not one, but two side zips in order to get into the darned thing. And I'm not even sure I'll be able to breastfeed in it!

I chucked the whole thing in the sewing cupboard when I had to clear the table for guests, but I'm feeling very disinclined to haul it out again. I have to, though - DD really needs a coat and some more leggings, and DS needs a few shirts, and I don't want to start making them until I've finished the dress. But right now I'm thoroughly over it.

#318 of 606 Old 06-24-2013, 09:52 AM

Joined a local "yarn club" so every other Sunday I have 2-3 hours of mommy time of crochet! whistling.gif

Momsteader and 34me like this.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#319 of 606 Old 06-24-2013, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter

Well, a friend had her baby last night, and despite the fact that I had nine months to make her something and can't visit her for a few days anyway because of my cold, I felt an uncanny panic to make something immediately. So I did her a wee apron-dress today. It looks better in real life. :p So that's 29/52.

34me likes this.

#320 of 606 Old 06-25-2013, 11:06 AM

Can I join this late? You ladies have really inspired me! I will say I will complete 10 items by the end of the year. I have completed on banner which I sew my DSs trail badges on and now I have to finish the other. I want to teach myself to knit and crochet. Would making my own vanilla count in this? 

Momsteader likes this.

Mama to two loqacious and bouncy boys.
#321 of 606 Old 06-25-2013, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Of course you can join! And we're all pretty much making up our own rules here, so vanilla counts if you say it counts. :) That reminds me, I have a bottle of vodka and some beans waiting to be introduced...

30/52: Made DD a pair of slightly fancy leggings last night. Of course, it didn't help that I cut the bottom panel on the wrong grain, and this morning they were far too tight. But it was pretty easy to cut off the bottoms and do the bottom panel again, stretchily.

Right now I can't get to the shops for interfacing, which I need for my dress; so I can guiltlessly ignore it for a bit and make DS' shirt, which I cut out a while back.

#322 of 606 Old 06-25-2013, 04:23 PM

Welcome Mamatowill.... anything counts in my book!Welcome.gifgrouphug.gif

#323 of 606 Old 06-27-2013, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Sleeve cuff plackets are hell.

That is all.

#324 of 606 Old 06-28-2013, 07:46 AM

Hi Mamatowill!  No.  I wouldn't count vanilla.  Just kidding :)  You make up your own points and projects!  It is cool:)  I have had an epiphany.  I have been hating my sewing room because it is too full.  Well obviously I need to move out something.  My upholstery machine is getting moved to the garage today.  That will make so much more room it will be amazing :)  Then I can have my serger and sewing machine both set up all the time.  See how wonderful that will be  and how much more productive I SHOULD be?  But seriously on my list- scrunchies and pillowcase dresses for Operation Christmas Child.  I would like to make about a half dozen sets.  

#325 of 606 Old 06-28-2013, 12:03 PM

I went and bought fat quarters of the fabrics I am thinking of using in my nursery today.  I had been thinking gingham, but when I saw this beautiful primary color selection of Moda Swirls, I was in love.  Now I have to convince my DH that "rainbow" is a good theme for a nursery.

#326 of 606 Old 06-28-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacvioletiris View Post

I went and bought fat quarters of the fabrics I am thinking of using in my nursery today.  I had been thinking gingham, but when I saw this beautiful primary color selection of Moda Swirls, I was in love.  Now I have to convince my DH that "rainbow" is a good theme for a nursery.

Rainbow is an excellent theme for a nursery...  just like 'eric carle' the hungry caterpillar or any of those board books ;)  so many different things you can do with 'rainbow'  You can keep that rainbow base for many  many years and just trade out accessories.   Great awesome idea mommy!!

#327 of 606 Old 06-28-2013, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter

31/52: Rural-looking checky shirt for DS. Ottobre said it was a "basic" shirt pattern, but it was ridiculously complicated for a barely-two-year-old; a yoke and pleats on the back, collar with collar stand, kind of unusually-constructed button band, a buttoned faux pocket flap, proper cuffs and the aforementioned hellish sleeve plackets with pointy bits. There were pictured instructions, but they were very confusing. Had to rip 'em out several times, and the fabric was fray-prone and kept shredding, and I had literally NONE left (I bought the fabric ages ago, when DS was smaller!), and it was all very angstful and turmoily. But I eventually conquered them... kinda. They don't look so neat on the wrong side.

Anyway it's done, and I'm pleased with it. Would take a photo, but the ungrateful shirt-wearer seems to have broken the camera by bashing it. Sigh.

And I got three metres of interfacing and another invisible zip the other day, so I am theoretically ready to tackle my dress again. I tried the bodice on and it was less awful than I remembered.

iowaorganic, what *is* an upholstery machine? I've never heard of such a beastie.

#328 of 606 Old 06-30-2013, 08:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Sorry the dress is giving you such fits, Smokering!  And I was all enabling about how it wouldn't be hard!  Still looking forward to seeing the finished product, if you have something to take a picture with :/  Oh, and cuff plackets?  That does sound rather hellish.

I've been knitting and spinning, and the projects are going great, but I'm just not feeling into it.  I'm mostly just annoyed at my lack of functional summer clothing and wishing I could be sewing instead.  But the knitting is so much easier to accomplish with the littles around.  So I knit, and feel vaguely annoyed about it.  But, I've got a plan to get some sewing done this week.  They are predicting record highs (up to 109 F!) this week, I NEED some breezy clothing. 

Mommy to DS1 bouncy.gifJuly '09 and DS2 baby.gif Oct '12

#329 of 606 Old 06-30-2013, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Ha! Not your fault I'm inept. :) Or the wrong shape for patterns-as-written, if it comes to that. I think I know what I need to do from here on in, I just have to do it. But first I'm making DS another shirt out of an old one of DH's. I'm cheating - using the original cuff plackets.

Funny, I find sewing easier to do with kids around. If I try to knit DS climbs on me and pulls the ball of wool and rips my work off my needles if I'm not looking. And I suck at knitting, so I'm usually trying to count furiously while the kids shriek around me. Last time I attempted to knit something, DS pulled it off the needles after I'd laboriously managed an inch and a half, and I gave up. I should probably start another knitting project to do during DD's music lessons, though. Buttonholes are my go-to portable sewing, but I don't have an unending supply of those.

#330 of 606 Old 06-30-2013, 06:46 PM

I finished both of the boys banners/hanging/whatever it is called to display their badges and buttons from our camping trips. My littlest helped with his winky.gif.

My oldest has outgrown all of his blankets so I was thinking I was going to be forced to buy a new one. I was at Walmart the other day and they have easy fleece blanket projects on sale for 11 dollars! This is the type of blanket where you cut fringes on two sheets of fleece and then tie them with a knot. My mom made my oldest a Thomas the Tank Engine blanket when he was little and this is the same type of blanket just bigger and with a hockey theme. I am hoping to be able to do it tomorrow before he gets back from camping. It says on the kit that it is an afternoon project and my mom said to use a square knot on the fringe. Now I have to Google how to tie a square knot. 

I bought items to also make these cute headbands that I saw online for my niece. I am very excited to try them.

Has anyone ever used Kool Aid to make tie-dyed shirts? Would any colour of Kool Aid work? I want to tie-dye some shirts for my kids but I can't afford to buy the kits so figured Kool Aid might work. Any advice would be appreciated.

Mama to two loqacious and bouncy boys.

Tags
Arts And Crafts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page